Thailand to declare war on plastic bags - by charging for them

rooster59

This is a Mom & Pop shop down the road from me. It recently underwent a winter cleaning and is still fairly clean. Only in the last year have I convinced the owner, that a plastic bag is not necessary for a M-150 and a pack of smokes. She was asked why not save money and not give out tons of plastic bags. It is ok, they are cheap was her reasoning...

bags.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Glad to see the hair brained gov't actually say something that isn't straight off a Monty Python skit for once!

Start charging 20 baht each for straws at 7/11 too!

Read again, grasshopper. (Hint: This is not a government announcement)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Read again, grasshopper. (Hint: This is not a government announcement)

So solly Masta Po. I just skimmed the article and was going by the headline.

"Thailand to declare war on plastic bags - by charging for them"

I should have known it made too much sense for it to be something the gov't would come up with. Silly me...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Silurian said:

When I tried to bring my own bags into Macro they would not let me bring them into the store. Macro is very strict on what you can bring into the store. This defeats the purpose of bringing your own bags. I just leave the bags in my vehicle and then transfer them from the store cart into the bags in the parking lot.

So those bloody miserable "security" jobsworths are not confined to Big C and Tesco Lotus then. What's the betting on the likelihood that, if you only used a hand-held basket to place your purchases in as you wandered round the store, they would be equally happy about you using this to carry them to your car after payment? A classic case of TIT IMHO!

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, r136dg said:

Agree with most everything said.

They could also make it worthwhile for recyclers to pick up. 

Always get a funny look when I say mai ow tung:shock1:

Yeah they look at me like I have carrots growing out of my ears when I turn down a straw to go with my beer also.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Let them charge a small amount for plastic bags, but at the same time Thailand need to get a proper recycling system in place.  Garbage Recycling plants is long overdue in Thailand, while they are investing in submarines and high-speed trains.

It is just a myth, that cotton / canvas bags are better for the environment than plastic bags.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/to-tote-or-note-to-tote/498557/

http://www.businessinsider.com/reusable-tote-bags-are-worse-than-plastic-2016-11

They have garbage recycling plants here. I even toured a rather impressive one in Mae Sot in October. Most of the plastic/ garbage is turned into small blocks for fuel. 

IMG_5788.JPG

• Thanks 1

Not really.  Charging for plastic bags is simply another government revenue generation scheme.  Like shaking down helmetless motorcycle riders, it will create a nice revenue stream, but will accomplish nothing.

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1