visa debit card stolen & used in udon thani

pumpjack

lost visa debit card ,  my suitcase was delayed in delhi by air india then it arrived fews late to bangkok ,      then courier brought it to my hotel.   that was 6 days ago,  yesterday i just realised my bank cards were in a wallet in my suitcase and they were stolen, called my bank in uk and bank informs me that card was used in shops in udon thani to purchase some items like drink and food and clothes etc.    amount approx 45.000 baht

no one has my PIN number, it is impossible to use it so how can this be ?  

i am in bangkok so what do i need to do now ?

report card stolen to police ? 

will police even do anything ?

will my home bank in uk refund me ? 

i have worldwide travel insurance with nationwide bank

Why would they need your PIN to make purchase?  Most Visa cards allow signing for purchase (and here nobody checks beyond ink on paper) I believe.  Bangkok Bank new UnionPay cards do require input of PIN at point of sale so one positive point - very few places will accept for the negative side.

I hope if this is a normal occurance (packing wallet in checked baggage) you will learn it is not a very safe thing to do.

If I were you id report the cards stolen to the police your bank might need a police report before they refund anything.

The police won't do much unless you pay them but they can write a report for insurance or your home bank.

Its not sure you will get anything back.. depends on your bank and insurance.. 

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

i am in bangkok so what do i need to do now ?

report card stolen to police ? 

will police even do anything ?

will my home bank in uk refund me ?

Assuming that you have already officially reported the cards lost and/or stolen, follow the issuing bank procedures. The six day gap before the theft was discovered should not be an issue. However, they may decline a refund if their policy determines that you did not exercise caution by placing them in checked baggage.

If the bank or card company needs a police report, get one. Otherwise don't waste your time and instead, read up the terms and condition of your missing cards, especially your liabilities and see what the bank says.

FWIW, The chip-and-pin 'security' isn't applied 100% in Thailand and a whole lot of other countries as well. I have seen requests for customer PIN that came up on a POS machine being bypassed by the sales clerk. Similarly, in the many outlets that do want your PIN to complete a sale, they also ask you to sign the receipt that clearly says NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

3 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

No one in their right mind checks ATM Cards and valuables including 'cash' into checked luggage. 

Read and digest what he wrote." i just realised my bank cards were in a wallet in my suitcase and they were stolen ". Doesnt say he deliberately left them there.

21 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Read and digest what he wrote." i just realised my bank cards were in a wallet in my suitcase and they were stolen ". Doesnt say he deliberately left them there.

Deliberate or inadvertent - it was a serious mistake to do so.

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Assuming that you have already officially reported the cards lost and/or stolen, follow the issuing bank procedures. The six day gap before the theft was discovered should not be an issue. However, they may decline a refund if their policy determines that you did not exercise caution by placing them in checked baggage.

If the bank or card company needs a police report, get one. Otherwise don't waste your time and instead, read up the terms and condition of your missing cards, especially your liabilities and see what the bank says.

FWIW, The chip-and-pin 'security' isn't applied 100% in Thailand and a whole lot of other countries as well. I have seen requests for customer PIN that came up on a POS machine being bypassed by the sales clerk. Similarly, in the many outlets that do want your PIN to complete a sale, they also ask you to sign the receipt that clearly says NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

Before Bangkok Bank changed cards from VISA to Union, TOPS supermarket asked me to sign for each transaction.  Not once - ever - did they compare my signature against the one on my card.  I feel a bit happier now that a 6-figure PIN is required, but 50% of the time I'm told that the Union connection is broken, so I have to head out to an ATM.

When travelling, I keep my passport, tickets and cards in a travel wallet, and that's with me the whole time.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Deliberate or inadvertent - it was a serious mistake to do so.

If  he had been bashed over the head , stripped naked ;and robbed of everything on his person, ;putting it in his suit case would have been the smartest thing he could have done.  Ive heard of this happening thousands of times, my mates down the pub told me.

13 minutes ago, keithpa said:

If  he had been bashed over the head , stripped naked ;and robbed of everything on his person, ;putting it in his suit case would have been the smartest thing he could have done.  Ive heard of this happening thousands of times, my mates down the pub told me.

I suspect there would not have been a delay in reporting in an event like that - but good beer talk.:smile:

3 hours ago, SteveMack said:

Unless someone was an Alcoholic or Mentally Deranged,  Why would they put their credit cards in a Checked baggage, ( I always have them on my person ) AND ONLY Miss them 6 DAYS later, Sounds Iffy to me, P.S. Maybe a G/F  borrowed them. 

How many times do I have to tell you the facts, he didnt realize they were in his baggage. If you have comprehension problems, please cease and desist from your unfounded comments.

4 hours ago, keithpa said:

How many times do I have to tell you the facts, he didnt realize they were in his baggage. If you have comprehension problems, please cease and desist from your unfounded comments.

People always have excuses, how ridiculous is it to even say that he didn't realize.

Next time he will be smarter maybe.