Thailand suggests slower bullet train amid high cost estimate

webfact

Thailand suggests slower bullet train amid high cost estimate

Proposal could lead to concessions from Japan or project's demise

HIROSHI KOTANI, Nikkei staff writer

BANGKOK -- A project to build a high-speed railway in Thailand based on Japan's shinkansen technology has taken an unexpected turn, with the Southeast Asian country considering a significant downgrade to cut costs.

Not so fast

"The 670km Thai-Japanese high-speed train project stretching from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is to have its maximum speed lowered to reduce the overall cost of the project," the English-language Bangkok Post wrote Dec. 27.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who leads the country's junta, instructed transport officials to consider reducing the top speed from 300kph to between 180kph and 200kph. The development came less than two weeks after a report by Japan calculated the project's cost at 420 billion baht ($13.1 billion), a sum Bangkok deems too high.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/Thailand-suggests-slower-bullet-train-amid-high-cost-estimate

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2018-01-18

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It defeats the point really having a fast train service go slower. Then again it is pointless having a BTS system that has so few carriages that there are so big queues, that using public transport to reduce road traffic congestion, is worthless. Must be another 'Thainess' concept I haven't got my head round, even after 17 years living here full time.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It defeats the point really having a fast train service go slower. Then again it is pointless having a BTS system that has so few carriages that there are so big queues, that using public transport to reduce road traffic congestion, is worthless. Must be another 'Thainess' concept I haven't got my head round, even after 17 years living here full time.

Submarine2.jpg.c55acd654a53534ad7c10b333f665e23.jpg

The speed doesn't really make much difference to the price most tracks even metros have tolerances similar to high speed.Still the same viaducts, tunnels and land formation. Unless they are going for wooden sleeper and ballast,. But then again it was all probably bullshit from the start

Edited by Dave67

12 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The speed doesn't really make much difference to the price most tracks even metros have tolerances similar to high speed.Still the same viaducts, tunnels and land formation. Unless they are going for wooden sleeper and ballast,. But then again it was all probably bullshit from the start

Can someone remind me I Recall High speed bullshit express Line 1 was China to Lam Chabang,  Is this one part of High speed bullshit express line 2 or 3 ?

What is expensive tomorrow will be considered cheap next year or in the future as costs always going up....

Of course there is a strong opposition anyway from insiders and certain business tycoons who stand to lose out should that HST

Materialises?

The speed of the train was never going to be 300kph as claimed in this story. It was always intended to be 250kph so a drop of around 50kph is not so big deal. Poor reporting.

So here they are debating how fast it will go and how much will they spend only weeks before they promised construction would begin next month. Typical military style bungling governance.

So can it be expected the same will apply to the Chinese fast train line through to Nong Khai? Presumably the budgets for both have been revised downward because of other financial pressures. 

IMHO the chances of these high speed trains ever happening is almost nil. This military junta seems to have trouble making even the most simplest things happen including holding an election and clearing footpaths.