Bought 12 Cows have limited knowledge

New Cowboy

15 minutes ago, kickstart said:

When I was taught  castation it was rubber rings before the calf was 7 days old ,or at weaning time calf  45 days old ,using a  knife ,did not seal the wound ,just lots of the pupal spray, use to de horn at the some time  ,once  castrated some 9-10  month old suckler bulls ,just stood in a cattle crush ,a bar across the back ,as you say get in close ,no  problems .but did use a local anathetic ,helped a lot .

In New Zealand , and  have seen it in the uk ,a red paste ,I think it had some  costic soda in , applied to the horn  buds when the calf is about 3-5 days  old ,burns  the buds, dose work well ,have seen it over here .does not work so well, 

I think in Thailand I would certainly go for the nippers, as very much lower rate of infection as does not break the skin, for dehorning would take the same into account, this is why I need to view an agricultural 'pharmacy' we carried a purple anti sceptic spray and a white antibiotic powder, I do worry about infection here and obviously head and <deleted> are not where you want infection to set in. So in reality before I even suggest de-horning I need the preventative medicines because if I do it once and there is infection it will not be allowed again for sure!!

Another question I expect the salve to assist with warts on the teat if they appear but will it work say on the leg, or do you guys know of an alternative?

Thanks

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, 473geo said:

I think in Thailand I would certainly go for the nippers, as very much lower rate of infection as does not break the skin, for dehorning would take the same into account, this is why I need to view an agricultural 'pharmacy' we carried a purple anti sceptic spray and a white antibiotic powder, I do worry about infection here and obviously head and <deleted> are not where you want infection to set in. So in reality before I even suggest de-horning I need the preventative medicines because if I do it once and there is infection it will not be allowed again for sure!!

Another question I expect the salve to assist with warts on the teat if they appear but will it work say on the leg, or do you guys know of an alternative?

Thanks

I can see where you are going with  dehorning , also depends on who does it and what age it is done  ,the photo of my irons,the best age  to de horn is 45-60 days ,you can get the horn bud out without any problem, then use the pupal spray .and may be used agine after 3-4 days ,lot depends on when it is done ,dueing the dry season ,not so many  flys about ,in the rainy season ,lots of flys ,and humid ,the wound  will take longer to heal.I have very few problems with infections ,if done at age .

But this is Thailand, again ,de horning in  Thai is  Dat-Khow, which is literaly, cut the horn , Thai's will wait  untill the calf is 3-4 moths old, or some times older, the horn is a growing horn ,not a bud, then thay will use a knife and cut the horn off at the base  ,and put an iron on the horn base ,now a Thai de horning iron is just a  pice of flat round bar , up to 3/4 inch wide  that will be red hot , and put on the horn ,it does not de horn ,as we know , just cauterizis  the wound ,then   the  Thai way   tooth paste is applied to the wound  thay say that tooth paste has a cooling effct on the wound.no pupal spray is used.

You can just see it ,that it would lead to infections, but surprisingly they is not a lot of problems ,the problems are later on in life ,if you see a cow with a club horn ,or a horn that looks deformed, that is because, the animal was at least 6 months old  when it was dehorned  ,and the horn as I said was just cauterized,the cells do not die ,and the horn grows in to a club/deformed horn . 

I would say 80% plus of farmers do not do they own dehorning, around here ,1-2 lads will travel around ,as a business dehorning calves ,most farmers will have their phone numbers, phone them up and come and dehorn there calves, the price  is about 50 baht for a 3-4-month-old calf .

For preventative measures after dehorning, the Thai way ,again , betel  nut , on the horn  Boon-Dang in Thai ,or no BS ,axal grease put on the horn ,flyes do not like either of these  .

As for warts on teats,could be wrong ,but can not see salve working ,for some reason warts seem a problem on cattle here , some Thai dairy  farmers pull them  off the cows teats  if they are small ,but  on the legs or around the eyes ,a popular place, salve will not work ,if they are small and only a few , Ivamectine ,will work ,inject  once then agine at 14 days,but if it is a dairy cow, and she is milking ,you can not send the milk for human consumption ,for 28 days ,wait untill she is dry . 

KS, we feed 50/50 Napier grass and corn silage, with 21% protein meal. Will use brewers grains if and when we can get them, though not easy to get them in this area.

We have a few rai of grass which we cut and carry, plus 2 small one rai fields they graze on. This time of the yr, have to irrigate the grass regular.

On 17/12/2017 at 1:36 PM, Khun Jean said:

I have some importer that sells barley for 300US$ per ton. Minimum 5 ton. I will grow it only a few days so it can be done in temperature/moisture controlled conditions (20ft containers). Not willing to buy 5 tons to get my process right. Also i would need to at least be able to inspect the quality, which is another difficulty. I'll get there but it will take some time.

Would rice do the job?

8 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Would rice do the job?

Hi JB

In a nutshell, no ,I use to think you could use rice , which is a pity,as  er, Thailand has a lot of it ,the reason is rice has to many broken grains , would result in a low germination ,and the protein  of rice is lower than barely . 

Rice 8.9%  protein.

Maize !0% protein .

Barley 13%protien .

15 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

Barley is best as KS showed because of the high protein.

My possible source for barley has only dehulled barley so the search continues.

Removing the hull prevents them from being sprouted as removing the hull is very abrasive and damages it.

A long shot, all beer produced in Thailand is made from imported barley,and barley varieties for making the malt ,are a high protein  variety ,ordenry feed barley will not ,do the  job .

So ,do brewers  import the barley themselves,  or is they an importer ,thats  imports  barley  then sells it on .

A big job for Mr Google.   

A long shot, all beer produced in Thailand is made from imported barley,and barley varieties for making the malt ,are a high protein  variety ,ordenry feed barley will not ,do the  job .
So ,do brewers  import the barley themselves,  or is they an importer ,thats  imports  barley  then sells it on .
A big job for Mr Google.   
I'm not absolutely sure but I guess they import the malt already.

4 hours ago, CLW said:
8 hours ago, kickstart said:
A big job for Mr Google.   

I'm not absolutely sure but I guess they import the malt already.

Brewers grains are the solid residue left after the processing of germinated and dried cereal grains (malt) for the production of beer and other malt products (malt extracts and malt vinegar). Though barley is the main grain used for brewing, beers are also made from wheat, maize, rice, sorghum and millet. In the brewing process, grains are soaked in water until they germinate and then dried to produce the malt (malting). The malted grains are milled and steeped in hot water so that enzymes transform the starch into sugars (mashing/saccharification). The resulting sugar-rich liquid (wort) is then boiled, filtered and fermented to produce beer (see Figure). Brewers grains are collected at the end of the mashing process, once all sugars have been removed from the grain. The remaining product is a concentrate of proteins and fibre that is suitable for animal feeding, particularly for ruminants (Crawshaw, 2004). Brewers grains are a highly variable by-product whose composition and nutritional value depend on the grain used, on the industrial process (temperature, fermentation, etc.) and on the method of preservation. Brewers grains are sold wet or dried, and can be ensiled (Blezinger, 2003).

HI CLW
             I never thought of that ,the reason  I said barley was imported ,is because  we feed brewers grains ,to our cattle ,and one guy near here sells 3-400 hunderd ton a month  to local farmers ,and it is the  same form of  brewers grains  that I use to feed  to cows  in  the uk, 

Has anyone been to a market lately and sold a cow,calf or bull and what price per kilo did you receive.

Still trying to get my head around not so much the OP's intentions but how many are required to fatten to make it viable.

I plan to go to my local market to check prices out but will be after new year.

Just thought I would add this description of a rai.  40x40 meters.    Funny how "40" pops up. In the USA the old saying was "plowing the north 40", referring to 40 acres, which I think was taken as about the amount of land a farmer could reasonably be expected to work and handle, or something like that

A rai (Thai: ไร่, pronounced [râj]) is a unit of area, equal to 1 square sen or 1,600 square metres (40 m × 40 m or 0.16 hectares), and is used in measuring land area for a cadastre or cadastral map.[note 1] Its current size is precisely derived from the metre, but is neither part of nor recognized by the modern metric system, the International System (SI).  The rai equals four ngaan or 400 square wa. The rai equals 0.3954 acres.

It is commonly used in Thailand and equals 16 ares, another unit that is based on the metre and commonly used in several countries. Although recognized by the SI, its use is not encouraged. The word rai also means plantation.

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Has anyone been to a market lately and sold a cow,calf or bull and what price per kilo did you receive.

Still trying to get my head around not so much the OP's intentions but how many are required to fatten to make it viable.

Guy near me was offered 97 baht a kilo for 560 kilo charolais bull by the meat man he did not sell him but managed to sell him private for 64.000 to a guy that wanted to breed from him the bull was a cracker . I have seen young bulls 8 9 10 months old brahman x thai being sold for 15.000 to 20.000 recently 21.000 was paid for realy well made good muscle young red bull he was a beauty . 

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

At the market the meat wagons are full at closing time many nice looking bulls the meat wagons will unload one and take a turn if you ever see anything on you like . Local markets to me start 4am prices are high at 5am 6am come tumbling down near closing time 9am at 10am its the meat wagon or take them back home . Real nice cows and heifers are still fetching decent money way above the meat man prices but prices are still down from what they were .

10 hours ago, Ronaldo777 said:

At the market the meat wagons are full at closing time many nice looking bulls the meat wagons will unload one and take a turn if you ever see anything on you like . Local markets to me start 4am prices are high at 5am 6am come tumbling down near closing time 9am at 10am its the meat wagon or take them back home . Real nice cows and heifers are still fetching decent money way above the meat man prices but prices are still down from what they were .

The problem here in Thailand is the market system is not the same as in our country's.

In this area they are few markets ,most sell cattle for rearing on ,any  good looking heifers will be sold for breeding ,the bulls ,the ones I have seen ,will be sold on for fattening ,any good looking bulls will be sold for breeding.

Ronaldo777  said that 21 000 baht for a  red Brahman x bull, he will go for breeding, same with any good looking heifers and cows ,if the heifers or cows are in calf , that will push the prices up  even more.

Thai's like red Brahman cattle, especially in Issan ,look in Thai farming magazines at the red Brahman bulls , some very nice stock, nearly all in Issan.and expensive to buy.  

Guy near me brought a red Indo Brazil heifer in calf ,to a red Indo bull ,60 000 baht ,if that heifer was bound for beef only,  not in calf  ,no more than  30 000 baht . 

Most fat cattle around here are brought on the farm, and taken straight to the slaughterhouse ,we have been selling cattle for 11 years now , dairy and beef sold them all on the farm.

FJ

Since this thread has started it has almost opened my eyes ,the difference in buying and selling cattle in Issan,and here in Lopburi and the pricing structure? (the OP) ,and the price of beef at our local markets ,here you could not sell beef at 300 baht plus Kg ,you Issan lads seem to know all about your local markets ,I would have to make a few phone calls just to find a market ,and when it is  being held ,so in answer to your question,I can not help you , you l will need some local knowalage, as you said ,a trip to your local market is in order , and some photos, for me it would make an interesting report .

The problem here in Thailand is the market system is not the same as in our country's.
In this area they are few markets ,most sell cattle for rearing on ,any  good looking heifers will be sold for breeding ,the bulls ,the ones I have seen ,will be sold on for fattening ,any good looking bulls will be sold for breeding.
Ronaldo777  said that 21 000 baht for a  red Brahman x bull, he will go for breeding, same with any good looking heifers and cows ,if the heifers or cows are in calf , that will push the prices up  even more.
Thai's like red Brahman cattle, especially in Issan ,look in Thai farming magazines at the red Brahman bulls , some very nice stock, nearly all in Issan.and expensive to buy.  
Guy near me brought a red Indo Brazil heifer in calf ,to a red Indo bull ,60 000 baht ,if that heifer was bound for beef only,  not in calf  ,no more than  30 000 baht . 
Most fat cattle around here are brought on the farm, and taken straight to the slaughterhouse ,we have been selling cattle for 11 years now , dairy and beef sold them all on the farm.
FJ
    Since this thread has started it has almost opened my eyes ,the difference in buying and selling cattle in Issan,and here in Lopburi and the pricing structure? (the OP) ,and the price of beef at our local markets ,here you could not sell beef at 300 baht plus Kg ,you Issan lads seem to know all about your local markets ,I would have to make a few phone calls just to find a market ,and when it is  being held ,so in answer to your question,I can not help you , you l will need some local knowalage, as you said ,a trip to your local market is in order , and some photos, for me it would make an interesting report .
Thanks KS for the clarification. I was a bit confused.
At my home there are two different ways to sell cattle. If it's for breeding or fattening you sell it a the auction. If it's for meat, you take it straight to the slaughterhouse.
It seems that in Thailand it is some kind of mixed market. I would guess because of some selling pressure / urgent need of money?
That would explain the meat trucks at the auction...

On 24/12/2017 at 10:32 AM, CLW said:

Thanks KS for the clarification. I was a bit confused.
At my home there are two different ways to sell cattle. If it's for breeding or fattening you sell it a the auction. If it's for meat, you take it straight to the slaughterhouse.
It seems that in Thailand it is some kind of mixed market. I would guess because of some selling pressure / urgent need of money?
That would explain the meat trucks at the auction...

If you go back 2 years, they is a thread ,on why  Thai's keep beef cattle , most posts are from nonfarming members, who can not understand whyThai's keep these bags of bones you see grazing beside the roads.

Most  are a low investment, enterprise,and often  like a bank ,as you say where they is a need for money  some are sold .as for going for meat ,some fitter  ones will be ,a lot will be brought by someone who will  rear them on,to be sold  again , when money is needed.

Dairy farms are the same thay will sell an  in calf heifer ,when things get  tight ,ie a payment to the bank .

• 1 month later...
Hi Kickstart.....  well I cannot doubt your knowledge or experience and also Thoongfoned say's "Your the Man"  so that is great to know that I am getting good advice....But,,, I am a bit daft maybe so perhaps you can advise on my confusion with your pricing manner/suggestion over my personal experience of cow selling,,,>>>Here goes,,,
I visited the Feed Company premises up near Surin, last May.. They sell feed and buy your cows if you buy their feed... I saw a que of 5 or 6 vehicles with cows on the back..  Mostly 1 cow per vehicle(local farmers). They drove onto a weighbridge with cow, weighed, drove off, then returned after unloading cow to get weighed again.... I followed the full process of 2 vehicles.... including discussion with the driver/owner of the cows. Guy 1 cow weighed 630kg and he showed me the slip just given by the company. It was basically a receipt for a 630kg cow that they were paying 110bht per kg for. Total 69300bht.
The money was to be transferred by the company direct to the cow owners bank.(that is the only way they pay)within a few days.. Same routine for second guy,   572kg at 110bht per kg = 62920bht.......   These were live cows still eating and crapping... The guys were just selling because they wanted money and they thought the cows were not going to get any bigger...... 
So unless my maths is wrong it seems like I should expect a similar kg price(subject to current market price).... Which would suggest that if my cows reach 500kgs(which we feel is slightly low) I should expect 55,000bht...... Against my (Avg)purchase cost of say 22000bht. (bought by eye not by weight).... minus feeding cost  estimated at 10-12000 bht... (over 5 months). minus Transportation of 500bht each way.. plus say 4000bht labour per cow.... the rest is up to Buddha as my family say..... So very roughly I calculate 40000bht out over 5 months with a return of 60000bht(avg 550kg) after 5 months ,,,per cow.....  (subject to calamities)... (That is what I am basing  the costings, investment and projections on)
I hope you can advise on my confusion with your suggestion that I could be way out on expecting 55000 for 500kg cow...
Am I missing something big or obvious in between.....(basically by being a daft farang from the city)....
Thanks for your time and responses so far Kickstart.... 
Hopefully you will avoid any exasperation with my city simpleness/understanding  and guide me accordingly if you have the time...
Many Thanks.... Joe 

Just my shitty opinion.
I had a piggery in Phillipines . There were different quality feeds on the market. Each priced according to the quality of the feed. The very cheap feed produced a small pig at time of sale. The very expensive feed produced a ver big pig at time of sale. All pigs were sold at 4 months of age.
What was the difference in proffit after buying each of the feeds? SFA. Nothing.
Just thought ide give u this for free. Something for you to be aware of.
Cheers Cobbler

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

For sure you all know this, just look at the crude protien 16%.
Visited a farm in bangsaphan area 300 rai with 500 breeders .totaling 600 head. 5 or 6 staff. Cherolet ( sorry for the spelling) crossed with simentol and i think was a bit of native in there. Colour were all mustard colour.
150 rai of napier. 150 rai of star grass was all they were growing. Had a bit of molasas in the shed. Also rice straw in the shed for very wet weather
Hope its ok i pop this in here.

zac b. sarian
Skip to content
zac b. sarian
Close Menu

HOME
ABOUT
ABOUT Zac
ABOUT Arvee
BLOG
SARIAN FARM
PARTNERS
SERVICES
FAQ

A Super Grass From Thailand

Agri Ideas
Agri People
Agri Tips
Agri Travel
Farming Tech

zbsarian June 1, 2013
DR. KRAILAS KIYOTHONG with 59-days-old Napier Pakchong 1 in the plantation of Narongchai Deepraman

A new hybrid Napier grass is the talk of the town among dairy farmers in Thailand. The Thai Department of Livestock Development (DLD) calls it Napier Pakchong 1 but it might as well be called Super Grass.

Why? Because it is so nutritious. It is claimed to contain 16 -18 percent crude protein. It is very fast growing and high-yielding. One rai or 1,600 square meters can yield 20 tons of herbage per harvest and since there are 4 cuttings a year, that’s 80 tons per rai. That’s equivalent to 500 tons per hectare in one year. That means one hectare can produce enough grass to feed 50 dairy cows in one year. It also means that 16 hectares can already take care of 800 dairy cows!

The Super Grass was developed by Dr. Krailas Kiyothong, animal nutritionist and plant breeder of the Department of Livestock Development in Pakchong, Nakhon Ratchasima province, Thailand. He developed Napier Pakchong 1 by crossing the Pennisetum purpureum with Pearl Millet (Pennisetum glaucum). We have learned that India has also developed a cross of P. purpureum and P. glaucum but the Indian cross is not as spectacular as this one in Thailand.

The Super Grass is very palatable because the stalks are tender. It has a wide range of adaptability so that many farmers can benefit from it. Harvesting is done at intervals of 60 to 70 days. The first harvest, however, is made three months from planting. Then succeeding harvests are every 60 to 70 days. The stalks are cut close to the ground, and in no time, new shoots or ratoon will come out.

It has other uses aside from fresh feed for farm animals. If there is excess harvest because there are not enough animals to eat the newly cut grass, the same could be shredded and made into silage. The shredded leaves and stalks could also be made into organic fertilizer by mixing the same with cattle manure.When shredded into fine particles, the same could be fed to vegetable-eating fish like tilapia and Pangasius.

Planting materials, setts or cuttings, are now being bought by livestock farmers from Malaysia. Filipino livestock raisers are not far behind, however. Danilo Fausto who heads a Murrah buffalo cooperative in Nueva Ecija, Dr. Libertado Cruz of the Philippine Carabao Center, and Juan P. Lozano of the Batangas Dairy Cooperative have already ordered their own planting materials.
Danilo V. Fausto, Dr. Krailas Kiyothong (the plant breeder),
Zac B. Sarian, and Narongchai Deepraman, the grass farmer.
Napier Pakchong 1 being shredded, either for silage making or for making organic fertilizer by mixing the same with cow manure. If shredded into fine particles, it could be fed to fish.
You might also like:
QUYNH ANH: Vietnam’s Fried Fruits & Roots Specialist
PORKGANIC: New Product From Costales Nature Farms
YELLOW INSECT TRAP: For Those Who Don’t Like Chemical Sprays
THAI MANGOES: Very Nice To Eat As Green Fruit
IN VICTORIA, MINDORO: Calamansi Rehab Project
Linkwithin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share this:

Save
inShare
Email
Print

Big Money From Super NapierJune 3, 2013In "Agri Ideas"

Super Napier Planting GuideMay 13, 2014In "Agri News"

A Bigger Market For Super NapierOctober 7, 2013In "Agri Ideas"
Posted in Agri Ideas, Agri People, Agri Tips, Agri Travel, Farming Tech
Post navigation
How To Produce Bigger, Sweeter Fruits
Thai Kamachile Seedlings In Sarian Farm
7 thoughts on “A Super Grass From Thailand”

Philip Credo says:
June 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm

We have now BANA GRASS (Hybrid of Pennisetum Purpureum and Pennisetum Typhoidum)here in the philippines. Much more like with that super napier or better i think. You can check it out with your own eyes. We have here in in pampamga. Check this website: http://www.mackaygreenenergy.ph
matricafranca says:
April 14, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Sir, do you sell stem cuttings of this?Please send me any info on how to avail this kind of grass. You can send it to matricafranca@ yahoo.com, thank you!
zbsarian says:
May 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm

We now have available planting materials, three-node cuttings, which are easy to germinate. These are available at the Sarian Farm in Teresa, Rizal. Call or text 0917-841-5477 for info on how to avail yourself of the planting materials.
aileen villarosa says:
October 2, 2014 at 11:31 am

at what province sir?
Renato P. Valdez says:
July 10, 2015 at 11:01 am

Sir what is the fertilizer recommendation for Pakchong 1 to get the 16-18 % CP that they are claiming and at what age of cutting? We sent some samples for CP analysis and we got only 10.5 at 28 days old, 9.34 at 35 days old, 6.11 at 42 days old and 6.334 at 45 days old
marumo says:
November 8, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Can I get supper grass i”m in africa in botswana
zbsarian says:
November 8, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Sorry, we are not sure if there is a source there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment

Name *

Email *

Website

Sign me up to subscribe!

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.
Search for:
Social

View zacsrian’s profile on FacebookView zacbsarian’s profile on TwitterView zacsarian’s profile on Instagram

HOME
ABOUT Zac
AGRI EVENTS
AGRI IDEAS
AGRI NEWS
AGRI PEOPLE
AGRI TIPS
AGRI TOURS
AGRI TRAVELS
HORTICULTURE
FARMING
PARTNERS
SERVICES
FAQ

PARTNERS

AGRICHEXERS
ALLIED BOTANICAL
ASHITABA TEA by ADELLE
ATISCO
AZTEC SPIRULINA
COSTALES NATURE FARMS
DIOKO RESORT & ECO TOURISM PARK
DURABLOOM
EAST-WEST SEED COMPANY
FIT COREA TRADING
RAMGO
RIGHT AGRI
SARIAN FARM
UNAHCO

READ THE LATEST NEWS

Bayer’s High-Tech Hybrid Rice Seed Conditioning Line Facility Launched January 26, 2018
CREATIVE DECORATIVE ARRANGEMENT: By Renita U. Beronilla, Hortanova Farm January 25, 2018
CHAISIM: A Veggie That More Filipinos Should Plant And Eat January 25, 2018
HE BOUGHT THE SAME BREED THAT THE JAPANESE EMPEROR ORDERED FOR HIS FARM January 22, 2018
He Transformed A Scrubland Into A Productive Orchard January 22, 2018
HIS BEST EVER ONION CROP: He Made P1,290,000 From 8,000 Sq.M. January 20, 2018
We Should Try The Thai Warty Pumpkins In The Philippines January 19, 2018

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 10,139 other subscribers

Email Address

INFO

ABOUT Zac
ABOUT Arvee
BLOG
SERVICES
FAQ
CONTACT US

SERVICES
PRESS RELEASE
INVITATIONS
ADVERTISE
Social

View zacsarian’s profile on FacebookView zacbsarian’s profile on TwitterView zacsarian’s profile on Instagram

SARIAN FARM

SARIAN FARM
SARIAN FARM PRESS
SARIANFARM ONLINE
CONTACT US

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Email Address

All rights reserved @zacsarian.com 2012-2016

For sure you all know this, just look at the crude protien 16%.
Visited a farm in bangsaphan area 300 rai with 500 breeders .totaling 600 head. 5 or 6 staff. Cherolet ( sorry for the spelling) crossed with simentol and i think was a bit of native in there. Colour were all mustard colour.
150 rai of napier. 150 rai of star grass was all they were growing. Had a bit of molasas in the shed. Also rice straw in the shed for very wet weather
Hope its ok i pop this in here.

zac b. sarian
Skip to content
zac b. sarian
Close Menu

HOME
ABOUT
ABOUT Zac
ABOUT Arvee
BLOG
SARIAN FARM
PARTNERS
SERVICES
FAQ

Agri Ideas
Agri People
Agri Tips
Agri Travel
Farming Tech

zbsarian June 1, 2013
DR. KRAILAS KIYOTHONG with 59-days-old Napier Pakchong 1 in the plantation of Narongchai Deepraman

A new hybrid Napier grass is the talk of the town among dairy farmers in Thailand. The Thai Department of Livestock Development (DLD) calls it Napier Pakchong 1 but it might as well be called Super Grass.

Why? Because it is so nutritious. It is claimed to contain 16 -18 percent crude protein. It is very fast growing and high-yielding. One rai or 1,600 square meters can yield 20 tons of herbage per harvest and since there are 4 cuttings a year, that’s 80 tons per rai. That’s equivalent to 500 tons per hectare in one year. That means one hectare can produce enough grass to feed 50 dairy cows in one year. It also means that 16 hectares can already take care of 800 dairy cows!

The Super Grass was developed by Dr. Krailas Kiyothong, animal nutritionist and plant breeder of the Department of Livestock Development in Pakchong, Nakhon Ratchasima province, Thailand. He developed Napier Pakchong 1 by crossing the Pennisetum purpureum with Pearl Millet (Pennisetum glaucum). We have learned that India has also developed a cross of P. purpureum and P. glaucum but the Indian cross is not as spectacular as this one in Thailand.

The Super Grass is very palatable because the stalks are tender. It has a wide range of adaptability so that many farmers can benefit from it. Harvesting is done at intervals of 60 to 70 days. The first harvest, however, is made three months from planting. Then succeeding harvests are every 60 to 70 days. The stalks are cut close to the ground, and in no time, new shoots or ratoon will come out.

It has other uses aside from fresh feed for farm animals. If there is excess harvest because there are not enough animals to eat the newly cut grass, the same could be shredded and made into silage. The shredded leaves and stalks could also be made into organic fertilizer by mixing the same with cattle manure.When shredded into fine particles, the same could be fed to vegetable-eating fish like tilapia and Pangasius.

Planting materials, setts or cuttings, are now being bought by livestock farmers from Malaysia. Filipino livestock raisers are not far behind, however. Danilo Fausto who heads a Murrah buffalo cooperative in Nueva Ecija, Dr. Libertado Cruz of the Philippine Carabao Center, and Juan P. Lozano of the Batangas Dairy Cooperative have already ordered their own planting materials.
Danilo V. Fausto, Dr. Krailas Kiyothong (the plant breeder),
Zac B. Sarian, and Narongchai Deepraman, the grass farmer.
Napier Pakchong 1 being shredded, either for silage making or for making organic fertilizer by mixing the same with cow manure. If shredded into fine particles, it could be fed to fish.
You might also like:
QUYNH ANH: Vietnam’s Fried Fruits & Roots Specialist
PORKGANIC: New Product From Costales Nature Farms
YELLOW INSECT TRAP: For Those Who Don’t Like Chemical Sprays
THAI MANGOES: Very Nice To Eat As Green Fruit
IN VICTORIA, MINDORO: Calamansi Rehab Project
Linkwithin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share this:

Save
inShare
Email
Print

Big Money From Super NapierJune 3, 2013In "Agri Ideas"

Super Napier Planting GuideMay 13, 2014In "Agri News"

A Bigger Market For Super NapierOctober 7, 2013In "Agri Ideas"
Posted in Agri Ideas, Agri People, Agri Tips, Agri Travel, Farming Tech
Post navigation
How To Produce Bigger, Sweeter Fruits
Thai Kamachile Seedlings In Sarian Farm
7 thoughts on “A Super Grass From Thailand”

Philip Credo says:
June 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm

We have now BANA GRASS (Hybrid of Pennisetum Purpureum and Pennisetum Typhoidum)here in the philippines. Much more like with that super napier or better i think. You can check it out with your own eyes. We have here in in pampamga. Check this website: http://www.mackaygreenenergy.ph
matricafranca says:
April 14, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Sir, do you sell stem cuttings of this?Please send me any info on how to avail this kind of grass. You can send it to matricafranca@ yahoo.com, thank you!
zbsarian says:
May 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm

We now have available planting materials, three-node cuttings, which are easy to germinate. These are available at the Sarian Farm in Teresa, Rizal. Call or text 0917-841-5477 for info on how to avail yourself of the planting materials.
aileen villarosa says:
October 2, 2014 at 11:31 am

at what province sir?
Renato P. Valdez says:
July 10, 2015 at 11:01 am

Sir what is the fertilizer recommendation for Pakchong 1 to get the 16-18 % CP that they are claiming and at what age of cutting? We sent some samples for CP analysis and we got only 10.5 at 28 days old, 9.34 at 35 days old, 6.11 at 42 days old and 6.334 at 45 days old
marumo says:
November 8, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Can I get supper grass i”m in africa in botswana
zbsarian says:
November 8, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Sorry, we are not sure if there is a source there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment

Name *

Email *

Website

Sign me up to subscribe!

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.
Search for:
Social

View zacsrian’s profile on FacebookView zacbsarian’s profile on TwitterView zacsarian’s profile on Instagram

HOME
ABOUT Zac
AGRI EVENTS
AGRI IDEAS
AGRI NEWS
AGRI PEOPLE
AGRI TIPS
AGRI TOURS
AGRI TRAVELS
HORTICULTURE
FARMING
PARTNERS
SERVICES
FAQ

PARTNERS

AGRICHEXERS
ALLIED BOTANICAL
ASHITABA TEA by ADELLE
ATISCO
AZTEC SPIRULINA
COSTALES NATURE FARMS
DIOKO RESORT & ECO TOURISM PARK
DURABLOOM
EAST-WEST SEED COMPANY
FIT COREA TRADING
RAMGO
RIGHT AGRI
SARIAN FARM
UNAHCO

READ THE LATEST NEWS

Bayer’s High-Tech Hybrid Rice Seed Conditioning Line Facility Launched January 26, 2018
CREATIVE DECORATIVE ARRANGEMENT: By Renita U. Beronilla, Hortanova Farm January 25, 2018
CHAISIM: A Veggie That More Filipinos Should Plant And Eat January 25, 2018
HE BOUGHT THE SAME BREED THAT THE JAPANESE EMPEROR ORDERED FOR HIS FARM January 22, 2018
He Transformed A Scrubland Into A Productive Orchard January 22, 2018
HIS BEST EVER ONION CROP: He Made P1,290,000 From 8,000 Sq.M. January 20, 2018
We Should Try The Thai Warty Pumpkins In The Philippines January 19, 2018

Email Address

INFO

ABOUT Zac
ABOUT Arvee
BLOG
SERVICES
FAQ
CONTACT US

SERVICES
PRESS RELEASE
INVITATIONS
ADVERTISE
Social

View zacsarian’s profile on FacebookView zacbsarian’s profile on TwitterView zacsarian’s profile on Instagram

SARIAN FARM

SARIAN FARM
SARIAN FARM PRESS
SARIANFARM ONLINE
CONTACT US

Email Address

All rights reserved @zacsarian.com 2012-2016

Nice report. Do you have some pictures from your farm visit?

I know that Napier grass hybrid gives high yield but it also needs massive amounts of nitrogen fertiliser and adequate moisture / irrigation. Also it's not tolerating waterlogging so it could be a problem during rainy season.
I think in this thread or another one in the farming section TV member Michael Hare suggested other species that on par with napier grass and less demanding.

2 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

new cowboy, how are the cows doing, sold any yet?

Hi Thoongfoned...all of the information posted on this thread has been great. So much better response than expected and some really useful info  to go through and consider....

As to your question of any cows sold yet,,, the answer is NO...but one or 2 are imminent shortly.

We have 2 cows at around 600kg. They are in a que to be bought at current rate of 105bht per kilo by the feed supplier.

The buyer seems to have so many cows available to buy that he ques them up... As I am not in Thailand until May I am unable to explore other places to sell them... My  local family members only feel comfortable selling locally where as I will try to find other outlets when I get to Thailand (currently researching online but I don't think local beef farmers/buyers put too much info online)...... However at 105 bht per kilo it nearly hits my projection but I don't want to be governed when to sell by only 1 buyer. The cows will probably not go too much past 600kgs so I don't want to waste money just feeding them whilst waiting in a que.... I will consider trying to arrange for slaughter and selling if it shows a better business option in the future...

It is a big learning curve for me..... But its interesting working through it and I hope to get a lot more experience when I get to Thailand and start exploring a few other buying/selling areas and options....

I will keep you updated as I progress......  If you have any selling suggestions they will be most welcome..

Best wishes

Joe

Actually they did have some powdery feed. Looked like meatmeal. I madly was typing details into my phone as the manager was explaining everything to us. In english. But i missed the powdery stuff. I saw it and smelt it in the shed. My main reason for waffling on about this feed is this. It was very obvious they werent buying much food.

Archived