Invisible "smart line" just another way for police to extract money, say angry Thais online

webfact

Invisible "smart line" just another way for police to extract money, say angry Thais online

2pm.jpg

video screenshot

Thais online condemned a device apparently being used by the police to stop lane changing.

A video showed the device in operation. It amounts to a box and a line dissecting it that motorists are not allowed to cross.

It was put on Facebook along with the warning that crossing the red line would result in a 500 baht fine that would be sent to your house. If you didn't pay within 7 days it went up to 1,500 baht.

But Thais commenting on the scheme were furious. Many said that if the authorities wanted to stop lane changing they should put in a barrier.

This was just ripping off the public, they said.

One after watching the video said that 23 vehicles would be in the wrong each minute that could equate to 33,000 fines a day - a nice earner for the cops!

The "smart line" technology featured on the Isan Makmuan Isan Record page. It was not reported where the line was in operation.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-11

What road markings are there?? Cannot make out on the video. If the road is not marked out correctly, which I doubt, then there is no case. I am expecting to see either a yellow hatching area or solid yellow lines. 

they need to teach them that when crossing the centre line on any road they must make sure that there are no cars on the other side, the amount of times these idiots simply cross to the other side of the road into oncoming traffic so they do not have to slow down or to avoid a puddle of water is unbelievable. Add to that that most dont even indicate and just swerve in front of you causing you to either have to swerve sharply to avoid them, hit the brake very hard or even have your side mirror smashed as they continue on ignorant of what they have done. These drivers need to learn what centre lines as well as other lines on the roads mean and obey them, its part of what causes many accidents, ignorance and their impatience are no excuse

I know this area. It's on Wippawaddee road near JJ park opposite Central. BIB have done well to choose it, it's a crazy situation as you come off the flyover, you have to get into the left hand lane sharpish as just ahead is the entrance to the toll way. They'll catch a heck of a lot of poor sods going across. Very unfair. Road markings are also very poor on the road here. I'll watch what I'm doing next time I come past here. Very dangerous layout. 

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not ripping off the public if they know they cant change the line there sign or road markings, the police can't help it that the motorists wont obey the law.

I notice the road markings where the red line is, isn't a full line, so traffic rules don't prohibit from crossing that line

Unfortunately Thai drivers don't get the concept of space or time. If they need to be in the left hand lane as they come of the flyover they will just move across as soon as they exit it. No need to look to see if anyone is already in that space.

The turn they will want to take might be half a mile away but they need to get over ASAP. 

Dangerous AF and clueless with it. 

25000 deaths a year prove that.

15 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I notice the road markings where the red line is, isn't a full line, so traffic rules don't prohibit from crossing that line

I could not see it clear that is why i said if.. and yes if its not a full line then traffic rules don't prohibit it and its a rip off. 

mabey this is the mentality of the average thai..they feel the law is not a law it is really just a way of soliciting money.....now I understand  ''I think'...AMUSING THAILAND

Edited by mok199

4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

It is a solid line from the barrier till the end of the red line, only then is it dotted and you may then merge. Nothing wrong.

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

Why this outrage?

Painted lines are also invisible to most motorists, as are the red lights, "no parking", "no u-turn" and other traffic signs or markings.

Add signs indicating disabled parking, very often totally ignored.

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

mabey this is the mentality of the average thai..they feel the law is not a law it is really just a way of soliciting money.....now I understand  ''I think'...AMUSING THAILAND

Maybe true. Here's another version, many folks in my Thai extended family insist the painted lines (solid, dotted or whatever), have no meaning at all in regard to laws, because there are no such laws, plus they believe the markings on the road are there because it makes the roads look professional. 

Edited by scorecard

Strange, but I never read about enraged Thais ranting about the numerous police checks that target foreigners for no helmets, wearing flip flops, no nets in cargo bays etc.  whilst letting Thai locals drive straight through.

About time the shoe was on the other foot. Thai drivers all think road rules do not apply to them. I doubt the police would be as dumb as to set up a sting like this without being sure of a conviction. Lane discipline here, as has already been pointed out by other posters, is a complete anathema to Thai drivers. 

Just now, AhFarangJa said:

Strange, but I never read about enraged Thais ranting about the numerous police checks that target foreigners for no helmets, wearing flip flops, no nets in cargo bays etc.  whilst letting Thai locals drive straight through.

Could it be because those kind of checkpoints only exist in your head?

Just now, janclaes47 said:

Could it be because those kind of checkpoints only exist in your head?

Absolutely not, has happened to me on numerous occasions. I have been stopped wearing helmet and proper attire, whilst several bikes with three Thais on are waved through. I was stopped at a checkpoint and told I was fined for not keeping my right indicator on whilst overtaking, when dozens of cars in front of me had been undertaking, speeding, lane hopping. I was fined 400 Baht for having a box of potatoes in the rear of the pick up without a cargo net. At the same time pick ups were driving through with 7 or 8 Thais in the back......I could go on, but my point was that Thais just do not like discipline, or rule of law.....They think they are above it.....

P.s. may I ask what exists in your head....:whistling:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Many said that if the authorities wanted to stop lane changing they should put in a barrier.

No you dipshits, that's what road markings are for - don't cross the solid line! If you do the police will fine you (it's called "enforcement" - I know you're not used to experiencing it, but better late than never). Barriers are there to help prevent serious accidents (commonly used to separate traffic flowing in opposite directions.)

8 hours ago, seajae said:

they need to teach them that when crossing the centre line on any road they must make sure that there are no cars on the other side, the amount of times these idiots simply cross to the other side of the road into oncoming traffic so they do not have to slow down or to avoid a puddle of water is unbelievable. Add to that that most dont even indicate and just swerve in front of you causing you to either have to swerve sharply to avoid them, hit the brake very hard or even have your side mirror smashed as they continue on ignorant of what they have done. These drivers need to learn what centre lines as well as other lines on the roads mean and obey them, its part of what causes many accidents, ignorance and their impatience are no excuse

Please... does anybody expect anything to be orderly or disciplined in LOS ? Every tourist, and Thais , take there life in their hands crossing a street or road  in Thailand. There is no reason for thinking the cars will not hit me ! Even if there IS a traffic light on red. Look at 2nd Road in Pattaya.... just to watch people dashing between cars is mind boggling. 

No, the only thing properly regulated in Thailand is the collection of fines, sadly.  

Edited by terryofcrete

As has been said, road markings should make it apparent and then we can go from there. Invisible red-lines certainly isn't what we need.The next step, getting drivers to understand what they mean and obey them, and there is a problem.

People complaining that the police are actually doing something surprises me, the reality is they are cutting corners, focused on making money and doing it sat on their <deleted> in-front of a console with their phone nearby. Camera technology should start with red-light jumpers.

Edited by jacko45k