Sakon Nakhon natives burn fires to fight the cold

rooster59

Sakon Nakhon natives burn fires to fight the cold

By Taweep Srisuchart 
The Nation

1d07514a5abbd8675375764a1a39e5a6.jpeg

Cold weather continued in the northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon this weekend, making warm clothes and gloves a new norm.

On Sunday morning, the Mercury hovered at around 13 degrees Celsius in Sakon Nakhon town. On the Phu Phan mountain, it was much lower at 9-10 degrees Celsius. Some locals found the weather so cold that they huddled around fires in the pre-dawn hours. 

Vendors selling second-hand warm clothes reported brisk sales. 

A local weather bureau said the temperature in Sakon Nakhon will get a bit warmer in the coming week, but the chill will continue with the mercury expected to hover between 16 and 18 degrees Celsius.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336214

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-14

7 hours ago, DNPBC0 said:

'Natives'?

I was born and raised in Hammersmith, London, therefore I am a native of London, how can you have a problem with that ? 

Perhaps to you native means someone in a grass skirt with a bone through the nose, tsk tsk, bad person. 

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I was born and raised in Hammersmith, London, therefore I am a native of London, how can you have a problem with that ? 

Perhaps to you native means someone in a grass skirt with a bone through the nose, tsk tsk, bad person. 

Haven't these "natives" ever heard of electric fan heaters? Hard to buy here maybe, but delivered to your door (or grass shack!) by the usual mail order shopping outlets.

7 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Haven't these "natives" ever heard of electric fan heaters? Hard to buy here maybe, but delivered to your door (or grass shack!) by the usual mail order shopping outlets.

How many grass-shacks do you know with a 220v power supply ? 

How many 'natives' or poorer areas would have credit cards or are able to order something online ?

Its just a dash easier to have a fire for the day or two it gets too cold.... 

On 1/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

How many grass-shacks do you know with a 220v power supply ? 

How many 'natives' or poorer areas would have credit cards or are able to order something online ?

Its just a dash easier to have a fire for the day or two it gets too cold.... 

Got some warming news for you, Richard. Whether they live in grass shacks or not (I was, of course, jesting) 98.5 per cent of rural folk in Thailand have electricity - a far higher ratio, incidentally, than across most of south-east Asia.  And you don't necessarily need a credit card to stuff online. I buy a lot of stuff COD.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Got some warming news for you, Richard. Whether they live in grass shacks or not (I was, of course, jesting) 98.5 per cent of rural folk in Thailand have electricity - a far higher ratio, incidentally, than across most of south-east Asia.  And you don't necessarily need a credit card to stuff online. I buy a lot of stuff COD.

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet we also have electricity. The only place I can thik of out her is at Chong Yen which is at the end of the road at the Mae Wong national park about 30km from the national park office.

It is about 1,000m AMSL and it does get cold in the winter. It is busy at the weekends with tourists and bikers but it does have solar power though the lights are generally swiched off around midnight. A great place for stargazing at night and birdwatching during the day.

It is pretty much unspoilt and the nearest shop is 30km down the mountain and the nearest proper gas station is 50km away.

You bring whatever you need and leave behind only your footprints. All rubbish MUST be taken with you.

47 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet we also have electricity. The only place I can thik of out her is at Chong Yen which is at the end of the road at the Mae Wong national park about 30km from the national park office.

It is about 1,000m AMSL and it does get cold in the winter. It is busy at the weekends with tourists and bikers but it does have solar power though the lights are generally swiched off around midnight. A great place for stargazing at night and birdwatching during the day.

It is pretty much unspoilt and the nearest shop is 30km down the mountain and the nearest proper gas station is 50km away.

You bring whatever you need and leave behind only your footprints. All rubbish MUST be taken with you.

Sounds like a slice of paradise. Enjoy!

6 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Sounds like a slice of paradise. Enjoy!

I do.

The bad thing around here is that my Thai son who is 13 and in M1 will be leaving us when he finishes M6 at 18 as there are really no decent jobs around here for him when he leaves school.

It is fine for his Mum and I but not for him or any 18 year old who wants to make his own way in life.

Archived