Alcohol ban at national parks to be strictly enforced

webfact

Alcohol ban at national parks to be strictly enforced

By The Nation

00e6ab7a6ce63433b8f17150cc979a38.jpeg

TOURISTS risk a jail term plus a fine if they step into national parks with alcohol beverages.

Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation’s director-general Thanya Netithammakun yesterday warned tourists to stay alcohol-free inside national parks. 

“Offenders are liable to one month in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt1,000,” he said. 

Thanya said he had instructed all park officials to strictly enforce the rule. 

“Those found drinking alcohol will also be immediately expelled from national parks,” he added. 

He was speaking as he received banners reading “National parks are alcohol-free zones” from the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, the Accident Prevention Network and the StopDrink Network. These banners will be installed at national parks across the country to ensure all tourists comply with the rule.

Rules banning alcohol beverages at national parks were introduced in late 2010 after a fatal stabbing inside the Khao Yai National Park. A brawl between tourists started because some drunk university students hurled a bottle of liquor at the tent of another student. A student was then stabbed to death during the fight. Thanya said his department was worried that drunkenness would cause accidents, further loss of life or property damage at national parks. 

“People visiting national parks yearn for nature. So, we will make clear no alcohol beverages are allowed,” he said.

He urged tourists to alert officials via the hotline, 1362, if they noticed others drinking alcohol. 

StopDrink Network director Songkran Pakchokdee vowed to help raise public awareness about the no-alcohol rule.

“Alcohol drinking often leads to brawls and accidents. When seeing others drink alcohol, people also feel insecure,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333102

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-04

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The witch hunt against alcohol continues in the rather characteristic those with power and influence forward and enforce their views on others "less capable of thinking for themselves".

No "Drink Responsibly" here just gaol time.

No glass of beer with your meal at the restaurant in the park now (or will dual standards accompany dual pricing as well?)

TiT

As the first poster (after the article) said, it could soon be bars and being reported by your landlord for drinking on their premises.

I remember about fifteen years ago climbing up Phu Kradueng (a national park) in Loei, took over five hours. As the only way to the top is by walking, following various stone staircases and various wooden ladders (there's no road), everything delivered to the summit had to been hand-carried.

There were groups of 'porters' whose job was to carry one package per day to the top.

This included beer for sale at the summit shop camp-site. The porters had one box of beer strapped to their backs, and a day to deliver it.

I suppose they're out of a job now.

16 minutes ago, samsensam said:

TOURISTS risk a jail term plus a fine if they step into national parks with alcohol beverages.

why only tourists? is this law aimed specifically at tourists and not people who live there or is it simply inaccurate reporting?

I'm guessing it was Thai tourists, as the report didn't say 'foreign tourists'?

So I'm assuming it means everyone.

Edited by bluesofa

I presume that the unruly behavior of mostly Thai holiday makers that

forgo all manners and public decorum when drinking  while in 

public places such national parks, otherwise, why are they

draconian measures for if not for the above reasons?.....

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Now you're getting carried away!

The government can't respond to that with a knee-jerk reaction. It affects peoples' health over a long time, rather than an instant 'bad publicity' news report.

Agreed.  I myself was thinking, murder in 2010 followed by law enforcement in 2017.  That sure is "knee jerk" Thai style.  I would like to see something less urgent.

Whereas I don't see any place for alcohol in NPs, it seems to me that a management that spends so much time on this issue at the expense of the very real ecological and access problems facing Thai national parks are just revealing how they are not really fully capable of running these great natural resources.