Extension at Jomtien Immigration not so simple

Wallander4

30 minutes ago, Jools said:

I should have known that not all embassies would have the options that we Yanks do. Since Australia is a much more progressive country than the USA, I must admit I am surprised that they don't have the same outreach options that we do. Thick skin is beside the point. Retirees are a huge benefit to the economy. We are treated as a burden on the state or a possible sinister, alien element in Thai society. There is no rational reason for the xenophobic paranoia of Thai immigration.

Thick skin is very much the point IMO. You need it when dealing with Immigration here. You need to let all the annoyances and aggravations flow over your head. 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I know people who have done it rather quickly, although I haven't tried it myself yet. It's definitely better than the lousy marriage extension nonsense here.

$6000-$8000 and 12-18 months to get your Thai wife into Australia. The OP can take his wife back to Australia if it's such a great option and he's unhappy with the arrangement here. I don't like the corruption or the lack of justice here, but it is what it is and I live with it. I keep my nose clean and enjoy the good things here.

Edited by giddyup

23 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

You're right Henryford, could do that but have a feeling that some new bs will emerge about retirement visa so I stick to my marriage extension ... after all we are married so why the harassment but I guess they don't want us here - maybe decide just to leave for homecountry with wife if it gets too weird here with their demands

"Witness - Officer explained that since we don't have children we will need a witness at every extension"

I was faced with this when I went back to do my 2nd extension at Sri Ratcha(same province) in 2015, also said they had introduced home visits for those without children, photos were unnecessary as immigration would take them during the home visit.

I changed the application there and then to retirement, fortunately there was enough on the income letter from the embassy(pre brexit) to cover the retirement income. Walked out an hour later with new extension.

Wow.  They're making you dance.  Sad, but their seems to be absolutely no uniformity to how immigration processes extension renewals.  For example, just regarding the picture of you and your wife.  I normally bring a bunch of pictures of us and the house, different angles, pictures with my step son and daughter in law, pictures of extended family, then I let them pick and choose.  Last extension that want a picture of us standing at the gate of the home with an address visible.  
Unfortunately, this is the type of immigration policy that results from extreme xenophobia. 

Edited by connda

On 11/30/2017 at 9:08 AM, Henryford said:

Yes why bother with all that. Just get an extension based on the 800k/65k a month, easy.

You can legally work on a marriage extension.  That's why some people maintain them.

13 hours ago, tropo said:

Absolutely right. Nothing is going to change. We know that and often this forum is just a way for disgruntled members to let off some steam. I'm just happy that I'm not here on a marriage extension as the way they are treated would leave a sour taste in the mouth. I'm kind of reacting to certain members who suggest there are no problems and everything is honkey dory... until some new regulation starts interfering with their own type of visa. I agree with another member who suggested that you're better off staying on the marriage extension as sooner or later they will bring in some new regulation to make retirement extensions much harder.

My words exactly - I predict that some rules will be introduced regarding Retirement Visa shortly. Could be mandatory health insurance chosen by Immigration (way overpriced of course) or a raise in monthly income. There's a reason why Imm try to make expats change to Retirement ...

4 hours ago, connda said:

Wow.  They're making you dance.  Sad, but their seems to be absolutely no uniformity to how immigration processes extension renewals.  For example, just regarding the picture of you and your wife.  I normally bring a bunch of pictures of us and the house, different angles, pictures with my step son and daughter in law, pictures of extended family, then I let them pick and choose.  Last extension that want a picture of us standing at the gate of the home with an address visible.  
Unfortunately, this is the type of immigration policy that results from extreme xenophobia. 

Yeah, they're making them all dance, and for nothing. Anyone can pose for photos, even if you don't live with your "wife", so what's the point? They prove nothing at all and just gives them an excuse to watch you dance. It's all very belittling. 

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Yeah, they're making them all dance, and for nothing. Anyone can pose for photos, even if you don't live with your "wife", so what's the point? They prove nothing at all and just gives them an excuse to watch you dance. It's all very belittling. 

What ticks me off is I have to 'dance' once or twice a year for these morons, but most people in my village know me.  Hell, I'm the only farang within a 25 mile radius of the village, and if they know me, they know I'm married to a Thai national and where I live.  
Personally, I'd just like to see immigration law applied uniformly.  That's all.  Not asking for much.

58 minutes ago, connda said:

What ticks me off is I have to 'dance' once or twice a year for these morons, but most people in my village know me.  Hell, I'm the only farang within a 25 mile radius of the village, and if they know me, they know I'm married to a Thai national and where I live.  
Personally, I'd just like to see immigration law applied uniformly.  That's all.  Not asking for much.

It's obvious that Immigration rules are often made by people who have a beef with farangs and simply want to make life more difficult for no other reason than jealousy. I frequently encounter Thais who are outraged that I do not work at all, yet draw an income that is more than most well-educated Thais. They seem to think we are, somehow, "getting away with something". They've taken most of our options for work away from us but they still think we're "stealing" from Thais. An amazing and perverted mindset.

14 minutes ago, BsBs said:

Visa run every 3 months and no need to speak to any official... you decide... but I usually decide to whom I speak to !

8 years here, never a visa run, report to immigration every 90 days and an extension once a year, cost 1900 baht.  Couldn't be easier.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

8 years here, never a visa run, report to immigration every 90 days and an extension once a year, cost 1900 baht.  Couldn't be easier.

I do not speak to these people even for an extension. I prefer to drive 3 hours to the border than reporting anything.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:17 PM, Wallander4 said:

You're right Henryford, could do that but have a feeling that some new bs will emerge about retirement visa so I stick to my marriage extension ... after all we are married so why the harassment but I guess they don't want us here - maybe decide just to leave for homecountry with wife if it gets too weird here with their demands

Yeah, and the marriage method gives you the option of working, if that is a consideration.  Retirement would not allow that.  But I am constantly baffled over how the requirements, photos, witnesses, agency visits etc.  keep getting levied.  I can understand some visa fraud and cracking down on that, but how often does that really happen?  Curious about how many farang marriage visas are out there, and how many are faked or at least known to be faked.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, Wallander4 said:

Yes, they make it up. In Samui I'd have to get a Drs certificate for my retirement extension. 

It does seem though, that marriage extensions are exceptionally prone to being messed about because they apparently don't like the extra work.

I used an agency for my last and extremely happy with the lack of problems invented for me.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It does seem though, that marriage extensions are exceptionally prone to being messed about because they apparently don't like the extra work.

That certainly used to be the case in Udon Immigration where they would make the marriage extension renewer sit for hours with wife, kid and whoever else was needed while they processed the 'easier' renewals and other stuff. Didn't matter how early you were, how smartly dressed you were, once they asked what extension you needed, it was a back-of-the-bus job. Once you got invited to a desk, usually in the afternoon, they kept banging on about how much easier it would be if you switched to retirement type and whining about the paperwork. Then for a while they started adding a 30-day 'approval' process for retirement extensions, same as marriage extensions with the bare-faced lie that it needed to go to Bangkok for approval. Those that pressured staff were told that it could be done the 'old way' for an extra 5000 baht!

I think they've gotten over that now but back to the OP's struggles at Jomtien IO, there does appear to be extra due diligence on new applications being made and it doesn't seem to matter if one has a prior history of safe extensions in another province either. It looks like once you or anyone relocates, a can of worms is opened with the TM30 fine for not filing being the thin end of the wedge. Another poster has suggested that for now, Jomtien has settled on a one-off 2000 baht fine for not reporting address change instead of back-dating and wallet raping. I guess the new TM30 room has been truly bought and paid for.

On 11/30/2017 at 12:19 PM, giddyup said:

Rubbish! Never had a problem with immigration in 8 years. Try staying in Australia indefinitely (foreigner) and see how many hoops you have to jump through.

Really? I spent 5 years in Australia - all visa done online from my comfy home and absolutely no issues

And I was never threaten like second class human being, even the first year when I hardly could speak English

Edited by Coconut007

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2560 at 11:05 AM, giddyup said:

Try to read what people write .... its not easy - cant you just get it or do you work at Immigration or stupid Tourist Police ?

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That certainly used to be the case in Udon Immigration where they would make the marriage extension renewer sit for hours with wife, kid and whoever else was needed while they processed the 'easier' renewals and other stuff. Didn't matter how early you were, how smartly dressed you were, once they asked what extension you needed, it was a back-of-the-bus job. Once you got invited to a desk, usually in the afternoon, they kept banging on about how much easier it would be if you switched to retirement type and whining about the paperwork. Then for a while they started adding a 30-day 'approval' process for retirement extensions, same as marriage extensions with the bare-faced lie that it needed to go to Bangkok for approval. Those that pressured staff were told that it could be done the 'old way' for an extra 5000 baht!

I think they've gotten over that now but back to the OP's struggles at Jomtien IO, there does appear to be extra due diligence on new applications being made and it doesn't seem to matter if one has a prior history of safe extensions in another province either. It looks like once you or anyone relocates, a can of worms is opened with the TM30 fine for not filing being the thin end of the wedge. Another poster has suggested that for now, Jomtien has settled on a one-off 2000 baht fine for not reporting address change instead of back-dating and wallet raping. I guess the new TM30 room has been truly bought and paid for.

The TM30 room queue was right out the door (of the TM30 room) when I went there a few days ago (last Wednesday) to report... and that was at 4 pm, 30 minutes before closing.

Where did you get the info about the 2000 baht one-off fine? 

16 hours ago, tropo said:

The TM30 room queue was right out the door (of the TM30 room) when I went there a few days ago (last Wednesday) to report... and that was at 4 pm, 30 minutes before closing.

Where did you get the info about the 2000 baht one-off fine? 

Member TaaSaparot posted this anecdotally based opinion in another thread on a similar matter.

Yes there ball.breakers. But there is a new boss. A young girl lovely girl. Hard but once you break through she will support you. 

All of the above is right the photos And  chanoutte for property. Just try to smile hard as it is.

On 30/11/2017 at 3:56 AM, johng said:

They wanted a "witness"  for my first extension..then second year not needed but third and all years after a "witness" required again

(because no children)

I normally give them about 6 photos  and they choose the ones they like...of course there is always another  "something" to photocopy

I don't argue any more just go out to the next door photocopy company and get whatever they want  :sad:

Yes