Best All-round 4x4

stament

Wondering what is the best allround new and second-hand 4x4 to currently buy and would welcome the experts views based on:

Performance

Driving experience

Resale value

Reliability

Maintenance cost

Discussions should be based on a New pickup and a Second hand pickup up to 3 years old.  

I have to say the Ford looks good but not happy with network where we live and I have heard parts can be difficult and expensive to source and waiting times which puts me off that. If I lived in USA that would be a different matter.

Triton to me just looks bit too bold shapewise, just dont like it. Having said that I have a new Pajero sport which I am extremely happy with.

Which leaves me to think perhaps the much loved snd tried and tested Toyota vs Nissan

21 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Have you looked at the mazda bt-50? 

No resale value. Only Isuzu and Toyota have that. Time will tell about Ford so far none to good.

On the last bit I don't know of any Thai locally that has or wants a ford, they all go for Isuzu or Toyota. Must tell you something.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

No resale value. Only Isuzu and Toyota have that. Time will tell about Ford so far none to good.

On the last bit I don't know of any Thai locally that has or wants a ford, they all go for Isuzu or Toyota. Must tell you something.

exactly my thoughts, resale value, maintenance, network servicing and parts availability is important as we are located oyrside Chiang Mai not in Bkk

12 minutes ago, stament said:

exactly my thoughts, resale value, maintenance, network servicing and parts availability is important as we are located oyrside Chiang Mai not in Bkk

Suggest you take a look at what garages you have locally. Have a gander at their service department on how efficient they seem. If they don't let you go round the service bays and have a look at how they do things give them a miss. Might give you an idea on what to expect, if you do have a problem anytime.

My local Toyota garage will give you a guided tour complete with free coffee and hot food if you want.

26 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Tells me they are creatures of habit. They refuse to look at the Hyundais or Subarus who are both making very good cars.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Tells me they are creatures of habit. They refuse to look at the Hyundais or Subarus who are both making very good cars.

Think you'll find that the service places are very thin on the ground for Hyundai or Subaru. Don't have any where I live have Toyo Honda Tata Mitsu Nissan Ford and every other make you can think of but not one of the two you mentioned

As you stated Thais are creatures of habit that's maybe why Toyo and Isuzu are the best buys resale wise. Have you seen the price of Subaru spares???

Edited by fredob43

6 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Think you'll find that the service places are very thin on the ground for Hyundai or Subaru. Don't have any where I live have Toyo Honda Tata Mitsu Nissan and every other make you can think of but not one of the two you mentioned

As you stated Thais are creatures of habit that's maybe why Toyo and Isuzu are the best buys resale wise. Have you seen the price of Subaru spares???

The service centres are probably thin because they just don't sell well. Hyundai and Kia as well as Subaru are big sellers just about everywhere else in the world. Also, some of those brands are offering a 10 year warranty on the drive train,try getting that with any model in Thailand.

Edited by giddyup

Don't know if you are into it, but the popular brands have a lot more accessories available. Box covers, bumpers, and all the plastic bits that 'Look Good' to some eyes.

And as said - you can get parts in Nakhon Nowhere easily.

For service, I use Expat Auto - near Central on Superhiway. Can source parts for anything. Not the cheapest but quality work, English native speakers on staff. Got a complete new rad, water pump, and all the hoses done last year. Years of straight water - now pay the price. Running Toyota coolant now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The OP was asking for good resale and service. I bet he doesn't have to many Kia/Subaru and the likes garages in C.Mai. BKK yes but C/Mai no. What's the good of buying something that has a 10 guarantee if you cant get it serviced. Besides that have you seen the price of Kia/Subaru they are not made here, so will have a large tax loading. And with less bit's for you monies.

I was responding to you re Thais being creatures of habit because they favour Isuzus and Toyotas, and I doubt very much if you would get a 10 year warranty on anything in Thailand. The same as they cost cut a lot of required safety features like airbags etc. that are available on the export models. To answer the OP's enquiry, to meet all his requirements, either Toyota or Isuzu.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I was responding to you re Thais being creatures of habit because they favour Isuzus and Toyotas, and I doubt very much if you would get a 10 year warranty on anything in Thailand. The same as they cost cut a lot of required safety features like airbags etc. that are available on the export models.

I didn't first say that Thais were creatures of habit you did. I just responded to same, suggesting why you should buy them.

I think you'll find that most of the new models coming out of Toyo Isuzu and Nissan now have many air bags and the likes.

My New Spivo has 9 of the thing's how many do you want. Mind you it's doesn't have an ashtray, handy for tooth picks. 

Must admit. Some basic models are a bit thin on the ground Airbag/goody wise for their cheap models, some still have wind up windows, but as stated they are Cheap and for farm use. Once you get into the 4x4 range the new ones have all that's required.

12 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I didn't first say that Thais were creatures of habit you did. I just responded to same, suggesting why you should buy them.

I think you'll find that most of the new models coming out of Toyo Isuzu and Nissan now have many air bags and the likes.

My New Spivo has 9 of the thing's how many do you want. Mind you it's doesn't have an ashtray, handy for tooth picks. 

Must admit. Some basic models are a bit thin on the ground Airbag/goody wise for their cheap models, some still have wind up windows, but as stated they are Cheap and for farm use. Once you get into the 4x4 range the new ones have all that's required.

I bought top of the range Triton 3 years ago, only has drivers side airbag, it wouldn't be allowed to be sold in many countries like that. Needless to say the export model had two. Side curtain airbags are only starting to be introduced, something that is standard on many export cars. What I want is for the Thai models to have the same features as the export models. They don't even include the vents for the windscreen on many models because there is no heater ducting.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I bought top of the range Triton 3 years ago, only has drivers side airbag, it wouldn't be allowed to be sold in many countries like that. Needless to say the export model had two. Side curtain airbags are only starting to be introduced, something that is standard on many export cars. What I want is for the Thai models to have the same features as the export models. They don't even include the vents for the windscreen on many models because there is no heater ducting.

...except for heated seats of export models. Actually, the new subaru xv has 6 or 7 airbags now...it's one of the few full time 4wd small suv's/crossovers and undercuts cr-v and mazda cx-5 by a large margin. Pity about the engine that still lacks punch....spare parts/servicing could be higher also than their competitors. 

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I was responding to you re Thais being creatures of habit because they favour Isuzus and Toyotas, and I doubt very much if you would get a 10 year warranty on anything in Thailand. The same as they cost cut a lot of required safety features like airbags etc. that are available on the export models. To answer the OP's enquiry, to meet all his requirements, either Toyota or Isuzu.

I have Toyota and would not consider anything else except Isuzu.  Call me a creator of habit too

A habit of buying vehicles that don't go wrong so I don't know how much they cost to fix.  And are easy to sell.  Anything not made in Thailand is waiting to cost you sometime.

• Like 2

If I was looking for a new one, I'd be concerned about built for safety in today's environment here. They're all pretty reliable but when in an accident they fold up & come apart like a toy.

Other than that, my Isuzu 4x4 will stay in the fleet for a while yet. Only complaints is the driver seats getting a little soft & cabs a bit tight. JMO

36 minutes ago, r136dg said:

If I was looking for a new one, I'd be concerned about built for safety in today's environment here. They're all pretty reliable but when in an accident they fold up & come apart like a toy.

Other than that, my Isuzu 4x4 will stay in the fleet for a while yet. Only complaints is the driver seats getting a little soft & cabs a bit tight. JMO

All pickup 4x4''s that I can think of have a full chassis so they hold together better than some monocoque SUV''s.   Also in Thailand most pickup makers also build a "shiney" SUV on the same chassis.  E.G. Toyota Fortuner etc so same probably applies.

1 minute ago, Humpy said:

Get an Isuzu...... they make lorries...... but make sure you get the 300 page drivers handbook in English !!

I like my wife's new Isuzu pick-up and enjoy driving it.

What the ell would you want a English book for it's just the same as a car just do the service intervals.

If your want to know how put the key in the ignition and other things to go that's sad.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I like my wife's new Isuzu pick-up and enjoy driving it.

What the ell would you want a English book for it's just the same as a car just do the service intervals.

If your want to know how put the key in the ignition and other things to go that's sad.

The array of gizzmos , switches , dashcam behind the mirror, GPS , entertainment thingy, fold down TV screen, the various 220 V power points....there is no ignition key on my all singing sand dancing 'Exclusive' SUV .. 60th Isuzu Anniversary edition  !!   It must be great to know everything about all cars . !

I looked into this the last time I was in thailand with many relatives had all makes of trucks and found the most comfortable was the Toyota also it has a good reputation in reliability the prices look good from new too, my second choice would be a Nissan as like the styling, I would also look at having bull bars fitted as Thai's are loonies behind the wheel and replacing bent bull bars would be cheaper than bent body work

1 hour ago, Humpy said:

The array of gizzmos , switches , dashcam behind the mirror, GPS , entertainment thingy, fold down TV screen, the various 220 V power points....there is no ignition key on my all singing sand dancing 'Exclusive' SUV .. 60th Isuzu Anniversary edition  !!   It must be great to know everything about all cars . !

How droll so you're a Hiso truck owner we bought ours for work we have car to do the comfort car thingy. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

How droll so you're a Hiso truck owner we bought ours for work we have car to do the comfort car thingy. :laugh:

....no doubt with tinted windows and ecclesiastical garbage hanging from the rear view mirror !!!  I don't have to work so I can enjoy the comfort of my very quiet. leather seated ,powerful automatic , pearl white, un-tinted, SUV with its powered 'tailgate'..... I'm sure you would like one......after you with the saucer of milk. By the way I still have my 18 year old Nissan which has been regularly serviced and still going well  after 300,000 km ...... more milk Sir ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Humpy said:

Get an Isuzu 3 litre 4x4...... they make lorries...... but make sure you get the 300 page drivers handbook in English !!

Agree on this, Have also one, 6 years old and 160K km. Never any problem.

ProAuto does the maintenance, couple of days ago oil and filter change, 2600 baht. 
Beats the official Isuzu garage and are very clear. Also speak very well English. Communication is always a problem with the official Isuzu dealers. And yes, I do live in CM

It certainly does!

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

All pickup 4x4''s that I can think of have a full chassis so they hold together better than some monocoque SUV''s.   Also in Thailand most pickup makers also build a "shiney" SUV on the same chassis.  E.G. Toyota Fortuner etc so same probably applies.
A monocoque chassis is miles safer than an old fashioned rail chassis.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

• Like 1