Big Bikes banned from National Parks until when.

Denim

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Which parks charge 1000% more for foreigners?

Took less than 10 seconds to find this:-

https://www.thainationalparks.com/posts/new-national-park-entrance-fees-announced

From that website:-

Group 1 Parks; 200฿ foreign adult = 10 x (20฿ for Thai adult) = 1000% of Thai adult price.

Maybe 'chrissables' could have expressed himself with more accuracy - he should have said ' ... 900% more' then you'd have had no reason to challenge him - but that doesn't detract from the gist of his post and we all make mistakes when hurriedly posting here.

Edited by MartinL

19 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

No alcohol in national parks.  No noise after 10pm.  No shampoo in waterfalls.  Some of them have banned foam now.  Noisy/polluting bikes being banned makes sense when you see the sort of peace and quiet they're trying to promote.   Lots of places to drive noisy bikes.  I don't think they belong in national parks.

Why not "no cars at all?" Big parking lot at the front gate of the park and everyone walks in.  No booze, no vaping, no cigarettes,  no telephones, no electronic devices with speaker, no fun, no kissing, no holding hands, (Lord Buddha) no sex, no fun, no talking too loud, no fun, no campfires, no singing, no fun, no tents, no fun, no walking off designated paths, no interaction with nature, no farting, no talk unless it is about "happiness to the people", no foreigners unless they pay 10X what a Thai pays, no, no, no, no, no.....

Now, if they could just apply this level of enforcement to their roads!

"Yeah, no kidding!"

Edited by connda

31 minutes ago, connda said:

Why not "no cars at all?" Big parking lot at the front gate of the park and everyone walks in. 

The problem with that is the visitor centre and the attractions are usually somewhere in the middle of the park, not right at the edge of it.  And you can't expect anybody to walk 5-10km (for example), especially Thais.

I'd support some kind of electric shuttle bus.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"My point is why single out a single group if that is their issue ?"

So you then single out children!  No hypocricy there, eh?

"Their argument is that loud noises disturb the wildlife.  Obviously, people believe that not all loud noises are the same".

And some people, like you, believe that children make the same noise as loud bikes!

Had you bothered to read the thread from the top instead of going into your usual cyber warrior with pants down mode  you would have seen Honda Waves and large groups mentioned before noisy children. That makes a total of three groups ' singled out ' .......

What is it with you ?  You never post anything positive , express  an opinion of your own or  try to be helpful in any way. Your only input is to make sarcastic comments about other peoples posts. 

Talk about narcissism. You should start a thread on it so that you could at least speak with some authority about something.

40 minutes ago, Denim said:

What is it with you ?  You never post anything positive , express  an opinion of your own or  try to be helpful in any way. Your only input is to make sarcastic comments about other peoples posts. 

Registered with this 'Just Weird' username - who knows which troll it was previously - for just 90 days, 1182 posts > 13.xx a day.

What a life this troll must lead!!

3 hours ago, MartinL said:

Took less than 10 seconds to find this:-

https://www.thainationalparks.com/posts/new-national-park-entrance-fees-announced

From that website:-

Group 1 Parks; 200฿ foreign adult = 10 x (20฿ for Thai adult) = 1000% of Thai adult price.

Maybe 'chrissables' could have expressed himself with more accuracy - he should have said ' ... 900% more' then you'd have had no reason to challenge him - but that doesn't detract from the gist of his post and we all make mistakes when hurriedly posting here.

I didn't challenge him, I asked a question.  That must have been one of those mistakes "we all" make that you made when hurriedly posting, I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I didn't challenge him, I asked a question.  That must have been one of those mistakes "we all" make that you made when hurriedly posting, I suppose.

You challenged him to name some NPs charging that rate ...

One man's question is another man's challenge - but just semantics here.

Edited by MartinL

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Had you bothered to read the thread from the top instead of going into your usual cyber warrior with pants down mode  you would have seen Honda Waves and large groups mentioned before noisy children. That makes a total of three groups ' singled out ' .......

Had you bothered to read what I said to you, you would have seen that I was responding to your comment which singled out children.

12 minutes ago, MartinL said:

You challenged him to name some NPs charging that rate ...

One man's question is another man's challenge - but just semantics here.

Nothing to do with semantics, unless you can't understand the meaning of "which parks charge 1000% more for foreigners? ".  That was a question.

55 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Registered with this 'Just Weird' username - who knows which troll it was previously - for just 90 days, 1182 posts > 13.xx a day.

What a life this troll must lead!!

Well, my life isn't so sad that I have to analyse other member's posts to see, down to two decimal points, what their posting rate is!

Not Thailand but 

• 32 (1) No person shall, in a Park,

• (a) cause any excessive noise;

• (b) conduct or behave in a manner that unreasonably disturbs other persons in the Park or unreasonably interferes with their enjoyment of the Park; or

• (c) carry out any action that unreasonably interferes with fauna or the natural beauty of the Park.

• (2) The superintendent may remove or have removed from a Park any person who by his disorderly conduct, behaviour or action is in violation of subsection (1).

• (3) No person who has been removed from a Park under subsection (2) shall enter or attempt to enter that Park for one year following the date of removal unless that person applies for and obtains permission from the superintendent to enter the Park.

I suspect Thailand has such clauses but.. Again new rules are  not aimed at foreigners.

Just a thought? Big bike riders must pay the same fee as foreigners? Proceeds could be used to buy sound monitoring equipment? I know a joke but... 

On 12/23/2017 at 9:30 PM, Gold Star said:

My pet peeve is loud obnoxious bikes, and I'm a serious big bike rider. However, these idiot bureaucrats are not banning noisy polluting bikes. They are singling out big bikes which makes no sense. Some of these big bikes are so quiet, and have the lowest emissions of all, for example some of the touring BMWs with catalytic converters, and even electric big bikes.

If sound is an issue, use a decibel meter and ban anything entering the parks over 95 decibels: loud scooters, busses, trucks, cars, stereos, and screaming kids.

I think this is a case of a lot of folks suffering for the acts of a few.  In this case, it's the few manufacturers of big bikes who deliberately put out scooters that make a lot of noise. 

Imagine the arguments if they outlawed loud bikes or modified exhausts and the owners of big Harleys insist that their scooters haven't been modified so they're perfectly legal.  And they idle across the entrance at 94 dB to get past the decibel meters, only to open them up to their full 110 dB a hundred meters down the road.

I suspect they've already banned modified exhausts on the smaller ubiquitous scooters, and adding all big bikes is just a way to prevent arguments.  Especially when a MC gang shows up with 10x the number of members as they have park officials in the entrance gate.  Nobody wants to see that argument start.

I'd have preferred to see a ban on noisy exhausts on any vehicle, but can see where they'd have problems and arguments (complete with machetes pulled) enforcing a rule with any wiggle room.

And I laugh on anyone equating the noise of a bunch of kids having fun with the earsplitting noise of a scooter modified to turn heads.  They're not even in the same order of magnitude of irritating.  50 meters away, you can't even hear the kids.  You can hear the low bass rumble of a modified scooter from miles away.

Edit:  I should add that where I come from- if it has 2 wheels, it's lovingly referred to as a scooter or a sled.  We even have scooters with 5 liter V8 Chevy engines.

Edited by impulse

On 12/24/2017 at 12:12 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I see your point but most big bikes are noisy.  Not all, granted.  And the ones that are noisy are often very noisy, louder than any sound a car would make.  It's easier to ban the lot and unfairly persecute a few quiet bikes than it is to start testing every vehicle with decibel meters.

I disagree that most big bikes are noisy. Out of our regular weekly big bike rides in Pattaya which are open to the public, which draws about 10 to 15 big bikes weekly, only a couple of them that show up are loud. The rest are unmodified, quiet, and not at all a noise threat.

Continuing with the same dumb logic, since rapists are men, they should ban all single unaccompanied men with a tattoo from entering the National Parks, as they appear to look threatening, and would include most monks, staff, and tourists.