Run a red light 1000 baht - reckless driving 400 - comment rife on "new, double" Pattaya fines

webfact

35 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Quite reasonable fines IF applied consistently to all offenders and IF the dosh ends up in the actual real police coffers.....  They could get about 50K a minute from the lights at Theprasit and South Pattaya Road alone.

Not hard for a cop to make a heap of money booking people here Just sit on the traffic lights and you will have a ball

• Like 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

I used a pedestrian crossing this morning on Beach Road and everything, including motorbikes, a coach and a baht bus, stopped when the light turned red. I was pleasantly surprised.

You probably stood there in such shock that you forgot to cross the road :smile:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

what i never understand, is why not having a drivers license, or failing to register the verhicle or not having an insurance,  does not result in the confiscation of the vehicle.

They just pay their lump 400 Baht and keep riding/driving  

laws like these actually encourage driving without valid licenses.  Of course this says nothing about the driving skills of those WITH a license . . . just the same

cops need tea money is my answer Dah

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The worst red light jumping is on 2nd road heading North at Klang intersection. I'm very careful to let 4+ cars jump before i go through the green at Klang heading to the beach. Ironically the police are on the corner

6 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

To make any of these fines plausible, there needs to be cops on the roads!

As above, they are on the roads.

... but the smartphones are like a magnet.

Anyway, easier to stop a farang not wearing a helmet ... the Pattaya-Thais might run them over, if trying to stop them, when jumping the red light :wink:

• Like 1

I'll tell you what REALLY cheese-me-off: that U-Turn in front of the South-Pattaya Makro: many drivers use this U-turn to visit Makro. They wait and wait and wait and wait until ALL traffic North-Bound has passed, so they can cut right across the Sukhumvit to enter the Makro-Lot. However; by doing so, they cause delays for people who want to do an actual U-Turn by turning into the most far right-hand North-Bound lane. There are very clear SOLID LINES to lead people through that U-Turn: solid lines one may NOT cross . . . .  but yet: everytime I use that U-Turn - I'm stuck there for no good reason. Does anyone else share this experience ? ? ?

It seems to be this List belong only Farangs. Daily l notice Motorbikes without Numberplates, extremely noisy, wreckless behaviour, don't wear Helmets. Cars parking in 2. Row and blocking traffic, ignore red Lights etc. Nobody cares. Even not the Cops.

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Contrast this with the zeal and gusto with which their counterparts at the local immigration office levy considerably higher fines for what are clearly regarded as major crimes in comparison of failing to submit a completed TM30 or being late with a 90-day report!

And 10,00 for an e ciggie.

3 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

Driving with no insurance should be 1000 baht.

All repeat offenders of any traffic offence the fine should be doubled.

Driving with no insurance should be at least the price of a years policy....about 20,000, and mandatory to get a policy or car taken away.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Clearly you do not travel too much on a bike driven br an unlicensed falang!

Correct.  I don't.   I value my life and try to avoid riding on motorcycles.   A car gives you a little more of a fighting chance to stay alive on Thailand's roads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Contrast this with the zeal and gusto with which their counterparts at the local immigration office levy considerably higher fines for what are clearly regarded as major crimes in comparison of failing to submit a completed TM30 or being late with a 90-day report!

The reason being that farangs have no option but pay them otherwise you will loose your right to live here.

I read an article some time ago that the level of non payment of motoring fines is huge, I don’t know what the follow up procedure is, if any at all.

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Driving with no insurance should be at least the price of a years policy....about 20,000, and mandatory to get a policy or car taken away.

Fully agree as driving with no insurance and causing an accident is far more harmful to society, then taking a smoke on the beach and responsibly disposing of the butt!

5 hours ago, glasswort said:

To be a real deterrent these fines should  at least 10 times more. In addition I regard running a red light as dangerous driving and the two fines should be added together.

Maybe back home, where the average salary is 10x what it is here.  Compare them with the minimum wage of 300 (+/-) baht and they're pretty punitive for most locals.  Of course, for most of us, and the HiSo's they don't even register other then the PITA of paying them.  

I'd like to see fines based on annual income, or net worth so the Hi-So's wince when they violate the rules, and it doesn't devastate the average family. 

I recall reading a few years back where a wealthy Euro guy got fined over a million Euro's for speeding (or maybe that was an urban myth?).  Betcha he didn't do that again for a week or 2.

36 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I pay 5,000 baht for all the insurance I can get (without going into supplemental policies).  Pickup's too old for first class coverage but I'm maxed out on normal liability and medical.  About the same limits as back home.

... no front or rear lights, will there be at least some education of riding and driving with none ? 

PS, ... and educate the morons who drive with fog lights on, when there’s no ‘f’in fog !!! 

Edited by mindfulness
mind ya own business !!!

8 hours ago, champers said:

I used a pedestrian crossing this morning on Beach Road and everything, including motorbikes, a coach and a baht bus, stopped when the light turned red. I was pleasantly surprised.the 

I sat and watched the crosswalk at Pattaya Klang, for over an hour..about 50 percent stopped but only 30 percent of motor bike..