New point system aims to weed out bad drivers

webfact

New point system aims to weed out bad drivers

By The Nation

485175fb855a1fc2bf0e29e54ae88512.jpg

File photo

Police are working toward a new point-cutting system next month to try to weed out bad driver from the streets. And the first step, a ticketing system with a bar code, will be introduced this Sunday.

In the system, each motorist would start with 12 points that would be shaved down as drivers commit traffic offences. When a driver has lost all points, they would be banned for driving for a certain period of time, said Pol Maj-General Ekkarak Limsangkas, chief of the Police Ticket Management project.

Ekkarak said on Thursday that certain details of the project have yet to be worked out, especially how many points would be cut for each type of traffic law violation.

He said his team will create three categories – light, medium and severe offences – which would also have a certain number of points associated with them. Then each of the traffic offences would be assigned to one of the categories.

It is that last step that is so far still being worked out, as the police debate which offence belongs in which category with which number of points.

As a point is lost for a violation, it would not be returned for a year.

If all 12 points were erased, the driver would be banned from the roads for 90 days. If they are banned three times over three years, the Land Transport Department would be notified, they would have their driver’s license annulled, and they would not be allowed to drive for a year.

If they then get their licence back after a year, but again deplete their points, they may lose their right to drive for life, Ekkarak said.

He said his team is still considering a system for retraining drivers before restoring their points.

Ekkarak said if all details are worked out in December, the point-cutting system could be introduced as early as next month.

But first they must link the online database hosting driver’s licences to the database of traffic tickets.

As part of the new system, police will use new tickets with barcodes, which will be automatically recorded into the online ticket system, Ekkarak said.

He said the new barcode traffic tickets will be implemented on Sunday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333982

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-15

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

When a driver has lost all points, they would be banned for driving for a certain period of time

Since so many Thai driver don't bother with a license anyway I don't see this as being a tremendous advantage.  Thailand still needs a real police force to enforce laws in the first place.  If anything, it will only serve to encourage larger bribes to the BIB to turn the other way.  Certainly Thai driving is a problem but lack of effective, honest policing is a worse issue since it lets the reckless Thai drivers go unchecked.

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

But first they must link the online database hosting driver’s licences to the database of traffic tickets.

Mark my words: They won't be able to do this, so the points system will have to be put on hold for another year or two. (No, I'm not clairvoyant, just aware of the history of these things. :smile: )

Anyway, there's another hurdle to be overcome first. It starts with: "Do you KNOW WHO I AM?"

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Achilles Heal that will forever be broken down due to lack of maintenance...IF it ever works in the first place.

Ignoring the fact that over 90% of offences committed in front of the police are ignored by the police.

70%, say, of offences are settled with an unreceipted fine.

Each police station area is a mini-fiefdom so they will only report 10% of the receipted fines to the points database.

The staff at the points database will have I.T. problems or administrative problems meaning the system is down 85% of the time.

Upon hitting 12 points, the points database, presumably held by the police, would need to inform the Land Transport Dept to rescind the offender's licence. Such inter-deparmental communication only works around 8% of the time if you are lucky.

This proposal will never be implemented in Thailand in any working form in my lifetime which could be another 50 years.

There is no interprovincial communication here. Just ask one immigration office in one province to check on your information from another province. Not happening. Probably why you must do 90-day checks and annual extensions in your own immigration office.

Driving violations will not be known outside of the province they occurred in.  So, lose your license. Just move to another province. Start with a clean slate.

Listen to this, few years ago i had an accident where a pickup hit

me broadside not giving right way, the driver, a typical farmer type

driving a wreck he called a car that wasn't even roadwearthy

condition, had No driver's licence, No insurance and his vehicle was

NOT even registered, cut a long story short, my insurance couldn't get

any money out of him, and the police? they wearn't phased at all that

the man had no business  driving on the road at all, and they just let him

go saying, Oh, he's a poor man, mai pen rai.....

Over four decades ago, I had to learn this 12-point system in order to have  driving license. A 16-year old kid will study if a car is involved.  I learned that driving is a privilege, not a right.  The system does work. A good friend of mine went to prison for seven years for drunk driving. He never had a crash. He just like to drive slow and drink in the countryside. After three times, the judge said goodbye.

Will it work here? Sure. But it will be heavily seasoned with Thainess...

check.JPG

Edited by missoura

Again; Teach the cops how to drive safely & put them on the roads actively patrolling, ticket people for careless driving. Impound their vehicle for the second offense. Make it hurt (monetarily). Than some thought will go into passing on a blind curve with a solid yellow line. Heavy fines & jail time for running around like a maniac with no license. 

@ezzra; way to common.

The Government will do a U-turn (pardon the pun),it will 

"mulled" over and will be found to difficult to implement,

all those points and categories of offences.just like no  

passengers in back of pick-ups !

regards Worgeordie

I should add; the roads need massive work. More lanes also & probably a minimum speed limit. The ultra slow vehicles get many worked up to pass radically at high speed.

Never mind, it's hopeless.

Edited by r136dg
spelling

46 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Listen to this, few years ago i had an accident where a pickup hit

me broadside not giving right way, the driver, a typical farmer type

driving a wreck he called a car that wasn't even roadwearthy

condition, had No driver's licence, No insurance and his vehicle was

NOT even registered, cut a long story short, my insurance couldn't get

any money out of him, and the police? they wearn't phased at all that

the man had no business  driving on the road at all, and they just let him

go saying, Oh, he's a poor man, mai pen rai.....

Quite normal....

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

This proposal will never be implemented in Thailand in any working form in my lifetime which could be another 50 years.

I sincerely hope you live for another 50 years, Briggsy. But as I would like to see this system implemented, I have to, sadly, hope for your early demise. No offense, matey -- I hope you'll let me buy you a beer. Sooner rather than later, of course. :sorry: :smile::smile::smile:

2 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

Since so many Thai driver don't bother with a license anyway I don't see this as being a tremendous advantage.  Thailand still needs a real police force to enforce laws in the first place.  If anything, it will only serve to encourage larger bribes to the BIB to turn the other way.  Certainly Thai driving is a problem but lack of effective, honest policing is a worse issue since it lets the reckless Thai drivers go unchecked.

Which problem and which tentacle of corruption would you recommend addressing first then

9 minutes ago, RichardinHuaHin said:

Well  I think that since they cannot even enforce wearing helmets, broken lights or idiots that drive with no lights on.... I don't see how anything will change since there is no enforcement currently.

They don't have the money or sense to fix their lights but to a Man! each and every Somchai has the money to fit the noisiest exhaust on the market! The noisy bikes and trucks are not even on the Police radar, probably consider it would be too honest to take money for actual infractions! :shock1: