Best music is from last century?

thaibeachlovers

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Must have been about the same time as Bad Moon Rising. The great Steve Cropper on guitar. Thanks for sharing.

I loved Bad Moon Rising when it came out. Didn't know anything about the band. I liked one or two songs from a great number of bands, but none of them changed my life, as I wasn't able to save their music and I wasn't rich enough to buy records. Wasn't till 1978 that I started collecting records, and by then the old stuff wasn't really available where I lived.

Booker T was about the same time and I was really into Time is Tight. I bought the LP just for that song. Never bought any CCR till decades later from the cheap rack.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, transam said:

After the Beatles melted their brains with too many drugs, they made that sort of music and I couldn't be bothered listening to them anymore.

I think you probably had to be high yourself to appreciate it.

Then came the Ono band era and he went completely OTT, IMO.

He was a really great song writer before, but drugs don't make one more clever- just the opposite.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

After the Beatles melted their brains with too many drugs, they made that sort of music and I couldn't be bothered listening to them anymore.

You did not have to be high. I loved their music before I ever tried drugs and I love it today. A lot of other people feel the same way.

Edited by Ulysses G.

18 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Half a dozen ? Harsh, for me 2 dozen more likely.

But you are spot on about the Stones, and i dare to say most, if not all the great names of pop music , including the Beatles, were copying the music of the American Black community.

imo, all the great pop music of the fabulous 60s owe a lot to the American Blacks.. Just my impression.

All musicians copy each other. That is nothing new. However, IMHO, both the Beatles and the Stones made much better music than the musicians that they looked up to and they were far from the only ones. Many white bands improved on the ideas that inspired them originally - as did Jimmy Hendrix and Prince.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Then came the Ono band era and he went completely OTT, IMO.

He was a really great song writer before, but drugs don't make one more clever- just the opposite.

Think you will find most went their own way with the music they wanted to do, Clapton is a fine example..As for doing drugs, well l reckon there ain't many who were "clean"..

I really like this song done by big names, Clapton at is youngish best...Ignore the first bit, listen to the song...

16 minutes ago, transam said:

As for doing drugs, well l reckon there ain't many who were "clean"..

The Beatles were taking hard drugs and drinking alcohol before they became famous, starting when they were working crazy hours in Hamburg. None of the Beatles recorded music came about from innocence.  athrashi.gifmusic%20in%20thailand.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Think you will find most went their own way with the music they wanted to do, Clapton is a fine example..As for doing drugs, well l reckon there ain't many who were "clean"..

I really like this song done by big names, Clapton at is youngish best...Ignore the first bit, listen to the song...

I'm pretty sure that drugs have influenced the music.

Just now, transam said:

For sure, look at me, I must have at least three pints before I stand up and do my stuff....classic-guitar-smiley-emoticon.gif.151fb1a0f85bb1caf03f02b8a9c0147e.gif

Well, I meant illegal drugs. Can you imagine Woodstock without people being on drugs? ( Of course also the bands....):shock1:    Quite a few didn't pass the magic "27 years mark"....

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

All musicians copy each other. That is nothing new. However, IMHO, both the Beatles and the Stones made much better music than the musicians that they looked up to and they were far from the only ones. Many white bands improved on the ideas that inspired them originally - as did Jimmy Hendrix and Prince.

Prince? Purple Rain one of the most annoying songs in history. Only Queen songs more annoying.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I dare say that all the R & R, Blues and Elvis music was derived, or copied, from black musicians, but they were not played on white music stations in the US. White musicians playing "black" music made it acceptable for whites to listen to.

"White musicians playing "black" music made it acceptable for whites to listen to." And that is why Elvis's producer (Sam Phillips of Sun Records and Sun Studios in Memphis) took Elvis on board. Smart man Sam.

Talkin about the best music from the last century,  having cross my mind about the best music from a film that will never  happen these day

Undoubtedly a classic !

My mother had the album and played it constantly, actually it was great background music and gives me some wonderful childhood memories !!
Then of course it was on telly at Christmas and i can picture my mother now, singing along to it quietly to herself [emoji4]
Oh to be 6 years old again [emoji14]

42 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Undoubtedly a classic !

My mother had the album and played it constantly, actually it was great background music and gives me some wonderful childhood memories !!
Then of course it was on telly at Christmas and i can picture my mother now, singing along to it quietly to herself emoji4.png
Oh to be 6 years old again emoji14.png

yes indeed , these music along with Breakfast at tiffany's "Moon River" are stand  against time .  I remember my father always play this along with "The Bridge Over the River Kwai" , we use to see this on our movie projectors rather on TV.

Music from any era will have a following, that's the great thing about music, it ticks boxes..

I must admit I like to listen to classical organ music, not the religious stuff, just the power of the instrument and expertise of the organist....:stoner:

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Music from any era will have a following, that's the great thing about music, it ticks boxes..

I must admit I like to listen to classical organ music, not the religious stuff, just the power of the instrument and expertise of the organist....:stoner:

Excellent organist.

I am ashamed to admit that although I tried, I just don't love the Beatles. Probably because they were broke up before I was a teen. I can say I don't mind their songs, but they have a corny feel to them and I certainly would n't play any of them for myself. I accept they were revolutionary, but the music scene had advanced by the time I was paying attention to music. late 70's.