For the Phuket knockers

keithpa

On 1/1/2018 at 1:40 PM, beechbum said:

There's always lots of Chinese at the big gold/diamond stores, also at the new large King power stores, you'd have to go beyond Patong to realise it though.

That's part of the package they sign up for, the obligatory gem / jewellery shop stops, in which the company / tour guide gets a commission for bringing them there.

Doesn't mean they buy anything though, does it????

You would "realize this" if you actually went into one and observed one day.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, madmax2 said:

The main groups of tourists booking passenger  vans at present for tours, restaurants and visiting tourist attractions are independent travellers from Korea, Thailand, Japan, Australia, China, Russia and the occasional Kiwi, the best tippers are the Aussies and Kiwis

They regularly book a van as a group of couples or independent travellers who have met in their hotel for a full day tour which includes having a meal at a independent restaurant, they spend freely  but not in the bars or on bar ladies and are not penny pinchers who want the cheapest prices for everything like the single male tourists are usually who post on this forum and are not from the listed countries 95% of the time and like to speculate about about whats happening with the tourist business 

Business has picked up a lot since the week before Xmas and should be good to the end of March the same as last year  

"and like to speculate about about whats happening with the tourist business" - "and should be good to the end of March the same as last year."

'Should be good to the end of March" sounds a lot like speculation to me.  Ohhhh, the irony.  :cheesy::cheesy: 

9 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

That's part of the package they sign up for, the obligatory gem / jewellery shop stops, in which the company / tour guide gets a commission for bringing them there.

Doesn't mean they buy anything though, does it????

You would "realize this" if you actually went into one and observed one day.

No they're not all from tour buses, I've been in them plenty of times, your sour because your fantasies re Phuket aren't all coming true, stick to enthralling those you buy drinks for that pretend to listen.

On ‎02‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 12:20 AM, beechbum said:

There spending money at a lot of small places in Phuket town, was in there during the evening tonight and groups everywhere, eating in the small shops and shopping. 

...and they are very popular for other customers at the check out and for the cashier when they start to count....:biggrin:

11 hours ago, beechbum said:

No they're not all from tour buses, I've been in them plenty of times, your sour because your fantasies re Phuket aren't all coming true, stick to enthralling those you buy drinks for that pretend to listen.

No "fantasies" here.

As stated before, I'm on Phuket for the sun, see, sand, seafood, and snatch, and Phuket has plenty of these in abundance, and I make good use of everything Phuket offers. 

I'm not here to adopt a Thai family from Issan, or to be scammed by a Thai prostitute.  

I've never lost money here to a hooker, on property, or a business.  I've never sent money for a "sick buffalo."  I make Phuket work for me, not the other way around. 

Don't confuse being critical of Phuket as being "sour."  Phuket has a lot of "issues" that are really now coming to the surface.  The rapid change we have all seen in the last 2 years has not all been for the better. 

I know it's difficult for you to admit to negative change here when you have "skin in the game."  Here's a tip for you, beechbum, criticizing those who don't have skin in the game doesn't change your exposure to loss here.  :biggrin:

As far as buying drinks for those who pretend to listen, I'm not paying them to listen to me.   :thumbsup:

You show clear signs of narcissism NKM.
That explains your nomadic existence on Phuket. You reside here but are truly negative about your enviroment. I couldn't live that way and i feel sorry for you.
Nothing worse than growing old alone with that kind of attitude.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, sebastion said:

That explains your nomadic existence on Phuket. You reside here but are truly negative about your enviroment. I couldn't live that way and i feel sorry for you.

Best of luck.

Hardly narcissism, Seb.  I well and truly know that, as a farang, I have no rights here, and are viewed lower than a Soi dog, and no, I do not suffer from esteem issues. 

Don't confuse being alone with being lonely.  I am neither. 

I am happy here, but the place has its problems, and in my opinion, most are getting worse, not improving.

Most members on here have complained about the traffic, as I have, does that make them negative about their environment?

Many members on here have complained about the water quality of the beach, as I have, does that make them negative about their environment?

Many members on here have complained about Phuket becoming a concrete jungle, as I have, does that make them negative about their environment?

These are just a few examples, if you disagree with these examples, I'm happy to hear your reasons. 

If, however, you agree, you really shouldn't be negative about your environment.  :cheesy:

52 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Jeez NKM ... you sound like a bitter old man with no rudder.  Many of us here with 'skin in the game' are very happy ... unlike you.

Firstly, I'm under 50 years of age, so hardly "old" compared to most retirees here.  "Bitter" - no way.  Nothing to be bitter about.  I'm very happy here.

How many with "skin in the game" here have long gone, many broke, some disenchanted, and wish they never put skin in the game????  Many would still be here, enjoying their retirement, instead of going back home onto benefits, or living in Issan eating rice everyday. 

How many with skin in the game here are currently going broke, as we speak????

Do you deny seeing all the for sale signs and closed commercial premises, or the endless turn over of failed big ideas?

Having no skin in the game suits me fine, and I'm still here enjoying all Phuket has to offer, and still will be, long after many of those that put skin in the game have left. 

Phuket has changed since the 80's, LIK. 

You have admitted you wouldn't put skin in the game now, so what do you think of those that are????

I remember a couple of years ago members that posted they are killing the golden goose etc etc, got ridiculed.  Where are those who ridiculed now????

Phuket's gone from a majority western market to a majority Chinese market in 2 short years.  In my opinion, that big change hasn't brought about positive change here.

Why are some members reluctant to discuss Phuket's issues????  Could it be because they have skin in the game and they live in denial?  :biggrin:

Do you like the traffic here, LIK?  Why should a member who says it's terrible, and getting worse, be criticized and personally attacked, and called a Thai basher, or told "don't let the door hit you on the way out" etc etc, when the truth is, traffic has grown exponentially on Phuket in the last 2 years, and is now taking on the characteristics of city living???

Edited by NamKangMan

3 hours ago, sebastion said:

Best of luck.

You see negativity and I see pragmatism and real politik at work. Perhaps harsh and rough for some, but I get it. I avoided Patong some time ago. It had become unbearable despite my being treated much better than the typical foreigner. It had become too dependent upon the tourism trade  and lacked the necessary investments to support that tourism trade. There was something very wrong about  chronic power disruptions and water shortages. The place edges closer to a typhoid or cholera epidemic if it doesn't address the sewage and  garbage crisis.

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You see negativity and I see pragmatism

That's the way I see things here too...........I don't want to be "attacked" as being negative and have comments like "go home" posted (not that I have yet), when I post what I see and know/have been told by business owners and managers here.

I was lucky because I did buy two properties and sold them for a profit, and so glad that I did because now I could buy them back at a big discount if I wanted too, but will not as too many on the market and unsold for years.

Others here who bought years ago have done well and good on them for doing so, however IMO things have changed now making this a more difficult proposition.

As I have said before, I like Patong for many reasons, but that doesn't mean that my eyes are closed to all that is going on, so I take the good with the bad and provided I can live my life like I want to, then all is well for me.

Now Sebastion, I don't want to knock you, bit don't you think it is a little bit rich accusing NKM of being "narcisstic" when you have boasted on here that you are earning millions of baht in just a few months. Maybe not exactly the same but.............?

That's the way I see things here too...........I don't want to be "attacked" as being negative and have comments like "go home" posted (not that I have yet), when I post what I see and know/have been told by business owners and managers here.

I was lucky because I did buy two properties and sold them for a profit, and so glad that I did because now I could buy them back at a big discount if I wanted too, but will not as too many on the market and unsold for years.

Others here who bought years ago have done well and good on them for doing so, however IMO things have changed now making this a more difficult proposition.

As I have said before, I like Patong for many reasons, but that doesn't mean that my eyes are closed to all that is going on, so I take the good with the bad and provided I can live my life like I want to, then all is well for me.

Now Sebastion, I don't want to knock you, bit don't you think it is a little bit rich accusing NKM of being "narcisstic" when you have boasted on here that you are earning millions of baht in just a few months. Maybe not exactly the same but.............?

That was in response to people saying the property market is dead. It isnt. Its just changed.

People have these negative sterotypes of chinese but its very wrong.

They spend money on property here. They are the biggest buyers right now.

I sold 5 studio apartments to a guy from China in under 10 mins of meeting him. Made 500k commission before lunch.

Thats why i quit my job and went to real estate. I went where the money is.

I used to refer our guests to another agent and when i saw what he made from my referrals i followed. Now i have my replacement at referring guests to me if they are looking at property.

Its not bragging. Its smart.

Phuket is far from dead. Its just getting started.

People used to complain about the tour buses of Russians but that was short sighted.

All emerging markets start that way. They come on tours and thrn return again on their own.

Chinese will do the same. Give it 5 years and youll see a more independant Chinese traveller.

Then the market will boom.

Everything NKM is saying about property is wrong.

3 hours ago, sebastion said:

That was in response to people saying the property market is dead

I don't think they were referring to the folks desperate to get their money out of China or who will believe the 30+30+30 year lease rubbish, along with illegal ways of buying properties and land, often touted by the sellers.......or for that matter a buy-back clause after 15 yrs. 

Outside of that specific market there are problems moving properties......a friends 2 yr old penthouse bought for 18 m baht, sold for 11m; house bought for 5.25 m baht sold for 4 m; 62 sq m 1 bed apt bought for 2.6 m baht sold for 1.55m........and so on.

You may be making good money on a specific area of the market (and hopefully the promises made are not misleading) however my view is that outside of that, the property market is struggling.

One minute, you all complaining about the bloody tourists, next, your complaining there's not enough of them. Bloody wingers, ( if im not allowed to say bloody on here, apologizes to the mods). If you hate  the place so much, Move to Pattaya, Im moving to Phuket after many yearw here.

14 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Firstly, I'm under 50 years of age, so hardly "old" compared to most retirees here.  "Bitter" - no way.  Nothing to be bitter about.  I'm very happy here.

How many with "skin in the game" here have long gone, many broke, some disenchanted, and wish they never put skin in the game????  Many would still be here, enjoying their retirement, instead of going back home onto benefits, or living in Issan eating rice everyday. 

How many with skin in the game here are currently going broke, as we speak????

Do you deny seeing all the for sale signs and closed commercial premises, or the endless turn over of failed big ideas?

Having no skin in the game suits me fine, and I'm still here enjoying all Phuket has to offer, and still will be, long after many of those that put skin in the game have left. 

Phuket has changed since the 80's, LIK. 

You have admitted you wouldn't put skin in the game now, so what do you think of those that are????

I remember a couple of years ago members that posted they are killing the golden goose etc etc, got ridiculed.  Where are those who ridiculed now????

Phuket's gone from a majority western market to a majority Chinese market in 2 short years.  In my opinion, that big change hasn't brought about positive change here.

Why are some members reluctant to discuss Phuket's issues????  Could it be because they have skin in the game and they live in denial?  :biggrin:

Do you like the traffic here, LIK?  Why should a member who says it's terrible, and getting worse, be criticized and personally attacked, and called a Thai basher, or told "don't let the door hit you on the way out" etc etc, when the truth is, traffic has grown exponentially on Phuket in the last 2 years, and is now taking on the characteristics of city living???

A Australian receiving the aged pension would have a reasonable standard of living in Patong if he only rented a room and rode a motorbike, much better than he would have with the same money in Australia that's for sure, i expect it would be the same for a Englishman at present 

9 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

A Australian receiving the aged pension would have a reasonable standard of living in Patong if he only rented a room and rode a motorbike, much better than he would have with the same money in Australia that's for sure, i expect it would be the same for a Englishman at present 

I don't understand "skin", (meaning of).

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

I don't think they were referring to the folks desperate to get their money out of China or who will believe the 30+30+30 year lease rubbish, along with illegal ways of buying properties and land, often touted by the sellers.......or for that matter a buy-back clause after 15 yrs. 

Outside of that specific market there are problems moving properties......a friends 2 yr old penthouse bought for 18 m baht, sold for 11m; house bought for 5.25 m baht sold for 4 m; 62 sq m 1 bed apt bought for 2.6 m baht sold for 1.55m........and so on.

You may be making good money on a specific area of the market (and hopefully the promises made are not misleading) however my view is that outside of that, the property market is struggling.

Quite correct, xylophone. Aside from the 30+30+30, "guaranteed return" and "guaranteed buyback" scams, it's been a Buyer's market in Phuket for quite a few years. Most re-sale properties I'm aware of are being sold at a loss. From an Agent's point of view, the market is healthy in either a strong Buyer's market or a strong Seller's market, as he makes his money either way. Not so much for Sellers these days, though. 

I've mentioned before about my ex-wife's small hotel at the airport. She has a good little business, with many customers each day.

But looking into the booking 'stats' over the last 3 or 4 years tells a different story. Although the occupancy rate remains steady (at a high % throughout the year), the average annual profit has decreased by about 10% each year.

The reason is clear from the stats - the average room rate that the guest pays has decreased by 10% for the same month in each year, partly due to the increase in competition from new hotels in the same locality, and party because the type of tourist that visits Phuket nowadays (mainland Chinese) is not prepared to pay the level of room rate that a guest from the 'West' is happy to pay.

I told my ex that based on these stats, SHE would be paying guests to stay at her hotel in about 10 years from now :)

The reason is clear from the stats - the average room rate that the guest pays has decreased by 10% for the same month in each year, partly due to the increase in competition from new hotels in the same locality, and party because the type of tourist that visits Phuket nowadays (mainland Chinese) is not prepared to pay the level of room rate that a guest from the 'West' is happy to pay.

......which in turn generally affects the standard of the place nowadays.....:closedeyes:

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I've mentioned before about my ex-wife's small hotel at the airport. She has a good little business, with many customers each day.

But looking into the booking 'stats' over the last 3 or 4 years tells a different story. Although the occupancy rate remains steady (at a high % throughout the year), the average annual profit has decreased by about 10% each year.

I told my ex that based on these stats, SHE would be paying guests to stay at her hotel in about 10 years from now :)

Excellent analysis. I suspect that applies to many small businesses.  Although a year on year decrease in room rate of 10% does not compute.

From our point of view rates have remained static for over 10 years but our costs increase. I don't know how folks who rent their business property can survive.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:41 PM, madmax2 said:

I would tend to agree, MM2, however, the UK and Australia have good infrastructure. 

Whilst I NEVER expected Phuket to have similar infrastructure to my home country, as one of Thailand's wealthiest provinces, to see the decaying infrastructure here, surely is not a great advertisement for the next generation of retirees, regardless of the purchasing power of the GBP, AUD, Euro, USD etc..

Basically, Phuket can be affordable for many retirees, from all around the world, but if the roads, electric, water, internet, medical, policing, flood mitigation etc etc etc here are all 3rd World, for whatever reasons, who would want to retiree here, no matter how affordable the place is????

I mean, for the most expensive place in South East Asia, Singapore aside, you would expect some maintenance and upgrades to infrastructure and public amenities.  

Edited by NamKangMan

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

Basically, Phuket can be affordable for many retirees, from all around the world, but if the roads, electric, water, internet, medical, policing, flood mitigation etc etc etc here are all 3rd World, for whatever reasons, who would want to retiree here, no matter how affordable the place is????

I agree with your comments about the infrastructure and most of the other "third world country" shortcomings of this place, however many of them are easily liveable with because the problems they cause are, generally, intermittent.

For many retirees here, there are other drawcards apart from the affordability (and for the record I find this place very cheap in which to live) and they would be that the climate helps us older folks as we age, friends are made of both farangs and Thais, with even some romantic attachments; there are plenty of restaurants and eating places, ranging from the basic to the top-notch; there is nightlife if one wishes to seek it out and a beer can be had for NZ$2.50, which won't break the bank; great shopping and the ability to be able to get round easily on a motor scooter (provided one makes provisions for the other dangerous drivers) and of course the vibrancy of the place, which makes one feel alive.

As for the most expensive place around here, well by comparison to places like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar etc, perhaps it is, however it is certainly a place where a retirees dollar/pound/euro goes a lot further, meaning not having to worry about whether a pension or savings will last ones lifetime, and that can bring peace of mind......in my book, a major consideration.

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I agree with your comments about the infrastructure and most of the other "third world country" shortcomings of this place, however many of them are easily liveable with because the problems they cause are, generally, intermittent.

For many retirees here, there are other drawcards apart from the affordability (and for the record I find this place very cheap in which to live) and they would be that the climate helps us older folks as we age, friends are made of both farangs and Thais, with even some romantic attachments; there are plenty of restaurants and eating places, ranging from the basic to the top-notch; there is nightlife if one wishes to seek it out and a beer can be had for NZ$2.50, which won't break the bank; great shopping and the ability to be able to get round easily on a motor scooter (provided one makes provisions for the other dangerous drivers) and of course the vibrancy of the place, which makes one feel alive.

As for the most expensive place around here, well by comparison to places like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar etc, perhaps it is, however it is certainly a place where a retirees dollar/pound/euro goes a lot further, meaning not having to worry about whether a pension or savings will last ones lifetime, and that can bring peace of mind......in my book, a major consideration.

No argument form me, XP.  Phuket has something for everyone, and in general, is more affordable than many countries.  I holidayed here many times, before choosing to live here full time. 

That said, I have seen many changes in the last two years, yet, the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Eg. same old scams, collusion, extortion, transport mafia etc etc.

I'm just wondering how much lack of investment in critical infrastructure, or progressive thinking, the authorities will allow, of course whilst lining their own pockets, before we start to see a real negative effect on lifestyle here. 

I think it's fair to say we have already sen a rapid change in the tourist demographic, so how long before we see a change in the expat demographic? 

Edited by NamKangMan

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

In general, road conditions here are good (I'm talking about the actual road, not the volume of traffic using them) and I constantly see upgrades happening all over the island.   The electricity supply where I live is consistent, with any power cuts being both rare and brief.   Water supply is consistent, albeit ours is from a private source, with average metered costs being between 3-500 baht/month depending on garden watering demands.   Internet standards are also high and much less expensive than certainly the UK.   4G mobile coverage is virtually everywhere you go, which again compares favourably with the UK where for example in my late Mother's village in East Devon you still can't get a mobile phone signal let along 4G.

Medical facilities, certainly in the private sector, are of a very high standard (I've just spent a considerable amount of time with a visiting friend in the Bangkok Hospital's of both Hat Yai and Phuket and have witnessed first hand the care and professionalism of the staff and the excellence of the facilities).

Policing, accepted is neither what most of us are used to or desire.   However, this places the onus on the individual to act responsibly and safely here rather than have restrictions enforced on us in what can be heavy handed and petty circumstances.   To get into conflict with the locals and/or police here you have to be in the wrong place/wrong time or doing something reckless (I'm talking as an Expat, not a Tourist).

Rainfall here this past couple of years has on occasion been both exceptionally high and out with the 'normal' season trends.   That said, in the residential areas (Chalong for example) significant additional draining has been installed on both main and secondary roads to alleviate the 'lakes' that appeared during heavy rainfall.

Incidentally NKM, where do you plan to retire to?

17 minutes ago, pagallim said:

In general, road conditions here are good (I'm talking about the actual road, not the volume of traffic using them) and I constantly see upgrades happening all over the island.   The electricity supply where I live is consistent, with any power cuts being both rare and brief.   Water supply is consistent, albeit ours is from a private source, with average metered costs being between 3-500 baht/month depending on garden watering demands.   Internet standards are also high and much less expensive than certainly the UK.   4G mobile coverage is virtually everywhere you go, which again compares favourably with the UK where for example in my late Mother's village in East Devon you still can't get a mobile phone signal let along 4G.

Medical facilities, certainly in the private sector, are of a very high standard (I've just spent a considerable amount of time with a visiting friend in the Bangkok Hospital's of both Hat Yai and Phuket and have witnessed first hand the care and professionalism of the staff and the excellence of the facilities).

Policing, accepted is neither what most of us are used to or desire.   However, this places the onus on the individual to act responsibly and safely here rather than have restrictions enforced on us in what can be heavy handed and petty circumstances.   To get into conflict with the locals and/or police here you have to be in the wrong place/wrong time or doing something reckless (I'm talking as an Expat, not a Tourist).

Rainfall here this past couple of years has on occasion been both exceptionally high and out with the 'normal' season trends.   That said, in the residential areas (Chalong for example) significant additional draining has been installed on both main and secondary roads to alleviate the 'lakes' that appeared during heavy rainfall.

Incidentally NKM, where do you plan to retire to?

I'm living here.  Always loved the place on holidays.  Moved here full time a couple of years ago. 

It seems I arrived full time on the cusp of the start of the big change in tourist demographic.

I'll be honest and say the rapid change in the last two years has surprised me.  Makes me think of what will become of Phuket in the next two years, and beyond.

Can Phuket's base level infrastructure cope with the lower profit per individual tourist, but massive increase in tourists numbers, mainly Chinese, to keep the same profit levels, or at least try to, business model?  Then throw in the Indians and Russians. 

That's a lot more pressure on the basic infrastructure here.  Eg.  a lot more sh*t getting pumped into the ocean. 

How long before such tourism has a negative effect on the day to day living here of full time expat retirees, and locals?

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

I'm living here.  Always loved the place on holidays.  Moved here full time a couple of years ago. 

It seems I arrived full time on the cusp of the start of the big change in tourist demographic.

I'll be honest and say the rapid change in the last two years has surprised me.  Makes me think of what will become of Phuket in the next two years, and beyond.

Can Phuket's base level infrastructure cope with the lower profit per individual tourist, but massive increase in tourists numbers, mainly Chinese, to keep the same profit levels, or at least try to, business model?  Then throw in the Indians and Russians. 

That's a lot more pressure on the basic infrastructure here.  Eg.  a lot more sh*t getting pumped into the ocean. 

How long before such tourism has a negative effect on the day to day living here of full time expat retirees, and locals?

Do not be so modest and reluctant with the words NKM. No one living here full time can deny that "such tourism" directly or indirectly have in one or another way negative effect on their day today living.

44 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Do not be so modest and reluctant with the words NKM. No one living here full time can deny that "such tourism" directly or indirectly have in one or another way negative effect on their day today living.

So, why are so many so reluctant to discuss it????

You can knock phuket all you want.. My new 4br house costs the price of a trailer back home, the village is elevated against flooding, its just a minute away from a top notch market and hospital, the schools are great, the food is amazing.. its 1hr by plane away from bangkok and theres hundreds of great beach clubs, plenty of space to surf and many amazing hotel brunches available. Eventually they'll somewhat fix the traffic situation a bit.

Bussinesses of quality thrive, shitty ones die.. that's how it should be. No one owes you anything.

If that doesnt make you happy, take some pills and go to sleep or theres always western depressed land where people will pay for your business to survive.  

Though i gotta say, id probably be salty too if i lived on the west coast.. thats where most of the tourists and scammy thais are so of course life isnt as good as where normal people live. Prefer being 30m away from the nicest beach, makes it more special when you visit anyways.

Edited by bearpolar