Germans see Trump as bigger problem than North Korea or Russia

webfact

tag_reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he departs for travel to Utah from the White House in Washington, U.S. December 4, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germans see U.S. President Donald Trump as a bigger challenge for German foreign policy than authoritarian leaders in North Korea, Russia or Turkey, according to a survey by the Koerber Foundation.

Topping the list of foreign policy concerns were refugees, with 26 percent of respondents worried about Germany's ability to cope with inflows of asylum seekers.

Relations with Trump and the United States ranked second, with 19 percent describing them as a major challenge, followed by Turkey at 17 percent, North Korea at 10 percent and Russia at 8 percent.

Since entering the White House in January, Trump has unsettled Germans by pulling out of the Paris climate accord, refusing to certify an international agreement on Iran's nuclear programme and criticising Germany's trade surplus and its contributions to the NATO military alliance.

Trump's actions prompted the usually cautious German Chancellor Angela Merkel to say earlier this year that Berlin may not be able to rely on the United States in the future. She also urged Europe to take its fate into its own hands.

In the poll of 1,005 Germans of voting age, carried out in October, 56 percent of Germans described the relationship with the United States as bad or very bad.

Despite Merkel's pledge, the survey showed deep scepticism in the population about Germany taking a more active role in international crises, with 52 percent of respondents saying the country should continue its post-war policy of restraint.

That may reflect the fact that neither Merkel nor her main challengers in the recent election campaign talked much about how Germany should respond to the challenges posed by Trump's disruptive presidency and Britain's looming departure from the European Union.

Last week, Norbert Roettgen, a member of Merkel's conservative party and head of the foreign affairs committee in the Bundestag, decried a "deplorable" lack of leadership in educating Germans about the need to invest more in their own defence and security.

(Reporting by Noah Barkin; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-05

Easy to understand the German people's concern over Trump. It may be time that the other. N.A.T.O. countries declare the USA under Trump a rogue state and expell it from the alliance. I would defenàtely support that.

29 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

.in fact,  if it snows tomorrow,  it will also be Trump's fault ?!!

Trump: "I will quit the Paris Climate Agreement."

Putin: "Great idea, so it's not always my fault when there is shitty weather somewhere in the world."

(no kidding)

44 minutes ago, pegman said:

Easy to understand the German people's concern over Trump. It may be time that the other. N.A.T.O. countries declare the USA under Trump a rogue state and expell it from the alliance. I would defenàtely support that.

The Germans know from such white nationalist "populist" authoritarians. Listen to the Germans about that. 

41 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

It seems  very trendy and fashionable to bash Trump and the USA for any reason.......in fact,  if it snows tomorrow,  it will also be Trump's fault ?!!

"Since entering the White House in January, Trump has unsettled Germans by pulling out of the Paris climate accord, refusing to certify an international agreement on Iran's nuclear programme and criticising Germany's trade surplus and its contributions to the NATO military alliance."

Clearly, their misgivings are merely a fashion statement.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Topping the list of foreign policy concerns were refugees, with 26 percent of respondents worried about Germany's ability to cope with inflows of asylum seekers.

Only 26 % ?? Sure go worry about Trump &  NK . :whistling:

38 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I am liking the Trump administration and appreciation that he putting a spot light on the bias media and, stirring the swamp and, rubbishing Theresa  May.  All perfectly justified in my book.

Lol but I bet you get your news off Fox News. Which means you are getting a small subset of news and is as biased as it comes. When bad news about the Trump administration breaks, Fox barely touches it and instead runs all day segments on, "What about Hillary?" I'd guess they are about as biased as it gets, unless you get to more extreme smaller things like the Young Turks (on the opposite side). 

Stirring up the swamp? The Trump administration is the swamp. The "tax reform" which raises taxes on poorer Americans to give a massive tax break to the wealthiest is a perfect example of that. The Theresa May comment was confusing considering she it not exactly a Trump ally at this point.

Edited by jcsmith

58 minutes ago, jcsmith said:

Lol but I bet you get your news off Fox News. Which means you are getting a small subset of news and is as biased as it comes. When bad news about the Trump administration breaks, Fox barely touches it and instead runs all day segments on, "What about Hillary?" I'd guess they are about as biased as it gets, unless you get to more extreme smaller things like the Young Turks (on the opposite side). 

Stirring up the swamp? The Trump administration is the swamp. The "tax reform" which raises taxes on poorer Americans to give a massive tax break to the wealthiest is a perfect example of that. The Theresa May comment was confusing considering she it not exactly a Trump ally at this point.

Come on, I live in rural Thailand, the idea that I watch fox news or any other single broadcast tower is tripe. Cleanse yourself and accept the will of the people.

4 hours ago, pegman said:

The German government decided that it would be a good idea to collapse their boarders, and the result is horrific.

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

It seems  very trendy and fashionable to bash Trump and the USA for any reason.......in fact,  if it snows tomorrow,  it will also be Trump's fault ?!!

Well many would say he has brought this upon himself.

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

Come on, I live in rural Thailand, the idea that I watch fox news or any other single broadcast tower is tripe. Cleanse yourself and accept the will of the people.

You get your news from somewhere. I live in Thailand as well, there are streams for all the popular news channels. The whole cleanse yourself and accept the will of the people argument is silly.

a) The majority of American's did not vote for Donald Trump (though he was legitimately elected, with an assist from Russia)

B) No matter who is in office they are subject to criticism. The reason Trump gets more than others is because he deserves it more than others. He makes ridiculous statements and ridiculous policies and attacks people more than any politician I can think of, often in a very childish way. 

By your logic everyone should just accept Trump saying or doing whatever he pleases because he is the president. I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Tilacme said:

I am liking the Trump administration and appreciation that he putting a spot light on the bias media and, stirring the swamp and, rubbishing Theresa  May.  All perfectly justified in my book.

Perhaps you also agree with Trump on the following:

>>>  women seeking abortions should be criminalized,

>>>  Russia should work with the US to counter computer/online crimes, and

>>>  Obama is a foreigner (for 5 years), then Obama was born in Hawaii (for 11 months), then back to Obama is a foreigner.

As for Germany.  I'd venture that months ago, at least since Trump told highly secure secrets to Russian agents (in the Oval Office, with only Russian press corps allowed inside), .....that Germany and other US-friendly countries decided not to share any sensitive intel with the US.  Trump can't be trusted on any level.   .....except maybe by Putin.

From the OP:

The headline:

Quality reporting.

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

100% of my American friends (I've lived and worked there three times) think Delta Tango is a moron and an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

100% of my American friends (I've lived and worked there three times) think Delta Tango is a moron and an embarrassment.

The Americans I know , like him , are glad he won , although not happy with all his decisions.

Trump is arguably the most ruthless and stupid president in US history. Trump would sell all his friends for money. Well, the US has not so many friends now

Trump destroyed a lot. Except for the Saudis, which he loves as customers for his weapons. 

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

The Americans I know , like him , are glad he won , although not happy with all his decisions.

I lived in Cambridge MA, Austin TX and Los Gatos CA

Maybe I just don't know the right kind of Americans? ?

14 hours ago, Tilacme said:

You need a better news source. He only spotlights media bias when it's against him. He's filling the swamp, not draining it.

Most Americans did NOT vote for him! That is fact!  FOX News is not news, it should be renamed Fox Entertainment Channel. It is disgustingly biased and for most Americans very disturbing to see and hear the utter garbage this wannabe news station puts out. Should be banned!!

35 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

The only valid reason for Trump to exist as President is so that the American people finally unify and demand a complete overhaul of their political system.

If that happens, it will be worth the BS we're going through. It's desperately needed.

13 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Their economy is a shambles:

Germany books record low unemployment despite political woes

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1130/923929-german-unemployment/

Trumpettes (and probably Trump himself as well) will cry 'FAKE NEWS', but they get their info from Faux News and Breitbart and such sources, so they don't know any better. Fact is that Germany is and will remain the powerhouse of the EU economy. Come on Brexiteers, what do you have to say about that?