Changing from Extension of stay back to non O visa

Is it possible (or wise) to change back from Extension of stay (Thai wife) to Non O visa (Thai wife)?

My last non O visa was issued in Gibraltar  in 2013.

I have subsequently obtained annual Extension of stays in Chiangmai

I would rather have , a multy entry non O visa and do a a border run .

But be aware that different Consulates will require different items to issue such visas these days - multi entry being the most restricted (which seems to be what you want).  Savannakhet seems to be the least paperwork currently.  If you do not have other reasons for travel you might find the new entry trips get to be a PIA after awhile.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But be aware that different Consulates will require different items to issue such visas these days - multi entry being the most restricted (which seems to be what you want).  Savannakhet seems to be the least paperwork currently. 

Reports indicate HCMC is the same - Signed Copies of Marriage-Cert, Wife's Housebook, Wife's ID Cart - and original of Marriage Cert to show.  No financials, as with most Thai consulates world-wide.  Penang and KL in Malaysia want to see the financials.

Multi-Entry Visas cannot be obtained from "honorary" consulates any more - so if looking to visit a consulate in your passport-country for subsequent Non-O Multi-Visas, this is something to consider.

• Like 1

Multi-Entry Visas cannot be obtained from "honorary" consulates any more - so if looking to visit a consulate in your passport-country for subsequent Non-O Multi-Visas, this is something to consider.

I would say this depends and possibly will change - I got my Non-o-multi visa from a honorary consulate in my home country.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, shiatsuman said:

I would rather have , a multy entry non O visa and do a a border run

But then how easy will it be for you to get the next multi-entry Non-O unless you travel to your home country or somewhere further afield than neighboring countries?

21 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

But then how easy will it be for you to get the next multi-entry Non-O unless you travel to your home country or somewhere further afield than neighboring countries?

He could continue to get Multi Non-Os based on marriage from Savannakhet, HCMC, etc.  Granted, that could change some day - at which point, back to the local-office rigamarole. 

38 minutes ago, wobalt said:

I would say this depends and possibly will change - I got my Non-o-multi visa from a honorary consulate in my home country.

This was recently stopped - but I recall a report of one who got something on the "no more" list, with an approval-step from an official-consulate in the country.  I'm not sure if they mail it to the official-consulate and back, or how that works.  The OP would be wise to check with the consulate he might want to use, to verify if possible and turn-around time.

Edited by JackThompson

This was recently stopped - but I recall a report of one who got something on the "no more" list, with an approval-step from an official-consulate in the country.  I'm not sure if they mail it to the official-consulate and back, or how that works.  The OP would be wise to check with the consulate he might want to use, to verify if possible and turn-around time.

Yes, it was stopped because of an incident at a not nearer specified Honorary consulate, which causes a collective punishments of all HCs. But it was different implemented in various countries. For the approval it is just a fax and a phone call, and basically now issued in 2-3 days. The visa is issued by the Honorary consulate as it was usual before.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wobalt said:

If this was within the last year, please let us know exactly when, and at which honorary consulate. There could be exceptions to the general policy, but I have not heard of any honorary consulates able to issue multiple entry visa (even with permission from the controlling embassy) for some time.