Video: Seconds from disaster - motorcyclist in lucky escape as drunk driver causes destruction

webfact

Video: Seconds from disaster - motorcyclist in lucky escape as drunk driver causes destruction

5pm1.jpg

video screenhot

CCTV footage from Suphanburi in the early hours of Sunday morning showed a pick-up slam into a parked vehicle and two bikes.

Just seconds earlier a man on a motorcycle drove off. He could well have been killed.

The accident happened outside a popular "Khao Tom" restaurant on the Meun Han Road in the central Thai town about 1am.

Suphanburi police investigator Kalasin Pakwiset said that the Isuzu that caused the trouble had left a pub 200 meters away and was being driven by Jankasem, 34 who was drunk.

His blood alcohol was 146 milligrams - well over the legal limit.

His vehicle overturned after he lost control but both the driver and two passengers - one female and one male - were only slightly injured.

The driver has been charged with drunk driving as well as negligent driving causing damage and will appear in court.

Sanook reported that many people out late in that area of Suphan gathered at the scene of the accident.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-18

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

The driver has been charged with drunk driving as well as negligent driving causing damage and will appear in court.

As the Thai authorities are promising to  start enforcing laws that have been in place for years, riding a  motorcycle with no helmet, sitting in the bed of a pick up, etc., how about giving this bloke the absolute maximum sentence possible, and publicising it nationally, as an example to others ?

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

how about giving this bloke the absolute maximum sentence possible, and publicising it nationally, as an example to others ?

Police could not care less about making examples, they want to make MONEY on each and every incident. The justice system here is a business and every interaction with it costs money. Someone in the chain (police, prosecutor, judge, jail warden,...) or maybe all of them will sell the drunk driver a lesser penalty if he is willing and able to pay. Therefore the police need to extract cash from the perpetrator before he reaches the others in the chain.

lucky people

as for the 'crack down' on motorcyclists wearing helmets, not sure if it has come into force yet but going by the motorcyclists in central bangkok (not a difficult place to police) there is no change with around 40% - 50% (depending on whether schools are out) not wearing helmets.

i remain to be convinced that anyone in thailand remotely cares about road safety.

This is an unusual drunk driving video.  I've seen a lot of them.   In this one the driver appears to be driving straight and then suddenly veers off to his right and slams against the parked truck.    Usually drunk drivers weave a lot.    This almost appears intentional to me.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Suphanburi police investigator Kalasin Pakwiset said that the Isuzu that caused the trouble had left a pub 200 meters away and was being driven by Jankasem, 34 who was drunk.

The Isuzu caused the trouble after it had left the pub. The driver was drunk, but it was the Isuzu's fault.

A spokesman for Isuzu Motors Ltd. apologized and said they are investigating why the pick-up left the pub. A committee has been set up.

17 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

This is an unusual drunk driving video.  I've seen a lot of them.   In this one the driver appears to be driving straight and then suddenly veers off to his right and slams against the parked truck.    Usually drunk drivers weave a lot.    This almost appears intentional to me.

Watch it again, he's fishtailing right from when he enters the screen/frame.  There's not just one movement to the right.  That final swerve to the right is proceeded by at least 2 other swerves and before that we can't see what happens as the vehicle isn't in the frame.

14 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

These Thailand road disaster video's are nearly getting as good as the Russian road disaster videos. I expect Thailand will catch up soon.

No one can surpass the Russian ones for me.     I'm happy so many people in Russia get the  dash cams to save on insurance premiums so there's an abundance of great videos. 

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

The Isuzu caused the trouble after it had left the pub. The driver was drunk, but it was the Isuzu's fault.

A spokesman for Isuzu Motors Ltd. apologized and said they are investigating why the pick-up left the pub. A committee has been set up.

It looks like black ice might be a defence tactic.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

In my opinion, his vehicle appears to respond as if he pressed the accelerator to the floor; the tires began to spin and he couldn't compensate correctly in his drunk state.

26 minutes ago, chaihot said:

In my opinion, his vehicle appears to respond as if he pressed the accelerator to the floor; the tires began to spin and he couldn't compensate correctly in his drunk state.

That's what the video shows.  The fishtailing is immediately preceded by a blast of black exhaust smoke showing aggressive use of the throttle on a, more than likely, modified pickup.

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Yep , just a few days ago it was a bus that lost control.  Stupid bus should learn to control itself.