Thai shop owner angry that I parked in front of her shop.

doggie1955

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I find this troubling on many levels. Legally she does not own the street, but morally, she is trying to make a living and parking a pickup in front of her shopfront can affect her sales. She does not seem to be particularly wealthy and I would suspect that she, like many small shop owners, is hoping to make enough to make ends meet.

I would politely ask her if I could park there, and if she agreed, would probably buy a couple bottles of her cooking oil as I got ready to leave.

And I would not even consider videoing the encounter and using my limited Thai to call her names. Just not a very classy response.

Perfect post.  Calling somebody ting tong is over the top.  It's a horrible thing to call somebody else.  Unless you know them very well and they understand you are just kidding.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

If there's no red/white lines on the side of the road you can park wherever you want.

I'd tell her to go <deleted> herself.

i dont disagree with u but u will get your car or truck keyed/starched if you say things like that

Edited by catman20

16 hours ago, smutcakes said:

And no one cares if you are a US army Vet, i am not even sure why you need to mention it.

Nor that he does work with dogs and the Temples, none of which come with parking rights like a doctor on call duty.

It is aggravating in Thailand that people lay claim to areas in front of their property, which is actually public. Parking is quite a source of road rage.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only had a quick read, but the overwhelming opinion is that the OP is in the wrong for being insulting.

Can add me to the majority opinion.

If he wants to survive in LOS better learn how to behave quick smart.

Yeap.  If you're going to live here you need to learn how to be successfully intimidated.  And, of course, Lesson #2, the majority here is ALWAYS right!   Get with the program!

Just one question for the peanut gallery:  If that had been a Thai man parking in the spot, do you suppose the lady would have given him the same hard time?   Would a Thai man have recognized her "ownership" of the parking space?    

Edited by hawker9000

A few years ago Mrs. Kidd and I were looking for parking on a very busy road. We found a space, but I had missed it a bit and pulled too far forward into a red/white zone.

As I'm backing up a woman comes running out of a shop and throws a white plastic chair behind my truck. I stomped on the brakes, but it was too late and crunch, one broken white plastic chair now stuck under my truck.

I pulled forward in hopes to free the now broken white plastic chair, but it was stuck pretty good and just drug under the truck, all the meanwhile the woman is going bonkers on the side of the road, jumping up and down, waving her arms and screaming at us.

I put the truck in PARK and got out hoping to free the broken white plastic chair. The woman is behind me still jumping around and screaming.

Just then, 5 foot tall, 85 pound, and solid muscle Mrs. Kidd steps out of the truck walks up to the crazy woman and yells something at her (to this day I don't know what, and I'm afraid to ask), the crazy woman runs into the the shop and slams the door shut.

I freed the broken white plastic chair, threw it on the crazy woman's front porch and we drove off to find another parking spot.

11 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Does that make you a bible basher?
Lol..... bit of an over reaction though, “ting tong” is hardly much of an insult.

Sent from my house using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not sure if true but have read the term "ting tong" is a bar girl created term and calling the average Thai that is very insulting.

23 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Just one question for the peanut gallery:  If that had been a Thai man parking in the spot, do you suppose the lady would have given him the same hard time?   Would a Thai man have recognized her "ownership" of the parking space?    

First question: there's a fair chance she would have done. If you've never heard Thais letting other Thais have it in these kinds of situations, then you need to get out more. 
Second question: some would, some wouldn't. Some would handle it in a much better way than the OP, and a few, but I bet it would only be a few, would end up in a more confrontational situation than the OP.

Its not only the Thais that claim they own the road in front of their business. I once parked in front of a French restaurant in Chiang Mai that was closed. I was gone about 30 mins and when I came back there was a large sign taped, and I mean taped all the way around, on my windscreen. The restaurant had opened in the short time I was gone. I ripped the sign off and rolled it up and went to open the restaurant door to give it back to them and was welcomed by a punch to the face from an old guy inside. The owner of the restaurant arrived at the same time and told me I can't park there. I politely told him he does not own the road. He told me he paid for and owned the footpath and road in front of his shop. My Thai gf was talking to a shop owner next door and she said he had many problems with people parking there including one motorbike he dragged out into the middle of the relatively busy road and left it there.

Points to ponder.

There is a big demand for various brands of common cooking oil and her shoppers need  parking space while the contemplate their purchases.

As a volunteer " Temple Dog" warden I hope you were trucking them to the vet to get then neutered.

As a US Army retired veteran I should think you have years of experience dealing with stupid.

Woman was wearing socks with flip flops.  

Whatever happen to common sense and being polite by not parking in front of her shop. ?

For one thing ....  the exhaust fumes would be pretty smelly and annoying to her and any customers.

She is trying to make a living with her shop and you parking there will block any traffic from seeing her shop.

Would it be the end of the world if you just acknowledged parking in front is inconsiderate and you parked a few doors along ? 

15 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If a shop/business needs vehicle parking for their customers or suppliers then they should rent land or private space for that purpose. Everyone has the same rights to  public land or roadways.

True, The encroaching is awful, they encroach the beach (or just claim ownership of it in some cases), the road, their neighbors home, the sidewalks as places to drive.  It's terrible.  The public space is not hers to police.  I appreciate she is trying to make a living but when you put your business on a main public road you gain visibility and convenience but lose access if you have no parking available. They are doing roadwork at the new tunnel in Chalong Phuket and it's hysterical to see all the homes and businesses that were cut back 3 meters to their original sizes.  I pull out of a small soi onto a busy road everyday and everyday the woman on the corner who sells coffee and tea hangs more and more empty paper bags and fake lemons out into the roadway blocking my view more and more not to mention the signs and motorbikes stopping in the road to make purchases.  Someone was killed there a few months ago and there have been numerous accidents.  I saw her doing her morning routine one day and politely told her she was blocking motorists view.  She giggled and walked away.  She probably thinks if there is a huge wreck, people will stop and be thirsty.  These people need to learn that boundaries matter.  In many cases it is a matter of safety.  Enforcement, once again, is the answer.  When common sense fails, hit'em in the pocket or level the place with a backhoe.

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

If there's no red/white lines on the side of the road you can park wherever you want.

I'd tell her to go <deleted> herself.

sounds like you will get on really well in Thailand .....     especially visit a few bars around Hua Hin & Phuket.

All I can say is......880,000+ people must have little to be doing?

With all the tragedy going on in this world is there nothing more important to be bothering about than a shopkeeper giving out about parking in front of her shop?

15 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

Calling her crazy is nothing, but what she was called me is way worse! I had one Thai Lawyer who saw the video already tell my wife that we can take her to court for what she told me... And yes it is bad!

Thai lawyer smells some legal fees to be made.

I like the OP. He's doing noble and compassionate work, making that shopkeeper's life easier. I can assure the vritics, that the shopkeeper is not collecting VAT, nor is she paying her fair share of taxes that  maintain the road. Yet, she claims ownership to public space.

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not uncommon for Thai businesses to claim the parking in front of their business for "their" customers and deliveries. Its also not uncommon for Thai people to respect the parking in front of businesses as belonging to that business, I know my wife doesnt often park in front of businesses, or she asks permission.It may mean the loss of a sale if a customer cant pull up and load 3-4 boxes of cooking oil, they go to the other shop.

If you are ever in business in Thailand you may appreciate this respect for others space.

People respect that the shop owner is trying to run a business etc and needs that space, in the same way, as it appears, you feel people should be affording you a level of respect for being a veteran  

There are also Thais who claim ownership of  national parks and public spaces. This woman is no different  than the jet ski thugs who monopolize beach space or the tuk tuk thugs who monopolize parking  space.  Isn't the veterinary clinic a local commercial enterprise? Isn't the veterinary office  entitled to lay claim to the road as well?  Why then is this rude, belligerent hostile woman given a free pass to grabbing public space?

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Perfect post.  Calling somebody ting tong is over the top.  It's a horrible thing to call somebody else.  Unless you know them very well and they understand you are just kidding.

Why is it horrible? Is she not behaving in a petulant childish manner? She';s a baby  laying claim to property rights  to which she has none. She is indeed ting tong.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Nor that he does work with dogs and the Temples, none of which come with parking rights like a doctor on call duty.

It is aggravating in Thailand that people lay claim to areas in front of their property, which is actually public. Parking is quite a source of road rage.

The veterinary clinic  can  lay claim to the same parking space since it is a business with equal claim, if not greater since it is providing a valuable service. In Thailand, the veterinarian occupies a higher social status than this  vendor of artery clogging oil. If one wishes to play the  Thai culture card, then the woman should be silent as per her station in life.

32 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Not sure if true but have read the term "ting tong" is a bar girl created term and calling the average Thai that is very insulting.

Good. She deserved to be treated as she was. She was rude and  disrespectful.

24 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

What a shit shop she has anyway!

Yes, but perhaps those TVFers rushing to excuse her abusive conduct  envy her success.

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Whatever happen to common sense and being polite by not parking in front of her shop. ?

For one thing ....  the exhaust fumes would be pretty smelly and annoying to her and any customers.She is trying to make a living with her shop and you parking there will block any traffic from seeing her shop.Would it be the end of the world if you just acknowledged parking in front is inconsiderate and you parked a few doors along ? 

What if there were no  parking spaces a few doors along?  Doesn't the veterinary clinic merit the same respect you demand for this vendor? The man did not leave his vehicle running. If she is that sensitive to vehicle fumes, then  it isn't the best idea  to locate one's stall on the side of a busy road is it?

OP is ok in my book and I respect and value his contribution to society. I am glad he is in Thailand making the place better. His compassion and kindness is praiseworthy.  As a military veteran, I doubt that he is easily intimidated by an enraged obese woman making obtuse threats. There is no need to cower in fear of these people.

Thai people believe that if there is a space on the road outside their home then they have the right to park there.  If they don't have a vehicle then they may allow others to park there.  In the case of shops / places of business, Thais believe that unless you are a customer doing business with that shop then you don't have the right to park there.  Even if you are doing business with them they may not allow you to park there i.e. it might be reserved for the owner / senior staff / VIP customers etc.  This us not the law but in many ways that is irrelevant as it is what the vast majority of Thai people do.

Edited by mstevens

What the OP does in Thailand for dogs etc ... has nothing to do with his parking in front of the shop.

It is completely irrelevant what he has done for Thailand ... in this case ..

If he has has a chip on his shoulder and will park wherever he damn well pleases then that's his problem.

I think it's just lacks common sense and he is an antagonistic person.

He calls the wife and first thing she says is make a video. Then he calls the lady ting tong repeatedly. Then put in on Facebook and see how many hits it can get. Then boasting on here it's got over 800,000 hits already.

I don't need to know anymore. .........arse

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

He calls the wife and first thing she says is make a video. Then he calls the lady ting tong repeatedly. Then put in on Facebook and see how many hits it can get. Then boasting on here it's got over 800,000 hits already.

I don't need to know anymore. .........arse

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

totally agree ....   and they wonder why some Thais dislike farang ..

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

totally agree ....   and they wonder why some Thais dislike farang ..

He's lucky he didn't have his camera shoved up his backside. Playing the American Vet card was just about the icing on the cake......... unless he meant he treated sick animals in America. 

I can see two sides of this.

He parked in front of the vet clinic and because a small part of the rear of his vehicle was over an invisible line she went ballistic and people are saying he should have given her respect. What about her giving the vet clinic respect because he was a customer of theirs. He is entitled to park there to unload the dogs for the clinic the same as this woman is claiming she is entitled to have the area for her customers.

But there is no need to be abusive by either party

18 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Why are you antagonizing them calling them tong tong. What is inflaming the situation going to do, if you need to park there and there is no where else to park convenient why dont you just go about your business normally?

If you are allowed to park there then fine, park there but what can you possibly gain by standing there calling them ting tong. If you have been here for a while you must be aware that nothing good is going to come from it and they are not simply going to change their minds and welcome you parking there.

Personally if there was anywhere remotely convenient to park elsewhere i would do. Life is to short to be getting into petty little squabbles with the locals even if you are strictly in the right.

And no one cares if you are a US army Vet, i am not even sure why you need to mention it.

May be he was a vet in the army?