SURVEY: Should Trump be invited to Prince Harry's Wedding?

Scott

SURVEY: Should President Trump be invited to the Royal Wedding?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

There seems to be a lot of TVforum posters that don't like The Don. Why not give the guy a chance? He is still learning his trade. He needs a break from the constant negativity.

So is he an apprentice President?

22 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So is he an apprentice President?

He is new to the job. Being President of the US of A may well be a stressful post. More stressful than being married to a Thai woman even. Reagan mastered the film set and The Don has mastered Twitter and the television studio.

His second term will see him in a different light.

Has he put a foot wrong yet?

Edited by owl sees all

This is a private wedding, being held in one of Harry's gran's houses.  OK, it's a big house, but still private, so it's up to the couple who they invite.

Had it been a state occasion, the government would be involved and I think they would have had to invite the US president, whoever's rear end is currently in that seat.  Its the office that you invite, not the person.

IMO, if they want Obama and his main squeeze there, it should be up to them.

Oh, and calling Trump "The Donald" is offensive to The Donald, who is head of Clan Donald in Scotland - a title that's been in existence since long before Columbus sailed.

38 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There seems to be a lot of TVforum posters that don't like The Don. Why not give the guy a chance? He is still learning his trade. He needs a break from the constant negativity.

That kind of rationalization might have worked a year ago. He doesn't improve or learn. He gets worse.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That kind of rationalization might have worked a year ago. He doesn't improve or learn. He gets worse.

Improve!! On what?? So he has upset a few people, but so far he hasn't stooped to the lows of Bush, Obama, Johnson and others. Not yet anyhow! When he puts a foot wrong we will all know it Jt. If he does.

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I read the news, these 'surveys' are just to up the post count and the subjects are always so mundane.

If they are so mundane, why are you bothering to read it and respond?   

A royal wedding is a both a state and religious affair.   The young couple should not be forced to invite anyone.   

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I gave The Donald almost a year (maybe 8 months) -- then the steam started escaping from the pressure cooker -- Then the lid blew off the top about 2 weeks ago....  That is longer than I gave President Obama.  I did not like President Obama as President, and I don't like President Trump as both President and as a person.  President Bush made mistakes, but I find it difficult to dislike him.  I would love it if he decided to take a break to get away from the constant negativity.  I do think the medical exam not including a mental health checkup, testing for dementia is a severe oversight -- I just figured that being part of the checkup would be only natural.... but apparently it is not.  I would love to have both President Trump checked out and Nancy Pelosi -- since I think both of them need their heads examined.  The risk is that nothing would be found and people would assume that is good...

14 minutes ago, Credo said:

If they are so mundane, why are you bothering to read it and respond?   

A royal wedding is a both a state and religious affair.   The young couple should not be forced to invite anyone.   

Harry is 5th in line of succession, soon to be 6th.  Barring something really nasty happening to all those before him, he's never going to sit on the Stone.  This is not a state wedding. 

His brother was, and is, 2nd, that's quite a different thing.  His WAS a state wedding.

4 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Why would anyone in their right mind want to spoil this British royal wedding?

We don't want thousands of demonstrators on the streets on that day

One does not have to be a "trick cyclist" to work out he is not compos mentus...

7 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I prefer to show respect to the post (in this case the post of President) -- even if I despise the individual.  I will address them by their proper name (or title and name - but I will get lazy at times but not out of intentional disrespect -- at least I try not to).  If the person filling that post prefers or likes to use a more "common" name - then that is up to him to make it acceptable.  Using names that are only meant to disparage (in a name calling type of way) is immature and only lessens the point of view you are trying to make.  (IMHO)

While I would normally agree; I cannot when discussing Dotard Don. You talk of respect; I have always felt a person needed to show respect to earn respect--I see little respect for anyone from Dotard Don. You speak of the childishness involved in "name calling," you have to remember, we are talking about someone whose mannerisms are perhaps less despicable if you think of them as sourced in childishness.

Just now, smotherb said:

While I would normally agree; I cannot when discussing Dotard Don. You talk of respect; I have always felt a person needed to show respect to earn respect--I see little respect for anyone from Dotard Don. You speak of the childishness involved in "name calling," you have to remember, we are talking about someone whose mannerisms are perhaps less despicable if you think of them as sourced in childishness.

I agree. trump as a man deserves no respect. The office of the president does deserve respect of course but trump has dragged the office down in the gutter so low it's unclear if it will ever recover it's previous dignity. 

27 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Harry is 5th in line of succession, soon to be 6th.  Barring something really nasty happening to all those before him, he's never going to sit on the Stone.  This is not a state wedding. 

His brother was, and is, 2nd, that's quite a different thing.  His WAS a state wedding.

No it was not a full state wedding, there were many heads of state or there representatives who attended the service at Westminster Abbey but it was only a "semi state" wedding.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/nov/24/royal-wedding-semi-state-occasion

Most of the costs of the wedding were paid for by Prince Charles. 

The majority of the bill was footed by Prince Charles from the Duchy of Cornwall. However, the UK taxpayer did cover costs of security and transport. Those costs came to about £7m altogether.

https://www.verdict.co.uk/much-will-royal-wedding-cost-paying/

Edited by Basil B

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

No it was not a full state wedding, there were many heads of state or there representatives who attended the service at Westminster Abbey but it was only a "semi state" wedding.

I'm in my 60's, a semi counts these days!

OK, humour aside, thanks for the correction.  I got the day off from work, that made it official for me.  :smile:

15 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Not being a UK taxpayer - it does not matter to me.  Even if I were -- my guess is that the Royal Family - pomp and ceremony etc - is worth more to the UK economy than they cost ... just a small uptick in tourism attributed to the Royal family, the palaces, etc. brings in substantial taxes and it would not take much to offset the cost.   [As a Canadian though, I am more of a republican -- but would not make changes until the Queen passed away out of respect; especially if Prince Charles ascended to the throne]

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Not being a UK taxpayer - it does not matter to me.  Even if I were -- my guess is that the Royal Family - pomp and ceremony etc - is worth more to the UK economy than they cost ... just a small uptick in tourism attributed to the Royal family, the palaces, etc. brings in substantial taxes and it would not take much to offset the cost.   [As a Canadian though, I am more of a republican -- but would not make changes until the Queen passed away out of respect; especially if Prince Charles ascended to the throne]

For an investment of less than £7 million by the British tax payer 

Considering that Meghan Markle is a US citizen herself and will most likely attract further interest from audiences in the USA so that could be even higher. Tourists spend, on average, £600 each per visit to the UK. So that’s an additional £480m in tourism alone. Plus, as it’ll be the last spring before Brexit, perhaps more tourists will flock to the UK for ‘one last trip’ before immigration gets tighter.

So a 6850% ROI is good going...

Trump would be going around to all the guests saying variations of.....

"What city are you from?  Do I have a Trump Tower there?  No? Well, here are Ivanka's and Don Jr's business cards. Call them.  You'll love to have a Trump Tower in your city, believe me.  It's the greatest.  Everybody will love it, as everybody loves me.  Where's Putin?  Has anyone seen Putin?  I want to go up and whisper sweet nothings in his ear.  If he's not here, then what about some other very rich Russian, .....or a very rich Arab?   Rich people are the only people I care to be around."

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Tourists spend, on average, £600 each per visit to the UK. So that’s an additional £480m in tourism alone. Plus, as it’ll be the last spring before Brexit, perhaps more tourists will flock to the UK for ‘one last trip’ before immigration gets tighter.

WOW, even in a country like Thailand, where everything is considerably cheaper, the average Chinese tourist spends double that per visit and we know they stay only a week.

19 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

' Egos, fragile or otherwise, do not come into it.'

Beg to differ. Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but to Donny John, EVERYTHING is about ego.

Beg away by all means, but maybe you haven't noticed that this is a hypothetical situation that does not involve anyone, or anyone's perceived, ego.

18 hours ago, owl sees all said:

He's had a year.  One of the arguments against Trump was that he was unqualified for the job.  He's spent his first year showing that he is unqualified and uninterested in learning the job.

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Improve!! On what?? So he has upset a few people, but so far he hasn't stooped to the lows of Bush, Obama, Johnson and others. Not yet anyhow! When he puts a foot wrong we will all know it Jt. If he does.

You think he's upset only a few people?  You don't keep up on the news, do you?

The best thing that can be said about Trump is that he has not done most of what he promised.  Rather than attempt to summarize, I'll just point out that he promised that under him the US would do so much winning that we'd get sick of it.  The only 'wins' I'm aware of are a regressive Supreme Court justice, a tax cut that benefits the rich and drives up the deficit, and elimination of regulations enacted to prevent another financial meltdown, Deep Sea Horizon type oil spill, poison in the air and water, etc.

As far as getting started on "wins", take not that "the great dealmaker" has only cancelled agreed upon deals.  He has not made a serious effort at initiating any new deals of note.

I take it you don't consider insulting allies, cozying up to dictators, referring to impoverished countries as "shitholes", giving the greenlight to human rights abuses, abandoning US interests in Asia to allow China to dominate, referring to Nazi's and fascists as "good people" and many other such actions as low. 

I'm curious, what did Obama do that you considered low? 

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:04 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

I she paying for the wedding?  Is Donald Trump a family friend?  The only reason (IMHO) for Donald Trump to be invited is as a matter of state. Royalty has no standing in the United States, so no obligation to invite.  His invite would only be for diplomatic reasons - and given Trumps lack of being able to be diplomatic... screw him, United Kingdom and the Royal family first (using his normal diplomatic language).

I see thing similarly to you, but then arrive at a different conclusion.

I assume that the bulk of costs will be paid by the UK taxpayer. Therefore the UK government has a say in the event - and diplomatic protocol should be followed. Whether he should attend is another matter, but I think that it would be a slight against the US if the POTUS was not invited.