we have created a generation of zombies

opalred

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

All of my employees are required to carry and use a smartphone as it's how we communicate with them on a minute to minute basis and send information back and forth.  It has improved our productivity and accuracy 100%

In a climate of hyper productivity and accuracy, do we create an atmosphere in which humans flourish ? I know fierce competition and a global market encourage these; but what is the "end game".

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, mick220675 said:

They are communicating in groups via there tablets/phones. Its just a different way of interacting with one and other.

My farther told me his generation were called a wast of space by his farther when he went to see Cliff Richard. I remember my farther calling my friends drop outs because they had long hair. Its just the way it is, kids now are not a wasted generation they just have different interests.

I wish I could use technology as well as the young. I also wish I had long hair.

I bet you wish you could spell father as well!

4 hours ago, welovethailand said:

Only thing SMART thing about these items, is their ability to track you and TELL you what to think.  This is where "Brainless" generation comes from-they don't think, they are told what to think.

This well orchstrated take over of the minds began to promote governments propaganda. Tv, newspapers, computers, phones..then combining phones into computers.

Next great thing to come? Put the computer into your brain.

Sorry, thats already here......

I was having a fight with a billion dollar multinational corporation in America and a billion dollar multinational corporation in Thailand and a store manager of the Thai company at the mall.  I got the VP of International Sales in America involved who called the his buddy in Bangkok at the Thai company and we worked out the problem.  Have you ever seen a Thai store manager shrink 3 feet right in front of your eyes?  I told the store manager I'm old, I'm persistent and I have the time you are never going to win an argument with me.  They gave me a cash refund.  5000 baht.  I thought the whole store would cry right there.  You'd think I stole food out of their mouths. 

5 minutes ago, cmsally said:

In a climate of hyper productivity and accuracy, do we create an atmosphere in which humans flourish ? I know fierce competition and a global market encourage these; but what is the "end game".

To be smarter than AI robots.  To do that we have to educate the kids how to use IT as part of everyday life.  Kids need more and more information and the best way to supply that is in a small easily accessible form such as a smart phone. I race sailboats and with the information we have now at our fingertips racing is 100% safer than it used to be when I was a kid.  It is an example of how technology improves an age old sport.  I won't run into the reef in bad weather because my smart phone (waterproof) tells me exactly where I am.

Edited by amvet

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Why the hell do you come here why not stay back home.. can also apply to food.. and guess what a lot of expats still eat their food from back home.

People get older its a generation thing.. I don't see a problem with phones at all it just the next step in information technology. So far technology has made our life better it. 

Well do miss the food at  home, would love a plate of boerenkool met worst en jus.

But i don't miss this: https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1550735/delen-van-nederland-kleuren-wit-oppassen-geblazen

I'm certainly not against smart phones or technology. When I was working auto claims- I could get a customer to take a pic of their damage- send it via their smart phone to me- get the damage estimated in an hour and have a  payment direct deposited into their bank account the next day.

In addition- you can now take a pic of a check -send the pic via smart phone to your bank account and have it cleared within a day.

The practical uses are fine- it's the constant usage and the mind set I must be in touch with someone 24/7 that I do not care for whether for work or pleasure.

However, i draw the line at cars that drive themselves-  they want to take away all things that I like to do myself.

I was down at first on  lifelike robo partners until I found out they can be programmed to keep quiet. If only something like that was available on my ex wives I would have probably saved a lot of money.

idiots.png.caaca49577a622e14cccce5097def9cf.png&key=35e317182058edf080c07ddad3ced7bb8e83eddb24f8c9ed979c1db66ddcc8d5

It has started already..

He could never have imagined the technology he speaks of could have gone so far, but what vision!!

The interesting thing about technology advances is that it's just starting, regardless of whether you're 1 or 100. What is yet to come will be unbelievable.

The 'good old times' don't exist.....life is going to get better and better.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

45 minutes ago, amvet said:

You only have to say, "hey Google" and you control your phone from the headset.  No need to be looking at it.  Everything can be read to you and you can call or send messages from the headset.

<snip>

So all those people who have been hit by cars while staring at their smart phone were only doing text messages and not watching videos or pictures on Instagram?

21 hours ago, amvet said:

I just posted it in another thread.  You are hopelessly out of date.  There are 177 million users primarily in South East Asia that are making money on line with two new free apps.  And there are many more new opportunities on smart phones that the young people are taking advantage of that you don't have a clue about.  

Don't know, don't care. Humans are indeed becoming a bunch of zombies.

I was on the bus today with 2 Chinese going to the airport. Faces in the machines, no interest in Thailand or indeed anything else.

Waste of jet fuel bringing them here.

25 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So all those people who have been hit by cars while staring at their smart phone were only doing text messages and not watching videos or pictures on Instagram?

They were stupid.  Darwin's law.  If not a smartphone they might have been staring at a squirrel.  I listen to videos but only the sound until I can get to a place to watch.  BTW you can't really see them in well the daytime so I think you may not have your information correct.  One needs to go inside to watch them correctly. 

36 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I'm certainly not against smart phones or technology. When I was working auto claims- I could get a customer to take a pic of their damage- send it via their smart phone to me- get the damage estimated in an hour and have a  payment direct deposited into their bank account the next day.

In addition- you can now take a pic of a check -send the pic via smart phone to your bank account and have it cleared within a day.

The practical uses are fine- it's the constant usage and the mind set I must be in touch with someone 24/7 that I do not care for whether for work or pleasure.

However, i draw the line at cars that drive themselves-  they want to take away all things that I like to do myself.

I was down at first on  lifelike robo partners until I found out they can be programmed to keep quiet. If only something like that was available on my ex wives I would have probably saved a lot of money.

Probably the only decent invention to come out of the computer revolution. Certainly the best. Just sad they are coming too late to save me from the real thing.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't know, don't care. Humans are indeed becoming a bunch of zombies.

I was on the bus today with 2 Chinese going to the airport. Faces in the machines, no interest in Thailand or indeed anything else.

Waste of jet fuel bringing them here.

Maybe they were working on a deal to prevent N.Korea from starting a nuclear war.  You can only surmise and extend your prejudices against modernity to everything not old fashioned.  

4 minutes ago, amvet said:

They were stupid.  Darwin's law.  If not a smartphone they might have been staring at a squirrel.  I listen to videos but only the sound until I can get to a place to watch.  BTW you can't really see them in well the daytime so I think you may not have your information correct.  One needs to go inside to watch them correctly. 

Well I'm sure on your smart phone you can get the contact of the Seoul Metropolitan Government who put up those signs and tell them no need to advise stupid people especially since they are roughly in the same time zone as Thailand as opposed to the 12-15 hour time difference when someone might need to contact someone in the USA.

6 hours ago, SunsetT said:

. Just his week addiction to gaming was officially declared a 'disease' by the World Health Organisation. I believe it will only be a matter of time before social media like 'Facebook' addiction also becomes recognised as a disease. It is designed so that everyone gets an  addictive 'buzz' when someone 'likes' our comment or share, so they become addicted to checking their notifications and compelled to post more and more.

Actually, one of Facebook cofounders recently admitted this, saying that he was terrified by what he had done!

11 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Well I'm sure on your smart phone you can get the contact of the Seoul Metropolitan Government who put up those signs and tell them no need to advise stupid people especially since they are roughly in the same time zone as Thailand as opposed to the 12-15 hour time difference when someone might need to contact someone in the USA.

Would have you told Henry Ford to stop production on a car everyone could afford because some folks had accidents?  Same reasoning.

10 minutes ago, amvet said:

Would have you told Henry Ford to stop production on a car everyone could afford because some folks had accidents?  Same reasoning.

All I did was show a picture of a sign that the Seoul Metro Government put up after registering over 1100 smart phone related traffic accidents in 2014. 

That doesn't mean that the persons who might need to see the sign will actually see it as they are looking at their smart phones.

Edited by JLCrab

If technology is so wonderful, why is the world in such a mess?

Thanks to technology, we can cut down tropical forests much faster, we can create giant floatsam islands in the middle of the oceans, we can totally deplete the soils while poisoning the waters and the atmosphere, we can kill 12 million and injure countless more in traffic accidents every year, we can drop remote controlled missiles on wedding parties thousands of kilometers away, we can destroy millions of jobs and have 40 to 50% unemployment rates among the youth, we can create "fake" money and use it to manipulate financial markets, inflating massive bubbles in the process, we can finance all this orgy of "progress" by building mountains of debt that we will let our children and grandchildren to deal with!

As if that was not enough, our new ways of communicating are indeed rewiring our brains, unfortunately not for the better (see The Shallows by Nicholas Carr).

For example, dispensing with spelling and grammar is sending us back to the ages, centuries ago, where such things barely existed.

But of course, a few happy fellows can enjoy "progress" with their 500 usd Apple smartphone while sitting on a beach, and after all that is what really matters.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

It doesn't matter what generation you are from- if you are working while in a taxi-walking on the street or sitting in a park- I feel sorry for you- life is way too short to tie up every bit of your hours glued to a device of some type.  You may not  realize it but at some point you will be of an age when you start to question what value you time is because time becomes shorter and other things become more important.  If I want to keep up with friends and family- I call them- I refuse to become a member of the impersonal generation.  Up to you - but I don't need it.

I have over 1200 people I have known for between 1 year and over 40 years that I consider friends.   Most of them don't live in Thailand.   Calling them to would be impossible.  Aside from which I'd only be able to speak to them, not see the amazing meal they had last night, or the cool people and places they had been at since out last chat.   

It's not the impersonal generation, it's the keep in touch with everyone you've ever considered a friend rather than losing touch with them when you or they move to another country.

1 hour ago, amvet said:

My TV just got Google assistant so I can talk to the TV in the same manner that I talk to my smartphone.  I use a stylus and my screen is almost 7 inches.  It is easy to enlarge any parts of the screen to make it easy to work with.  I have a big phone but most of the time it is in it's holster as my headset does all the work while I look at the interesting surroundings.  

note8.jpg

I have a Xiaomi Mi Max phone with a 6.44 inch screen.   I wish it was a bit bigger but it was the largest I could find that was also a decent phone, within budget and available in Bangkok.  

pffft...

true, it has its advantages to carry around a 150gr. minicomputer with a fast data connection, especially when you run your own small business. Unfortunately, most people have not realized that, just because you can spread your opinions and food pictures to all the world 24/7 does not mean you have to.

Honestly... around 95% of what you find on facebook, Line, etc. is irrelevant trifle (I'm being generous here..), and much of the rest might be more convenient if found on a quality website or a well worded E-mail. And it does have an affect on people. I find it hard to communicate with the kind of people who belive being always on and getting lots of attention is its own benefit. There are too much interesting things going on to waste time on what people ate three minutes ago or what music they are listening to...

25 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I have over 1200 people I have known for between 1 year and over 40 years that

I consider friends.   
It's not the impersonal generation, it's the keep in touch with everyone you've ever

considered a friend

It all depends on how one defines "friend".

Personally, I can hardly call a "friend" someone I have never met face to face, not even knowing his or her real name, or anything else for that matter.

I prefer to call them "virtual friends" which is a specific category of acquaintances.

For more on that, I strongly recommend the very good book Ready Player One...

22 hours ago, amvet said:

I just posted it in another thread.  You are hopelessly out of date.  There are 177 million users primarily in South East Asia that are making money on line with two new free apps.  And there are many more new opportunities on smart phones that the young people are taking advantage of that you don't have a clue about.  

Which apps are these?

44 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Which apps are these?

I'll give you a hint.  Both apps pay you to let millions of people who you don't know watch you take a shower in the morning.  They have 200 million users mostly young people in South East Asia.  Those referred to in this thread as Zombies. 

55 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

It all depends on how one defines "friend".

Personally, I can hardly call a "friend" someone I have never met face to face, not even knowing his or her real name, or anything else for that matter.

I prefer to call them "virtual friends" which is a specific category of acquaintances.

For more on that, I strongly recommend the very good book Ready Player One...

Every single person I call a friend is someone I either went to school with, worked with or have know personally for over 10 years.   

I wouldn't call someone I interact with online a friend, neither would I add them as a friend.  I might interact with them in online groups but they aren't friends (although if I met them in real life and we got on in person they could become a proper friend).

In Bangkok I only have a small group of around 50 friends, the rest of them are mostly back home in Hong Kong or scattered around the world.

2 hours ago, amvet said:

Both apps pay you to let millions of people who you don't know watch you take a shower in the morning.  They have 200 million users mostly young people in South East Asia.  

If true, I would react with only one word: appalling!

And instead of "zombie" , I would rather use "peeping Tom".

Thank God for progress...

31 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

If true, I would react with only one word: appalling!

And instead of "zombie" , I would rather use "peeping Tom".

Thank God for progress...

That is the danger of trying to answer a question on Thai Visa.  First, it gets misunderstood and then somehow gets turned into a Western moral issue.  I don't think it is "peeping tom" when people get paid for other people watching them.

Ballet dancers do it with tu tu's on.  Go go girls do it with less on.  Same online.  Peeping tom's sneak around and look at people without their permission and don't pay them. 

Brunolem you have pushed me over the edge.  Let this be my notice to all who are interested in reading this.  I will no longer answer any questions about where to get the good stuff in Thailand.  You all can find it yourself. 

Edited by amvet