Junta’s road map to democracy is full of detours

rooster59

By ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM, 
KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE SUNDAY NATION

9eaaabc21149788de9bb4c97a2557ae9.jpeg

THE JUNTA’S promised road map to democracy has arrived at a crucial stage as the completion of the organic laws draws near and the junta head General Prayut Chan-o-cha has promised the world’s superpower, the United States, that an election will take place in late 2018. But the road remains bumpy and difficult, and uncertainty remains.

When it toppled an elected government and took power in 2014 after a long-running street demonstration, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) vowed to return happiness to the people and to return the country to a genuine democracy following its road map. The road map has since been at the heart of the regime and its promise, to the Thai people and to the world, to re-establish civilian rule. But somehow, this plan has become dynamic and has been extended on several occasions.

The road map has three major phases, according to the junta. First, a new Constitution had to be written. It had to have mechanisms to ensure good governance, and promise graft-fighting and lasting peace. The specifications resulted in two rounds of writing. The first one was shot down for opening the way to set up a so-called crisis committee that could overrule the elected government. Hence, the first phase of the road map was stretched out to allow a second round of charter writing.

The whole process of coming up with the new Constitution took three years in total before the supreme law could finally be promulgated.

After the imposition of the new charter in April, the second phase of the road map began. The Constitution set down that 10 organic laws should be written within 240 days to prepare for the last phase: the election.

By law, an election must be held 150 days after the promulgation of the four organic laws – on the Senate, MPs, political parties and the Election Commission (EC). The Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC), designated by the NCPO, promised to speed up its work to make sure the four laws were in effect as soon as possible so the election could be held. The chief charter writer even said that it should not take the whole 240 days. But after all, it did. The organic laws on the Senate and MPs were the last of the 10 submitted to the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) late last month. The regime reasoned that they had to be in line with the EC and the political parties laws, which were held up for revisions in the NLA for two months.

In the past year, politics has centred around these pieces of legislation and their complications. The deadline of 240 days was reached in early December. And so, under the road map promised by the junta, the highly anticipated election and the return to democratic rule should be just around the corner. But the current circumstances are suggesting otherwise and uncertainty remains. Although the organic laws governing political parties and the EC law are already in effect, the junta has kept stalling and it will not allow political parties to make arrangements following the new regulations. Political activities could destroy the peace, so the junta says.

As pressure has been growing amid the enduring political ban, the junta decided to exercise its absolute power under Article 44 to issue an order to reschedule everything. The political party law lays out that parties should have completed all their arrangements and be ready to campaign for an election by the middle of next year. But, under the new timetable set by the NCPO, that will be when the parties can kickstart their activities. In addition, it now seems that the last two bills – on the Senate and the MPs – and might be stalled, making it more difficult to keep the previous schedule.

The last phase of the road map – the election promised for November – hence seems to be under a cloud.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335115

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-31

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The road map has since been at the heart of the regime and its promise, to the Thai people and to the world, to re-establish civilian rule.

...but right now it looks like Siam Country Club Road.

1262-n6SSCC.jpg

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Political activities could destroy the peace, so the junta says.

can use this argument to justify, hampering politics-outside-of-the military for a,long time;

what i believe they really refer to is a 'political roadmap', going forward will look a lot like the past few elections cycles;

to wit; leadups to elections will be peaceful (military still in power);

then a winner and some calm; then the losers gang-up in the streets in some trumped up protest with purpose of destabilizing the winners, bringing those winners back to earth for a new round

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But somehow, this plan has become dynamic and has been extended on several occasions.

And that's the crux of it: It's not that "somehow" mysteriously a higher force altered this plan; no, it was designed, however clumsy and obvious by the junta to be extended as they pleased. Yet, let's blame the "somehow".

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And numerous bridges that they are presently attaching bombs to..........

So....... Not only 'detours' but some bridges that won't be 'passable' on said roadmap.....

Quite simple IMO, alas: ANYONE promising 'democracy' for Thailand within anything less than twenty years, minimum, is LYING, period! Not that the general population understands the true meaning of 'democarcy' anyway, mind you, nor the implications of such a regime, wherein duties, self-imposed rules and sacrifices take in a much larger space than rights, freedoms, material comfort, ...to be able to secure these lasts for all citizens  on a permanent base in the future.

But hey, as it seems even the population of countries considered as old democracies seem to have largely forgotten what the system is about, and which their positive input needs to be to keep it alive, who'd expect the modal adult Thai with the maturity of a 12-14 years old to 'have what it takes' to start it up...? 

Edited by bangrak

Quite simple IMO, alas: ANYONE promising 'democracy' for Thailand within anything less than twenty years, minimum, is LYING, period! Not that the general population understands the true meaning of 'democarcy' anyway, mind you, nor the implications of such a regime, wherein duties, self-imposed rules and sacrifices take in a much larger space than rights, freedoms, material comfort, ...to be able to secure these lasts for all citizens  on a permanent base in the future.
But hey, as it seems even the population of countries considered as old democracies seem to have largely forgotten what the system is about, and which their positive input needs to be to keep it alive, who'd expect the modal adult Thai with the maturity of a 12-14 years old to 'have what it takes' to start it up...? 

That is just a long winded reiteration of that often heard arrogant mantra "the Thais are not ready for Democracy".
What it actually means is 'the Thais should not be allowed the right to choose their own government (because that is what democracy boils down to) until/unless they choose the one I know is best for them.
AHH, the white man's burden!

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, JAG said:

That is just a long winded reiteration of that often heard arrogant mantra "the Thais are not ready for Democracy".
What it actually means is 'the Thais should not be allowed the right to choose their own government (because that is what democracy boils down to) until/unless they choose the one I know is best for them.
AHH, the white man's burden!

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

JAG, my 'mantra' is that Thais are born with as much intellectual capacities than any newborn on the planet, even more for what practical intelligence and survival instinct are concerned, but, that, the pervert and wicked 'system', for many, many generations, from very young age, breaks down and 'rebuilds' the minds of Thais to fit into its selfish logic of dominance, to serve only 'the system''s goals, for long the 'old ammart' of nobility, more recently 'the new elite of chinese merchants', to have Thais uniformed(!), disciplined, with as little knowledge as needed to be usable.

Do you pretend it won't take at least one full generation, ...whenever 'the system' would allow it, to raise the education of the Thais to a level at which they will know about their, true, History f.i., they will be able to develop a critical sense, and make choices of their own based on a reasoned evaluation? To me, these are true 'essentials' to give the seed of 'democracy' a chance to germinate and grow!

'Democracy' = elections, is it? In the US way then, 'imposed' on countries to make these 'politically correct' for doing juicy business with? Like more recently Afghanistan, Irak, Lybia, Yemen? Are such countries anywhere ready for 'democracy', ...do the people there want 'democracy'? Come on, this is pure, Western, hypocrisy!

Free, fair, ...'democratical', elections are only possible where there is a 'democracy' (growing), understood, supported, created, defended, ...worked for, hard, by the immense majority of the population of a whole country. Thailand, today? Erm...   

20 minutes ago, bangrak said:

JAG, my 'mantra' is that Thais are born with as much intellectual capacities than any newborn on the planet, even more for what practical intelligence and survival instinct are concerned, but, that, the pervert and wicked 'system', for many, many generations, from very young age, breaks down and 'rebuilds' the minds of Thais to fit into its selfish logic of dominance, to serve only 'the system''s goals, for long the 'old ammart' of nobility, more recently 'the new elite of chinese merchants', to have Thais uniformed(!), disciplined, with as little knowledge as needed to be usable.

Do you pretend it won't take at least one full generation, ...whenever 'the system' would allow it, to raise the education of the Thais to a level at which they will know about their, true, History f.i., they will be able to develop a critical sense, and make choices of their own based on a reasoned evaluation? To me, these are true 'essentials' to give the seed of 'democracy' a chance to germinate and grow!

'Democracy' = elections, is it? In the US way then, 'imposed' on countries to make these 'politically correct' for doing juicy business with? Like more recently Afghanistan, Irak, Lybia, Yemen? Are such countries anywhere ready for 'democracy', ...do the people there want 'democracy'? Come on, this is pure, Western, hypocrisy!

Free, fair, ...'democratical', elections are only possible where there is a 'democracy' (growing), understood, supported, created, defended, ...worked for, hard, by the immense majority of the population of a whole country. Thailand, today? Erm...   

You see, I wonder what song the junta supporters on here would be singing if a group of 'red' Generals staged a counter coup and installed themselves into power...?

31 minutes ago, bangrak said:

The Thais had, and participated in, free elections, four times since the turn of the century. On each occasion enthusiastically, and on each occasion producing a clear, no emphatic, decision as to which political faction they wished to govern the country. Thailand throughout this period had a constitution and supporting entities that functioned as the rudimentary checks and balances, that much is demonstrated by the fact that both Thaksin and Yingluck, when challenged by extra parliamentary opposition, both did the constitutional and democratic thing and "went to the country" - called a general election. A minority, both in terms of numbers and the area of the country they represent responded by engineering a coup, on both occasions. Preventing democracy from being exercised.

Thailand had democratic government. Far from perfect in many ways, yet essentially conducted in accordance with a constitution which was supported by the people, and gave them far more democratic rights and personal and political freedoms than now.

That apart, stating that they are not ready for democracy, and only will be when certain parameters which you, or a body which meets your approval decide have been met is as I said arrogant. You and others who make this claim are effectively taking it upon yourselves to decide at which point the nation's people can be permitted to decide their own government. Something which they have practiced themselves before, on several occasions

You describe, quite accurately, the corrosive effects of the way in which society and it's education and control is manipulated and directed by the small "elite" who have subverted politics, government and its institutions to seize and retain power. You fail to consider that those actions can only be reversed, institutions freed from corrupt patronage and constitutional checks and balances (which exist on paper) allowed to operate and develop by a sustained period of democratic government. It may well take several generations to reach a state which can be described as "satisfactory", but it will never, never, never happen whilst an elite controlled junta is in power.

If it is not allowed, and junta government, either open or cloaked by the provisions now being implemented, continues, then eventually it will get very messy. I don't want to see that, I would far rather live with raucous political arguement, conflict if you like, as long as the principle of electing the government is established. That is the loadstone from which everything else in a democratic society springs. If the government is chosen other than by universal suffrage, however benevolent, fair minded, far sighted and wise it may be (not terms which could be applied to the present regime) then it is not democratic. I believe in democracy. So I believe do the majority of Thais.

16 minutes ago, JAG said:

The Thais had, and participated in, free elections, four times since the turn of the century. On each occasion enthusiastically, and on each occasion producing a clear, no emphatic, decision as to which political faction they wished to govern the country. Thailand throughout this period had a constitution and supporting entities that functioned as the rudimentary checks and balances, that much is demonstrated by the fact that both Thaksin and Yingluck, when challenged by extra parliamentary opposition, both did the constitutional and democratic thing and "went to the country" - called a general election. A minority, both in terms of numbers and the area of the country they represent responded by engineering a coup, on both occasions. Preventing democracy from being exercised.

Thailand had democratic government. Far from perfect in many ways, yet essentially conducted in accordance with a constitution which was supported by the people, and gave them far more democratic rights and personal and political freedoms than now.

That apart, stating that they are not ready for democracy, and only will be when certain parameters which you, or a body which meets your approval decide have been met is as I said arrogant. You and others who make this claim are effectively taking it upon yourselves to decide at which point the nation's people can be permitted to decide their own government. Something which they have practiced themselves before, on several occasions

You describe, quite accurately, the corrosive effects of the way in which society and it's education and control is manipulated and directed by the small "elite" who have subverted politics, government and its institutions to seize and retain power. You fail to consider that those actions can only be reversed, institutions freed from corrupt patronage and constitutional checks and balances (which exist on paper) allowed to operate and develop by a sustained period of democratic government. It may well take several generations to reach a state which can be described as "satisfactory", but it will never, never, never happen whilst an elite controlled junta is in power.

If it is not allowed, and junta government, either open or cloaked by the provisions now being implemented, continues, then eventually it will get very messy. I don't want to see that, I would far rather live with raucous political arguement, conflict if you like, as long as the principle of electing the government is established. That is the loadstone from which everything else in a democratic society springs. If the government is chosen other than by universal suffrage, however benevolent, fair minded, far sighted and wise it may be (not terms which could be applied to the present regime) then it is not democratic. I believe in democracy. So I believe do the majority of Thais.

Spot on!!!!

Unfortunately there are a few on here who put their own sense of entitlement above the basic rights of the Thai people and their arrogance completely blinds them to that fact. More scary there are also a few on here who have spouted so much crap about the little general and his band of merry men that they cannot admit that they got it completely wrong....

1 hour ago, baboon said:

You see, I wonder what song the junta supporters on here would be singing if a group of 'red' Generals staged a counter coup and installed themselves into power...?

Or what would the red-supporters say, if a PM declared that democracy was just a useful tool and that his party was going to be in-power for the next twenty years, or that reporters need not bother asking his ministers any questions, since he was the one who made all the decisions ? :wink:

I myself think we'd all welcome the next halfway-proper election, a.s.a.p. !

4 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Or what would the red-supporters say, if a PM declared that democracy was just a useful tool and that his party was going to be in-power for the next twenty years, or that reporters need not bother asking his ministers any questions, since he was the one who made all the decisions ? :wink:

I myself think we'd all welcome the next halfway-proper election, a.s.a.p. !

I would certainly want anyone like that slung out on their a##e. It's what the ballot box is for, after all.