With high season here, army warns jet ski vendors against resuming scams

Rimmer

With high season here, army warns jet ski vendors against resuming scams

image.png

PATTAYA:--The military warned about 100 Pattaya jet ski operators against defrauding and extorting tourists through scams that made the city’s beachfront notorious worldwide.

National Council for Peace and Order representative Teerasak Jathupong and Pattaya municipal police chief Jirawat Sukontasap told the operators Dec. 22 that the years of headline-grabbing scams critically damaged Pattaya’s reputation.

While such scams have abated in the past year-plus, they warned the jet ski owners that the arrival of high season shouldn’t tempt them to return to their nefarious ways.

Until mid-2016, social media and internet discussion forums regularly posted stories of tourists who returned from their jet ski rides to find a gang of angry-looking Thai men accusing them of damaging the watercraft and demanding as much as 150,000 baht in compensation.

When tourists refused to pay, they were assaulted or threatened with bodily harm and police provided no help. In fact, many officers participated in the scam, taking a cut of the proceeds, a fact admitted by a former Pattaya police chief.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/high-season-army-warns-jet-ski-vendors-resuming-scams-197718

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-12-29

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

How about stopping the lipservice, and starting to arrest them and confiscating their jetski's?

Heard the same song for years, but it never stops.

An Army live fire demonstration using the scammer's offending jet ski as a target with a 50 cal would make a good impression for others.

10 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Resuming? I didn't know they had taken a break or time out.

Yes they did take a break , the army did a pretty good job to scare the mafia away back in 2016 . I know because I followed them for quite some time opposite Mikes. They could have moved somewhere else , but I have not heard of many scams the last 2 years.  

The army should also warn the Police to Stop its corruption as a number of officers were in league with the jet ski cheats !!

Anyhow the harm is done and those who rent a jet ski anywhere in Thailand do it at their own risk.

Edited by observer90210

14 hours ago, dpdp said:

Really, this scam is still active ? I haven't been there watch the animals cheating since a long time.

i live here and my girl and i would like to ride the jet skis but we both know its just too much trouble so we never bother, think about how much business their losing by the 100s of people who dont use them cos of there reputation they have.

8 hours ago, balo said:

Yes they did take a break , the army did a pretty good job to scare the mafia away back in 2016 . I know because I followed them for quite some time opposite Mikes. They could have moved somewhere else , but I have not heard of many scams the last 2 years.  

Wow, someone finally stopped that scam! Years ago I saw tourists and scammers arguing in that spot each and every day.

Pathetic police statement ! They could confiscate their motorised junk but as ever too easy and might hurt the scammers !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You didn't read the op properly or have never been to Pattaya. The scamming has stopped. Its just a warning not to start again

8 hours ago, catman20 said:

i live here and my girl and i would like to ride the jet skis but we both know its just too much trouble so we never bother, think about how much business their losing by the 100s of people who dont use them cos of there reputation they have.

I am sure you would not get scammed. Hire one between Sois 4 and 1 and you should be fine. I have only seen a couple of incidents and they involved 2 guys barging into each other and causing damage both times. 

Maximum liability now is 4K Baht as renters are now obliged to take out insurance. I presume the 4 grand is for excess.

Big bang this afternoon when a jetski crashed into a parked pleasure boat near the beach. Two young South Asian ladies were thrown off but both walked away seemingly unharmed. A trip to an optician is in order for the driver. Discussions are politely ongoing with lifeguards and other sundry uniformed officials involved.  Neither of the 2 ladies looked older than 16.

20171231_145629.jpg

Scam and corruption "Thai" defined and "Western" defined are not the same thing.

What you would think is criminal in Thailand is not.  New-comers please be careful and do your research on the one and only Thaivisa.com !!!!!!