Five women accuse actor James Franco of inappropriate or sexually exploitative behavior

webfact

Five women accuse actor James Franco of inappropriate or sexually exploitative behavior

By DANIEL MILLER and AMY KAUFMAN

nz_james_120118.jpg

Actor James Franco. PHOTO: REUTERS

It should have been a pure moment of triumph for James Franco. He collected one of Hollywood’s top prizes at the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday, validating an untraditional career in which he’s been a bankable leading man, Ivy League academic and eccentric auteur.

But as he stood on the ballroom stage, some were paying more attention to the Time’s Up pin on his lapel than the gold statue he picked up for his turn in “The Disaster Artist.”

It “was like a slap in my face,” said Sarah Tither-Kaplan, a former acting student at the film school Franco founded who went on to appear in several of his productions.

Full story: http://beta.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-james-franco-allegations-20180111-htmlstory.html

-- Los Angeles Times 2018-01-12

hadid.thumb.jpg.c2eb5dcf04aa2fab533aa1ac2a314a75.jpg5a58d8451dc8a_reddress.jpg.020db5ffcb12baa6e5f03fd915298536.jpgGiven the very explicitly sexual dresses many of those actresses wear on the red carpet , it seems they don't get the irony of them complaining about men acting in a sexual way towards them, which is not to say that I do not think it was wrong for men to exploit their power over women desperate to get into movies; it was very much wrong to do so.

In the 60s sex scenes were left to the imagination, so perhaps they can demand to go back to that and stop presenting themselves as available by doing unnecessary nude scenes and simulated sex, which is getting pretty realistic these days.

I certainly hope they are not going up to producers hotel rooms anymore, and taking a chaperone with them everywhere.

Photos from Google images.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Sexual harassment is something rotten when it occurs beyond doubt, no arguing on that.

However, assuming he did have sex with those fine ladies, is it proved that at the moment it occured,  they were not consentant and seeking to boost their careers ?

If so, why was nothing reported all these years, and suddenly with the long cited Weinstein effect,  all the fine virgins are comming out and finger pointing ?

Edited by observer90210

The Metoo mob should remember and take to heart the boy that cried wolf.

If it hasn't already started, the constant litany of "all men evil abusers" is going to backfire on them, as reasonable people will start to disregard everything they say.

Yes, some men are evil and do exploit the weak, but that happens in every aspect of life, and evil female exploiters as well. If the Metoo mob can't do better than bringing up accusations, they deserve to be ignored, especially when they have spokeswomen saying in public that they don't care if some innocent men are ruined by false accusations.

Having long time Weinstein associates like Streep jumping on the band wagon doesn't help their credibility either.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 hours ago, SABloke said:

“I feel there was an abuse of power, and there was a culture of exploiting non-celebrity women, and a culture of women being replaceable,” said Tither-Kaplan

One man does not a culture make...

She actually says she thought he could further her career so "gave in to him". Hmmm. Of course it couldn't be that she instigated things to advance her career, which didn't happen because of lack of talent and now sees a chance to try and get some money and attention? No of course not.

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

Good looking guy, very successful, I am left scratching my head. 

Exactly because he was good looking and successful. He would have had women throwing themselves at him all the time and eventually thought it was normal. I doubt any normal guy wouldn't be seduced by the lifestyle if they could get women without even trying.

I guess women started to change and he wasn't aware of that. The early James Bond films could never be made today, as they were so sexist.

Ask any famous musician what it was like with all the groupies dropping their knickers at the wink of an eye.

In some cases, they said they believed Franco could offer them career advancement, and acquiesced to his wishes even when they were uncomfortable.

Sounds like a quid pro quo, and she's miffed that she didn't get more out of the bargain.  If she were pulling in big bucks and starring roles she may not be as bothered about this.

It really hasn't been a secret that Hollywood is a "give head to get ahead" business, and most little girls (and boys) who go there to pursue a career learn this soon enough.  I'm not saying this is right, but that is the way the game is played.  Sometimes I see guys succeeding as actors and they don't seem particularly talented or pretty, and I think "that guy must be packing some serious meat."

After some years in the business Marilyn Monroe finally landed a studio contract.  Story is when she put the pen down she said "now I'll never have to eat another (word for male genitalia) ever again."  This story told by Norman Mailer.

Edited by bendejo