What snake is this?

seefah

Easy to tell the pythons because of the shape of their head.  No other snake's head looks like that.  And the pattern on their body is distinctive as well.  Don't kill it, it's harmless.  I've never seen a live one, I've spent many hours looking.  Monocled cobras and kraits are the most interesting ones I've found.

14 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Easy to tell the pythons because of the shape of their head.  No other snake's head looks like that.  And the pattern on their body is distinctive as well.  Don't kill it, it's harmless.  I've never seen a live one, I've spent many hours looking.  Monocled cobras and kraits are the most interesting ones I've found.

Your a braver man than I am.

I shudder the thought.

It's a retic.  Get help to remove it from the drain and release it to a suitable environment.  One was recently taken from a drain in Saphan Hin in Phuket as it was lodged in what it believed was an escape route.  While it has a food supply it would be much happier in the wild.  Do go report it.

18 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Opposite for me. Have found many Pythons but never found a live Cobra despite a lot of looking. Kraits have had a few.

Have even seen Phythons on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and Soi 49 in recent times in central Bangkok as well as many times when out looking for them. Seems that Cobras and Kraits are much more prevalent in the south.

55 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Opposite for me. Have found many Pythons but never found a live Cobra despite a lot of looking. Kraits have had a few.

Have even seen Phythons on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and Soi 49 in recent times in central Bangkok as well as many times when out looking for them. Seems that Cobras and Kraits are much more prevalent in the south.

We have at least one monocled cobra a week come inside my walls, they come in via the land drain from the jungle/tapioca field outside.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Thinking of writing a book on the name's of snakes....

Can't think what else the information could be used for.

That guy with the Thailand snakes website has a book on this subject already. And some info on how to treat bites and the like, the lethality of each snake, etc.. Might be worthwhile to buy, depending on where you live. I will probably buy it, since I will live in a rural part of Thailand and my girlfriend recently encountered a snake outside during night time. 

Het brother told her it was a cobra, but the guy from the Thailand snakes website told me it was a pretty harmless lurking snake (no poison, just sharp teeth). 

7 hours ago, csabo said:

It's a retic.  Get help to remove it from the drain and release it to a suitable environment.  One was recently taken from a drain in Saphan Hin in Phuket as it was lodged in what it believed was an escape route.  While it has a food supply it would be much happier in the wild.  Do go report it.

I would be very careful about where you sit!

2 minutes ago, masuk said:

I would be very careful about where you sit!

I wouldn't.  I have successfully bred Colombian Boas which produce live young as opposed to the egg producing local pythons which is considered difficult even among herpetologists.  I am confident in my snake recognition and handling abilities to the point that I know what I know and I also know what I don't know.  That combined with the fact that I always look where I walk and sit I wouldn't worry too much.