Dual pricing: What happened when a Thai was charged the ‘farang price’

snoop1130

Hi! After being charged farang price many times I am thoroughly sick of it, especially when  it is government sanctioned. Thais can go to most western countries and not have to pay over inflated prices for goods and services. I am not married, have lived here for a fair length of time, I have got a thai driving licence but no matter how long I stay here I will always be looked at as an opportunity to make some more money than is waranted.

If I was not so embeded in this country I would seriously consider packing my bags.!!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Borzandy said:

I prefer paying 30 Baht more than to have a wife with balls.

Figure of speaking, when wife decides something is not right or is being ripped off, then she has balls, i.e. won;t allow anyone to get away with it, with me, NEVER has shown me her balls 555, she's a pussy 555

I hear what you are saying, I really do.  I just don't, honestly, see what the big deal is paying more to live here.  It is still cheaper than most of our home countries.  Paying 20 Baht for a bottle of water doesn't seem excessive to me.  Now, what bothers me is if you are a regular at that store the owner clearly didn't see the bigger picture of keeping you as a customer. 

I think most Thais think of the here and now profit and not the future.

It is amazing how people keep comparing Thailand with their own countries.

Yes Thailand is cheaper than my own country, but I earned 15 times more there than I do here. And that was over 20 years ago. I am on a Thai government university salary here. So it is pointless comparing prices.

Thailand is expensive compared .with Nepal.

Now someone will say "If you don't like it, go back to your own country."

I have family here, so as far as I am concerned this is now my country.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Just hang on a minute we talking about double pricing here not of the cost, so you saying

Thais should pay $520 when in Australia ? If you agree to that than I agree to double

pricing in Thailand

Of course not. I was not implying that. If anything, I was implying that there was no room for double pricing in Australia, with prices already being sky high. But, double pricing is repugnant. No matter where. And anyone being charged 150 baht on the street for a plate of mediocre, lifeless food, should just say no!

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course not. I was not implying that. If anything, I was implying that there was no room for double pricing in Australia, with prices already being sky high. But, double pricing is repugnant. No matter where. And anyone being charged 150 baht on the street for a plate of mediocre, lifeless food, should just say no!

Just to add to this topic I had a business in Thailand which required me to buy paint on a regular bases

normally my wife would buy it for me she paid 760 baht for a 4 litre container but when my wife was

not available one time and I had to buy it myself I was charged 1700baht so you think this is fair ? 

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Shame shame shame, I never pay more than 30 baht as a farang to eat the same stuff from a street food vendor, my wife makes sure of that before she orders, good to have a wife with balls when it comes to the old mighty baht and dual pricing...lol

Let's hope they don't give you extra sauce from their special pee-pee bottle under the counter.  Or even from the spittoon bottle.  Thai's will never lose face as you all know.  Anyone who has worked in a commercial kitchen will be aware of the many ways the chef will serve up an order to a bolshie customer.

21 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

so you think this is fair ? 

i bet everyone here sympathizes and likely has their own versions;

forget not this is a third world country, filled with third world thinking;

western 'fairness' might intersect on occasion with a global, a human morality ,

yet the moral road here has a lot of side sois that are far from fair

2 minutes ago, wabothai said:

how do you know?

That's a fair point.  We used to shop in a local market to where we lived in Chiang mai and my wife always chose the food and paid.  I knew I would have paid more if I went on my own.  One day my wife sent our housekeeper to the same market and same stall holder to buy the mushrooms we always bought there.  The housekeeper came back and had paid about twenty percent less than my wife is charged.  Obviously my wife challenged the stall holder the next day.  The reply was immediate and understandable. "You have farang husband so you pay more".  After that my wife shopped elsewhere and I was never invited to join her!

However this isn't a Thai thing at all.  For many years stall holders would charge according to what they thought the customer would pay.  When I was a student I worked for an antique dealer on Portabello Road in London.  Nothing was priced and my boss always said "there are trade prices, retail prices and tourist prices" and we charged accordingly.  It's still the same there today.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Dual pricing seems to be an issue down south. Apart from national parks such as Doi Inthanon, I've never experienced dual pricing in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. It's not all that hard - ask the price first. If it's too high, mai ow.

you haven't been around long enough

4 hours ago, Jools said:

I realize that I am in the minority, but as long as the amount is fair, I don't mind paying a bit more for some goods and services. I do make more money than the average Thai. As long as the amount is reasonable, I never gripe. My girlfriend is much more militant, though. She simply will nail a vendor to the wall for overcharging me. :shock1:

Isn't the fair and reasonable price the same they charge their fellow Thais?

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Let's hope they don't give you extra sauce from their special pee-pee bottle under the counter.  Or even from the spittoon bottle.  Thai's will never lose face as you all know.  Anyone who has worked in a commercial kitchen will be aware of the many ways the chef will serve up an order to a bolshie customer.

or a Tosser

5 hours ago, flyfrog said:

You think England or other Europe (soon to be Arab) countries are better. Good luck I love it here already 28 years

If you have lived in Thailand for 28 years I doubt you have any idea of what it is like to live in England or anywhere else in Europe.  You may visit sometimes and I am sure all your pals back home will have an opinion but with comments like "soon to be Arab" you clearly haven't a clue.

I lived in Thailand for nearly 14 years and now I have moved back to the UK for a few years.  Thailand certainly isn't as it was when I moved there and Britain certainly isn't as it was before I left.  Everything and everybody moves on and I am pleased that you are happy where you are now.  It is right for you and that is great but it isn't right for me and mine anymore.

I wonder how if the Thai folks that do manage to visit say UK ,and upon entering a London museum would be charged while all other nationalities get to go in free?

You can accept paying extra if you are a tourist maybe in tourist area, but to look at someone and charge you more because of your race is racist. Same with food stalls and shops.

Ok, maybe its' their right to do so, but they need to be told how welcoming it is not.

The government is looking into the overcharging and ripping off of tourists. Would that be the same government that does the very same thing at National parks and other sites it operates by overcharging by 1000%. I won’t hold my breath while I wait for things to change.

18 minutes ago, Slain said:

Because there is a problem

The idea is to tell folks your opinion

There is no problem for him, he said he was glad to have left Thailand .

It just seems strange to me to comment about a place you no longer live in and don't care for.

Perhaps he's still hankering after Thailand and is secretely hoping for a reunion. 

That would not be difficult.

All he has to do is learn to read and speak Thai and he will never face double pricing in a restaurant again.

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Shame shame shame, I never pay more than 30 baht as a farang to eat the same stuff from a street food vendor, my wife makes sure of that before she orders, good to have a wife with balls when it comes to the old mighty baht and dual pricing...lol

try that if you visit Wat Prah Keo or some National Park were Foreigners pay 10X the Thai price. the Government gives a good example the  cheat and not even feel bad about

34 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

But the memories are there? 

My memories of Thailand are overwhelmingly good.  I really enjoyed my time there and once you get used to living there rather than being a visitor (and with the help of a good Thai wife) it can be a great place to be.  I did spend a while being bitter and twisted about certain aspects, especially the tendency for everyone to lie all the time and the corruption but hey! It is their country and I was the immigrant.  I still visit a couple of times a year and my wife spends a couple of months there a year with relatives.  I don't hate it at all but wouldn't move back there because it doesn't work for me anymore.

21 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

By that logic  Thais who drive Ferraris and wear Rolex Daytona watches should pay more then too.

Why  are they not fleeced also?

Nothing to do with being rich we are farang they don’t give a toss about us. Why do you think you have young women with old men cause all they want is your value, you can’t die soon enough for them.

There used to be a farang run bar/eatery near where I lived when I was in Bangkok.  It was frequented  mainly by farang teachers.  However when Thais came in unaccompanied by a farang they were shown a different menu showing prices 2 to 3 times higher than that on the wall.  It was amazing to see the major uproars when people were told they had to pay more because they were Thai!!