ACL tear Grade 3: Surgery in Pattaya or Bangkok?

soistalker

Hi gang,

I tore my ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) in my knee. It is a Grade 3 tear requiring reconstructive surgery. (I also have a meniscus tear and a Baker's cyst).

I live in Jomtien. I usually go to Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok for any real problems.

As to the surgery, what would be recommendations for a top-notch orthopaedic surgery department in either Bangkok or Pattaya? Should I have the surgery in Bangkok, then go somewhere in Pattaya for the rehab? Are there options for a really top-level orthopaedic surgery department in a Pattaya hospital?

As they'll need to take a healthy ligament from the front of my knee, drill a whole in the femur and the tibia, and anchor the harvested ligament to both sides, I wouldn't mind paying for the best surgeon to do this. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really in need of the advice.

i had this done in bkk already, bumrangrad was to expensive, and the doctor worked there also worked at another hospital, so i went there. dont want to mention the other hospital but it was like 100,000 baht cheaper. for the same doctor. but different hospital. go figure, and we are falang and have falang price. which is bull s***!!!!!! period

so if you find a doctor ask him where else does he work. good luck

I'v had 3 separate health scares that I thought were serious in my time here. On all 3 occasion they actually weren't and were diagnosed correctly after I went to Bangkok Christian Hospital. They just required some meds and rest, no surgery or drastic procedures were even mentioned.

A grade 3 tear is easily seen in a MRI as long as they are actually showing you your MRI which I would not put it past some hospitals here that it actually isn't you knee. I have heard so many 1st hand stories about unnecessary or botched surgeries in Pattaya that I can't take the chance in trusting any of them.

There probably are a few competent orthopedic surgeons here but unless you knew someone on the inside you will never know if they are good or not, or if they are being told what to do by the business interests of the hospital.

1 hour ago, marinediscoking said:

I'v had 3 separate health scares that I thought were serious in my time here. On all 3 occasion they actually weren't and were diagnosed correctly after I went to Bangkok Christian Hospital. They just required some meds and rest, no surgery or drastic procedures were even mentioned.

A grade 3 tear is easily seen in a MRI as long as they are actually showing you your MRI which I would not put it past some hospitals here that it actually isn't you knee. I have heard so many 1st hand stories about unnecessary or botched surgeries in Pattaya that I can't take the chance in trusting any of them.

There probably are a few competent orthopedic surgeons here but unless you knew someone on the inside you will never know if they are good or not, or if they are being told what to do by the business interests of the hospital.

A bit too paranoid but when considering a major op one should always get 2nd and 3rd opinions anyway. You tell the consultants that they're merely consultants so there's no conflict of interest. You get backup tests to confirm the original.

I'd assume most people would already know this. It's what you'd do in your own country innit?