Voters prefer MP over ‘outsider’ as PM: survey

rooster59

Voters prefer MP over ‘outsider’ as PM: survey

By The Nation

142677c67474c59430d8dcc04b92fd0c.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha sees popularity rating drop in recent opinion survey.

Most Thai voters prefer an MP to become the next prime minister rather than an “outsider”, an opinion survey has found. The survey was been carried out by Bangkok University among 1,114 voters nationwide.

The university announced on Saturday that 70.6 per cent of the respondents thought the prime minister should be selected from among elected MPs, while 29.4 per cent said the prime minister could be an outsider.

The survey comes amid growing speculation that Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, the chief of the National Council for Peace and Order, would seek to remain PM after the election as an “outsider” selected by MPs and Senators after the election. The new constitution allows a non-MP to become the prime minister during a five-year transitional period after the military junta’s control ends with an election.

Asked whether they would vote for Prayut to become the prime minister if the election were held today, 36.8 per cent of the respondents said “Yes”, while 34.8 per cent said “No” and the rest said they had no comment.

In May 2017, the university’s survey found that 52.8 per cent of the respondents said they would vote for Prayut as the prime minister.

Prayut recently said Thailand was going to have “Thai-style” democracy after the next election.

Asked what they think about Thai-style democracy, 29.1 per cent of the respondents said it would cause no change to Thai politics, while 27.9 per cent said it would lead to semi-military government politics and 22.5 per cent said it would prompt Thailand to have unity.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30336739

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-21

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

These polls have to be made up or rigged. Certain popularity of certain group or person(s) is too favorable. 

Maybe, but I am sure the junta does not want to hear that an outsider PM is a bad idea.. so if it was all fake why include that. Maybe there is a 36,8 % voting block that want Prayut. Who knows.. only a true election will show. 

Plus this news is not positive.. his approval rate went down from 52,8 to 36,8 (how many people wanted to vote for him)

But in general Thai polls reflect what those that ordered them want them to say (was the same in the past) but this seems like negative news for them.

It seems clear, from the articles and opinion pieces published since the end last year, that the Junta has lost the media support it once had. Whereas in the past, The Nation et al used to publish pieces "justifying" junta actions, now it's a seemingly daily barge of critism.

Is Prayuth smart or scared enough to take the hint and exit "gracefully"?

Edited by SABloke

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe, but I am sure the junta does not want to hear that an outsider PM is a bad idea.. so if it was all fake why include that. Maybe there is a 36,8 % voting block that want Prayut. Who knows.. only a true election will show. 

Plus this news is not positive.. his approval rate went down from 52,8 to 36,8 (how many people wanted to vote for him)

But in general Thai polls reflect what those that ordered them want them to say (was the same in the past) but this seems like negative news for them.

Meanwhile back on planet earth.......

If that was the case they would hold the election tomorrow. The 'Democrats' have only got more than that once in 60 years.

The polls a nonsense, as are all of the polls here. The only ones that are probably more close to reality would be the ones that parties carry out themselves, but i doubt they would release the data.

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

If that was the case they would hold the election tomorrow. The 'Democrats' have only got more than that once in 60 years.

The polls a nonsense, as are all of the polls here. The only ones that are probably more close to reality would be the ones that parties carry out themselves, but i doubt they would release the data.

Smutcakes,

I think your missing my point.. if this is all so fake (and could very wel be) why release data that shows a dramatic decline in popularity and an aversion against an outsider PM. Both don't make Prayut look good at all. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Smutcakes,

I think your missing my point.. if this is all so fake (and could very wel be) why release data that shows a dramatic decline in popularity and an aversion against an outsider PM. Both don't make Prayut look good at all. 

So what are you suggesting?  

The most accurate reflection of the people's opinions and voting intentions will be the junta government's own surveys or and assessments.
For sure they will never be made public; but the consistent reluctance/refusal to hold an election, or allow any real political activity give a jolly good pointer to what they say...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, smutcakes said:

So what are you suggesting?  

These are probably not figures that make Prayut happy.. if it was all so fake and controlled why even release them. The only positive thing for him is the 36,8% but even that is a huge decline from before.  Isnt the idea of fake polls to make someone look better. Maybe the real results are even worse.. who knows.. but why if its all fake would you release something this bad.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

These are probably not figures that make Prayut happy.. if it was all so fake and controlled why even release them. The only positive thing for him is the 36,8% but even that is a huge decline from before.  Isnt the idea of fake polls to make someone look better. Maybe the real results are even worse.. who knows.. but why if its all fake would you release something this bad.

No idea, i don't believe you can pick and choose which polls you believe or not. You either trust them or you don't. I don't read anything into any of them.

If the Junta believed they could get their desired result in an election they would have had one already. Recent activities seems to put them on a downward trajectory popularity wise. 

The real danger would be that through machinations of the military with smaller parties (Giving them choice ministries in exchange for their support) there is a possibility that the handpicked Senate alongside those MP's create a situation where an unelected PM is put in a position when in reality could have very little support from the population and has only happened because of the way the rules have been set. I think that could create a dangerous situation.

Just now, smutcakes said:

No idea, i don't believe you can pick and choose which polls you believe or not. You either trust them or you don't. I don't read anything into any of them.

If the Junta believed they could get their desired result in an election they would have had one already. Recent activities seems to put them on a downward trajectory popularity wise. 

The real danger would be that through machinations of the military with smaller parties (Giving them choice ministries in exchange for their support) there is a possibility that the handpicked Senate alongside those MP's create a situation where an unelected PM is put in a position when in reality could have very little support from the population and has only happened because of the way the rules have been set. I think that could create a dangerous situation.

I don't really trust any of them.. but I don't get the point if you see something this bad why release it at all. 

Yes recent activities have put them on a downward trajectory.. you might have noticed they lost my support too. I support nobody anymore as there is just no non corrupt alternative. Whatever happens is just a change of those who rape the treasury. They (whoever) will be as arrogant as the junta and all other previous governments as corrupt and as much nepotism. 

Maybe the new voting system will help a small party to rise (not talking about army party) but a good non corrupt alternative. At least with the new voting all votes are counted not just wins per voting district. This makes it easier for smaller parties to rise and it would cost them a lot less. So no need to make the money back again. (maybe all just wishful thinking and nothing will ever change)

41 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Sure Abhisit thought he was a shoe in too.   The military will do all they can not to suffer another humiliation at the hands of the rural and other folk. 

If democracy is to ever return to Thailand, they simply have to be able to find people with more talent, and more courage, and more vision, than Abhisit. He was a mediocre PM, at best, when he was given the chance. Some real talent has to emerge from somewhere, at some point. Or the country is doomed. 

And I am not including Little P. in that talent category. His only talents are to drone on and on and on, without saying anything, to deny the people their basic rights, and to amass wealth at the people's expense. That is it. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I think the clue to this result was that it was carried out by a Bangkok university. I think if it were carried out by a more rural body the PM would be in single digits - if that

You should know by now that nobody with power inside BKK cares about the rurals, and that BKK is the centre of the universe, and that the world (Thailand) revolves around BKK.

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If democracy is to ever return to Thailand, they simply have to be able to find people with more talent, and more courage, and more vision, than Abhisit. He was a mediocre PM, at best, when he was given the chance. Some real talent has to emerge from somewhere, at some point. Or the country is doomed. 

And I am not including Little P. in that talent category. His only talents are to drone on and on and on, without saying anything, to deny the people their basic rights, and to amass wealth at the people's expense. That is it. 

Agreed.

I was so disappointed with Abhisit. What with his background and education, the guy had so much potential to really be a breath of fresh air in Thai politics. Instead he was no better, nor worse than all the rest. And basically a complete flop.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't really trust any of them.. but I don't get the point if you see something this bad why release it at all. 

Yes recent activities have put them on a downward trajectory.. you might have noticed they lost my support too. I support nobody anymore as there is just no non corrupt alternative. Whatever happens is just a change of those who rape the treasury. They (whoever) will be as arrogant as the junta and all other previous governments as corrupt and as much nepotism. 

I agree. However at least the people should have the right to persue their grievances via social media, radio,  TV and the ballot box. They should not have to fear the exercise of arbitrary power and misuse of computer crimes laws. Right now they cannot.

Just now, baboon said:

I agree. However at least the people should have the right to persue their grievances via social media, radio,  TV and the ballot box. They should not have to fear the exercise of arbitrary power and misuse of computer crimes laws. Right now they cannot.

True.. but only if the politicians don't use defamation laws. But can't be much worse then now.

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

True.. but only if the politicians don't use defamation laws. But can't be much worse then now.

I think when you start prosecuting people for defaming a handbag, the situation has pretty much nowhere else to go other than up...:biggrin: