Kick out from hotel like a vagabond.

Tchooptip

17 hours ago, jobsworth said:

i don't understand how a hotel can manage bookings. obviously they want as many guests as possible but if it is possible to check in without a reservation and it is also possible to make a reservation some days in advance. there must be a conflict. what if as stated here you check in without a reservation and stay until somebody else has a reservation on your room? i have had similar experiences in germany, cambodia and laos. on all occasions i have been asked to leave but in a friendly manner. needless to say i have never gone back to those places but thinking about it what else can they do? is it like an airline where you book more passengers than you have seats on the assumption that some will not turn up for the flight? a booking is a reservation and an airline will sometimes book you on another airline if they don't have a seat for you.  aeroflot once booked me on thai air and very nice it was too. i guess the difference is that in one case you have not paid any money while on the other you have. anybody have any experience of this or know anything about hotel management?

I was in hotels and answered your question in an earlier post of mine.

However, you have also asked about bookings and vacancies. The majority of hotels of any size these days that also take online bookings use a channel manager. This is in effect a link to all the different booking organisations such as Agoda, Bookings.com, Hotels.com etc that the hotel uses linked back to their own computer.

This enables them to see at any given time the occupancy in the hotel and adjust prices accordingly to demand. There are contracts in place with these organisations that the hotel cannot give a better rate than what the booking engines are advertising otherwise they will not allow the hotel into their systems. If bookings have been pre-booked and paid at whatever rate, that's the end of it for that particular room.

Some hotels leave or block off a percentage of rooms for walk-ins and direct bookings with the hotel's own website, some don't. I think this hotel was waiting to see if all bookings turned up or confirmed if booked directly with the hotel. When that proved to be the case, (which it would at New Year), they informed the customer there were no vacancies and he had to leave.

He was presuming he could carry on his own sweet way, and paying three days in advance each time but not committing himself to the full festive period.This gave him the option to leave at the ' drop of a hat ' if it suited him. The hotel therefore had to treat him as a walk-in and when a request for the room came in, his particular room would show a check out date on the computer for the day he had paid up to. They therefore, took the booking.There was nothing rude nor was it a personal insult, it was purely business at a busy time in the calendar.

If there was a switched on receptionist, I suppose they could have asked him what his intentions were and to make a commitment by paying the room as they were getting enquiries. However, that is a perfect world and this is staff we are talking about here. However, why didn't he think of that himself with full knowledge it's the busiest time of year?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently you don't have a reservation or booking for the period specified.

There are people coming who do and have reserved well in advance. It seems fair that they should be given priority, else what is the point of the whole booking and reservation system.

It is quite likely the arriving guests are paying more than you.

Hotels strive to keep their rooms occupied at the best rate possible and this time of year is when they make most, with special overpriced 'Gala; events, often obligatory, on New Years Eve..

It is dopey of them not to give you a little more warning!

But they do dopey here!

Edited by jacko45k

On Sat Dec 30 2017 at 9:56 AM, noise said:

Get the Tourist Police to help you.  If you made your reservation thru the 5th or 6th of Jan, you should be able to get the Tourist Police to help you make the hotel honor that.

No the OP did not paid up to the 6th of Jan. That's the problem. 

As previous post mentioned .....  he didn't pay in advance to the 6th Jan,  so there's his problem.

If he wanted to guarantee the room right through he should have stated this and payed upto the 6th and confirmed with the manager that he has the room confirmed until Jan 6th.

14 minutes ago, catman20 said:

no i mean to give them bad press so others dont go there!!!!!

The OP screwed up. There's nothing to give the hotel bad press about without lying.  Bad advice to give to someone in a country with anti-defamation laws.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:23 PM, impulse said:

You may sign the credit card slip when you check out, but if you forget to sign that credit card slip, they'll still get paid.

I don't know many hotels that are going to run a cash tab for someone not related to the owner.   None that stay in business more than the few months it takes for everyone to find out where to stay for free.

Sorry I don't understand. I give them my credit card upon checking out.

On 01/01/2018 at 4:44 AM, Scouse123 said:

I was in hotels and answered your question in an earlier post of mine.

However, you have also asked about bookings and vacancies. The majority of hotels of any size these days that also take online bookings use a channel manager. This is in effect a link to all the different booking organisations such as Agoda, Bookings.com, Hotels.com etc that the hotel uses linked back to their own computer.

This enables them to see at any given time the occupancy in the hotel and adjust prices accordingly to demand. There are contracts in place with these organisations that the hotel cannot give a better rate than what the booking engines are advertising otherwise they will not allow the hotel into their systems. If bookings have been pre-booked and paid at whatever rate, that's the end of it for that particular room.

Some hotels leave or block off a percentage of rooms for walk-ins and direct bookings with the hotel's own website, some don't. I think this hotel was waiting to see if all bookings turned up or confirmed if booked directly with the hotel. When that proved to be the case, (which it would at New Year), they informed the customer there were no vacancies and he had to leave.

He was presuming he could carry on his own sweet way, and paying three days in advance each time but not committing himself to the full festive period.This gave him the option to leave at the ' drop of a hat ' if it suited him. The hotel therefore had to treat him as a walk-in and when a request for the room came in, his particular room would show a check out date on the computer for the day he had paid up to. They therefore, took the booking.There was nothing rude nor was it a personal insult, it was purely business at a busy time in the calendar.

If there was a switched on receptionist, I suppose they could have asked him what his intentions were and to make a commitment by paying the room as they were getting enquiries. However, that is a perfect world and this is staff we are talking about here. However, why didn't he think of that himself with full knowledge it's the busiest time of year?

Good post.

The OP has probably ruined one couples New Year's Eve hotel booking and, by posting this topic in an effort to Thai bash and demonstrate how good his connections are, has backfired somewhat.

Several people screwed up along the way in order for this to happen

- Did you tell them you were staying until the 5-6th or did you just assume you could? if you didn't tell them then it's mainly your own fault you're in this predicament

-  Management is also to blame for not seeing this happening... they should have asked you how long you were planning on staying and making sure they had the rooms available before making additional reservations or If the room was booked in advance they should have told you in advance that you can only stay until said date so you can make the proper arrangements to find lodging at a different location.

If you told them you were staying and needed the room until the 5-6th then they totally <deleted> up and they should be giving the shaft to people who made reservations not you!

Edited by speckio

1 minute ago, Rhys said:

... so somewhat in the same issue... if your reserve a room with your credit card, and you don't show or call to cancel, can the hotel charge you for the entire days reserved?

Sometimes they just charge the first night for a no show.... 

It varies 

Just now, speedtripler said:

Sometimes they just charge the first night for a no show.... 

It varies 

Thanks... do you have a legal position for saying I want my money back?  Why would the hotel be allowed to collect?  

1 minute ago, Rhys said:

Thanks... do you have a legal position for saying I want my money back?  Why would the hotel be allowed to collect?  

agoda  and some other travel booking things have a policy of charging you for the room since they can't rent it to anyone else if you don't arrive and don't cancel

(usually they waive the charge if you cancel within 24hrs of arrival so they have a chance to rent it to someone else but it may depend on the hotel too) 

28 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

agoda  and some other travel booking things have a policy of charging you for the room since they can't rent it to anyone else if you don't arrive and don't cancel

(usually they waive the charge if you cancel within 24hrs of arrival so they have a chance to rent it to someone else but it may depend on the hotel too) 

Sorry,

Not completely correct actually. You have to read the small print of each hotel policy at the time of booking. They are clearly marked, so no deceitful behavior. Some want three days notice, some 24 hours, some charge for the whole period if you cancel in the week you are due to go there.

It all depends on the hotel policy, not the booking engines.

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Sorry,

Not completely correct actually. You have to read the small print of each hotel policy at the time of booking. They are clearly marked, so no deceitful behavior. Some want three days notice, some 24 hours, some charge for the whole period if you cancel in the week you are due to go there.

It all depends on the hotel policy, not the booking engines.

Youre probably right, I only vaguely remember the details 

XGf worked for agoda and she booked all our holidays for years 

We used to book the first night in advance so if the hotel is crap you can leave the next day to a better one 

Only once in Thailand did we want to extend the stay and they refused cash at reception because fully booked... 

3 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

This is the most bizarre thread I've read in a long time and I can't understand why the OP isn't being more widely mocked.  Not that I applaud mocking, but relative to other less-dopey threads, this one has got off very lightly..

"like a vagabond" is a great title tho.... :smile:

17 hours ago, Rhys said:

... so somewhat in the same issue... if your reserve a room with your credit card, and you don't show or call to cancel, can the hotel charge you for the entire days reserved?

Yes, they had to keep the room unsold, because you might turn up and want your room. If you called to cancel, they might be able to release the room to be rented to potential guests.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:23 PM, impulse said:

You may sign the credit card slip when you check out, but if you forget to sign that credit card slip, they'll still get paid.

I don't know many hotels that are going to run a cash tab for someone not related to the owner.   None that stay in business more than the few months it takes for everyone to find out where to stay for free.

Please explain how they would do this if I haven't given them my CC info.

I understand you have not experienced this and want to "win" this discussion but, by denying what I am saying as true, you are either saying I am an idiot or lying. Please allow that someone else's experience might differ from yours.

If you need to "win" I declare you the "winner". 

Cheers

10 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Please explain how they would do this if I haven't given them my CC info.

I understand you have not experienced this and want to "win" this discussion but, by denying what I am saying as true, you are either saying I am an idiot or lying. Please allow that someone else's experience might differ from yours.

If you need to "win" I declare you the "winner". 

Cheers

Nope.  One of my first rules of living in Asia is just because it happened to me, doesn't mean it happened to someone else.  (That's actually a corollary of "Just because he got away with it last year, doesn't mean I will this year").

I can't recall, in 15 years as a traveling salesman with up to 200 nights a year in hotels, ever being allowed to stay without paying in advance or presenting a credit card to assure payment.  But that doesn't mean someone else staying in other hotels haven't.  It doesn't even mean it's never happened to me and I forgot.

So I'm going with my moniker-  I could be wrong.  It happens.

21 hours ago, impulse said:

Nope.  One of my first rules of living in Asia is just because it happened to me, doesn't mean it happened to someone else.  (That's actually a corollary of "Just because he got away with it last year, doesn't mean I will this year").

I can't recall, in 15 years as a traveling salesman with up to 200 nights a year in hotels, ever being allowed to stay without paying in advance or presenting a credit card to assure payment.  But that doesn't mean someone else staying in other hotels haven't.  It doesn't even mean it's never happened to me and I forgot.

So I'm going with my moniker-  I could be wrong.  It happens.

I used to work at hotels and can't see renting to anyone without payment up front or a valid credit card. I can just imagine upon checkout that the guest tries to pay and his card is declined due to insufficient funds or maybe the card is damaged. Now what? I just don't see this happening. Especially the hotels in heavy tourist areas they know that people frequently overspend and then if there is nothing to charge to, the guest could sneak out on the bill, still, I'd like to know the name of that hotel.

3 hours ago, elnet1 said:

I used to work at hotels and can't see renting to anyone without payment up front or a valid credit card. I can just imagine upon checkout that the guest tries to pay and his card is declined due to insufficient funds or maybe the card is damaged. Now what? I just don't see this happening. Especially the hotels in heavy tourist areas they know that people frequently overspend and then if there is nothing to charge to, the guest could sneak out on the bill, still, I'd like to know the name of that hotel.

I'll question a guy's memory of how things happened, because my memory isn't as good as it used to be, and never was as good as I remember it being.

But one of my pet peeves is posters who claim I'm lying because my experiences don't match up with their's or their view of how things work around the world.  So I try not to do it to others.   I thought maybe he had let them swipe it when he checked in, or used it to guaranty the reservation (and forgot).  Apparently not.   I'm taking him at his word now that he's filled in the details indicating he didn't give them his CC details until he checked out.  It's a big world and stranger things have happened.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

I'll question a guy's memory of how things happened, because my memory isn't as good as it used to be, and never was as good as I remember it being.

But one of my pet peeves is posters who claim I'm lying because my experiences don't match up with their's or their view of how things work around the world.  So I try not to do it to others.   I thought maybe he had let them swipe it when he checked in, or used it to guaranty the reservation (and forgot).  Apparently not.   I'm taking him at his word now that he's filled in the details indicating he didn't give them his CC details until he checked out.  It's a big world and stranger things have happened.

I have stayed at hotels and not paid until it came time to leave.... I don't think its as rare as people think

But when I check maybe they see a permanent visa or speaking to them in Thai makes them think I'm not a tourist who might run away without paying the bill.... 

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

I have stayed at hotels and not paid until it came time to leave.... I don't think its as rare as people think

But when I check maybe they see a permanent visa or speaking to them in Thai makes them think I'm not a tourist who might run away without paying the bill.... 

I think the chances are you have stayed upcountry or smaller informal hotels as opposed to the bigger or main ones in Bangkok and Phuket and the like, where it is standard policy.

I stay at the Tawana in Bangkok when in town and they have known me personally 20+ years and always ask me for a swiped credit card to hold. Yes, I pay when checking out to settle the bill, but they still have my swiped credit card, just in case I have a heart attack in the middle of the night and can't pay!

Maybe, it has something to do with staff wages being docked if they make errors dealing with customers and the hotel loses money? The staff just will not take the risk.

I have a long-term extension of stay in my passport for many years and speak reasonable Thai but it makes no difference.

Edited by Scouse123