Foreign talents encouraged to apply for newly-launched SMART Visa

Jonathan Fairfield

Foreign talents encouraged to apply for newly-launched SMART Visa

smartvisa1.jpg

SMART Visa, a new type of visa designed to encourage foreign talents to work in the S-Curve industries, will come into effect on Feb 1 with an aim to enhance knowledge transfer and Thailand’s competitiveness in the global economy.

Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesperson Busadee Santipitaks told a press conference today (Jan 25) that the SMART Visa is a new type of visa specially designed to encourage highly-skilled professionals and talents to work or invest in the 10 targeted S-Curve industries.

The 10 industries are next-generation automotive; smart electronics; affluent; medical and wellness tourism; agriculture and biotechnology; food for the future; robotics; aviation and logistics; biofuels and biochemicals; digital; and medical hub.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-talents-encouraged-apply-newly-launched-smart-visa/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-25

Is it just me, or are there others who have never heard the term "S-Curve" industries before???

When I did a Google search on the term, pretty much everything that popped back was in relation to Thailand, mostly just recently in connection with the visas scheme.

But it seems a curious use of a term, since I'm guessing the average layman (Thai or farang) has no idea what the term actually means.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Where-does-Thailand-stand-on-the-S-curve-30275107.html

Where does Thailand stand on the ‘S curve?’

opinion December 17, 2015 01:00

By Suthichai Yoon
The Nation

6,667 Viewed

Somebody mentioned the “S Curve Theory” to me the other day

I wasn’t sure what he was trying to tell me. So, I asked him to explain what this “curve” business was all about.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

40 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The 10 industries are next-generation automotive; smart electronics; affluent; medical and wellness tourism; agriculture and biotechnology; food for the future; robotics; aviation and logistics; biofuels and biochemicals; digital; and medical hub.

Affluent is an industry?

Where do I apply?

"She said SMART Visa provides more benefits and privileges than any other types of visa. These benefits are: visa validity up to 4 years, instead of the usual 1 year; no requirement of work permit; extension of reporting of stay to Immigration Bureau, from every 90-day to every year; and the right of spouse and children of the SMART Visa holder to live and work in Thailand."

Hmm... 

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

By the graphics they need some 10 year olds and less, trying to copy Malaysia who have already do this and now have a silicone valley, You have missed the boat again, stick to what you are good at and that is ripping off tourists

Image result for busty silicone job                                          Image result for silicon valley

The silicone valley is clearly visible in the above view.         Silicon Valley is clearly visible in the above view. 

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is it just me, or are there others who have never heard the term "S-Curve" industries before???

It's the curve of the spine, especially when exaggerated with breast and buttock implants to enhance sexualisation. Four year visas are being offered to those with expertise in this and the associated body shaping underwear industries. 

First we had smart phones. After that smart speakers. Now we have a smart visa. Does that mean we also have some farangs that are considered to be smart?

No, no. This is not at all what we mean. Thoose unholy and evil creatures invading our country by legions, will never be considered smart.

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

All the foreign talent  will surely  head to Singapore NOT Thailand.

Well the Singaporeans can speak good english, can't say that about the Thai. Also singapore is a much better city than BKK.

As they proudly say in their cartoon promo drawing.

"Taking Thailand to New Heights with Foreign Talents and Technology"

This is nothing more than admission that their own education system is a failure.

Maybe all those Indian IT experts that PM Prayut is aiming to import will qualify for Smart Visa and put many non-smart Thai IT dummies out of a job.

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"She said SMART Visa provides more benefits and privileges than any other types of visa. These benefits are: visa validity up to 4 years, instead of the usual 1 year; no requirement of work permit; extension of reporting of stay to Immigration Bureau, from every 90-day to every year; and the right of spouse and children of the SMART Visa holder to live and work in Thailand."

Hmm... 

I like the sound of it, but I don't see much of more general Engineering Math etc.  They seem to focus more on vocational applications or directed applications instead of the basic engineering you need to learn  and then can go apply that to problems or teaching.

Judging by friends of mine who have come here and invested and left nursing a serious loss of cash and revenue. Thailand is ONE of the plac es I would never INVEST in they are so xenophobic, you really cannot own anything 

Bringing Silicon Valley to Thailand (4 Nov 2016):

"they [entrepreneurs in Thailand] are less mature and less experienced than their Silicon Valley peers. In addition, as the Thai education system largely discourages risk-taking behaviour, discussion and debate rarely play a part in their learning process. Thais generally like to be fed knowledge, and consequently, there is little challenge to the status quo, and no daring to change things."

"What Thailand now needs is awareness, education and opportunity."

https://cmp.smu.edu.sg/ami/article/20161111/bringing-silicon-valley-thailand

The Smart Visa program is a dead-end.