Thinking of retiring

As somebody mentioned Chiang Mai is getting a little crowded. You might want to check out Korat where you can rent a new large 3 bedroom house for 10,000 baht a month, or buy for around 2.5 million baht which is about 80,000 dollars. Also have a really nice user friendly Immigration Office. City is not crazy with three huge malls for the wife. And you can get an hours massage for a 100 baht if you know where to go.....Klang Plaza. But it is a big country with lots of options. Good luck.

As somebody mentioned Chiang Mai is getting a little crowded. You might want to check out Korat where you can rent a new large 3 bedroom house for 10,000 baht a month, or buy for around 2.5 million baht which is about 80,000 dollars. Also have a really nice user friendly Immigration Office. City is not crazy with three huge malls for the wife. And you can get an hours massage for a 100 baht if you know where to go.....Klang Plaza. But it is a big country with lots of options. Good luck.

19 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

You are confusing the issue with your incorrect terminology. You are referring to an extension of stay, which is not a visa.

I am referring to an actual visa - a non imm o-a multi entry visa which will allow the OP to avoid dealing with immigration for anything except for the 90 day reports for a year. And if he makes one border run towards the end of that year, he will get a second year before he must face immigration with its income verification and/or money in the bank requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Met an American who works in China and lives on Phuket on a plane, recently. I don't ask people about their personal issues but he insisted on showing me his passport with "retirement visa" he curiously got never leaving Phuket. Yep visa exempts, non-O , EXTENSION, re-entry Permit. He still thinks he has a retirement visa and will continue to think so as he learned little securing everything by throwing money at an agent in Phuket.

As for this thread the one post OP is gone followed by yooper seeming to stir the pot with well hashed-out issues of Nationality law, etc. "Thai Embassy of Chicago", indeed.:coffee1:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

No. Its an extension of stay.

The over 50 crowd who are asking questions,  need to meet the financial requirements etc. 99 % refer to it as a retirement visa.  So does immigration.  So do the Ads by agencies on this TV site.  So do the signs at the front of agents. So does every person I know who has common sense.

But if some have no idea what one is talking about when they are over 50 and asking about the requirements and are immediately shut down by an arrogant: There is no such thing as a retirement visa.

If they don't get it duh, then I guess they don't......

As far as I am concerned the nearest thing to a "retirement visa" is not an extension of stay but a non-O visa on the grounds of being aged 50 or over, for which quarterly trips to the likes of Penang and Vientiane would be required to renew on the basis that they only issue such visas on a single-entry basis.

After all, you wouldn't call an apple an orange, would you?

Edited by OJAS

18 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

An Non Immi OA Visa is a "Retirement Visa"  as it is only issued on the basis of retirement.

That is not really correct, it is visa that allows someone over the age of 50 to spend a period of up to one year (per entry) without working in Thailand, there is no requirement that you actually have to be retired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

That is not really correct, it is visa that allows someone over the age of 50 to spend a period of up to one year (per entry) without working in Thailand, there is no requirement that you actually have to be retired.

In that you fit the requirements for retirement in Thailand in the view of the MFA.

On 27-1-2018 at 1:31 AM, yooper said:

fwiw, you cannot get a Thai passport without a Thai ID card. If you have a valid Thai ID card you might be able to get a passport if you don't mention you are a foreign national. My wife had her whole history from birth documented and was placed on her sisters house registration and was still denied a new Thai ID card.  That is not to say that it can't be done, just saying that it appears that it would not be legal under Thai law.

Unless you can read Thai, this link might help to understand why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_nationality_law

In The Netherlands it is normal you get a new passport at the embassy, even if you live here for many years. Embassy officers going a few times a year to a wat in The Netherlands and facilitate the request for a passport. This to avoid the long distances people have to travel. Remember visa and passports is a main part of their income.

I havent read through the thread, but you can buy a condominium in your name legally and you shd have little problem getting a bank account if you tell the thai bank you need to open a thai account for transferring money over to buy a condo (normal practice).
Btw Chiang Mai has some lovely condos on the river, but traffic is getting quite bad in town.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

In that you fit the requirements for retirement in Thailand in the view of the MFA.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

No mention in the MFA blurge of retirement whatsoever, there simply is not a visa that's specific purpose is for retirees, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

20 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

An Non Immi OA Visa is a "Retirement Visa"  as it is only issued on the basis of retirement.

As far as I am concerned it is on a par with a non-O visa issued on the grounds of being aged 50 or over, as I have previously referred to.

However, there is, of course, nothing to stop those who wish to "renew their retirement visas" from making a trip back to their home countries every couple of years or so for a fresh non-OA, as an alternative to a quarterly trip to Vientiane or Penang for a fresh single-entry non-O. But, personally, I much prefer the more convenient option of a trip to my local immigration office each year for an extension of stay.

Edited by OJAS

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html
No mention in the MFA blurge of retirement whatsoever, there simply is not a visa that's specific purpose is for retirees, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

It depends on where you look for the information.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, OJAS said:

As far as I am concerned the nearest thing to a "retirement visa" is not an extension of stay but a non-O visa on tCahe grounds of being aged 50 or over, for which quarterly trips to the likes of Penang and Vientiane would be required to renew on the basis that they only issue such visas on a single-entry basis.

After all, you wouldn't call an apple an orange, would you?

I have a visa that says

Type: Non Immigrant

Category: O

No. of Entry: M  (multiple)

Fee: $200

Our stated purpose for the visa application was to visit family, I is good for one year upon entry to Thailand (within 90 days of issue).  Two months after our arrival I have the 'Retirement' stamp added to my passport, stating it was good until Feb 2018.  We will be leaving in May to return in November, prior to the expiration of the Non-O visa. What is not clear to me is if my non-O were expired (like the following year) and I entered on the free 30 day tourist visa, would immigration extend/update it to a year based on my receipt for and stamp indication of my retirement extension status.  I won't be at that point for a very long while, just wondering if anyone with the retirement stamp has ever re-entered within the 10 year window without only the 30 day initial stay.... please note I am wondering about facts not opinions. (like it matters here)

10 minutes ago, yooper said:

Our stated purpose for the visa application was to visit family, I is good for one year upon entry to Thailand (within 90 days of issue).  Two months after our arrival I have the 'Retirement' stamp added to my passport, stating it was good until Feb 2018.  We will be leaving in May to return in November, prior to the expiration of the Non-O visa. What is not clear to me is if my non-O were expired (like the following year) and I entered on the free 30 day tourist visa, would immigration extend/update it to a year based on my receipt for and stamp indication of my retirement extension status.  I won't be at that point for a very long while, just wondering if anyone with the retirement stamp has ever re-entered within the 10 year window without only the 30 day initial stay.... please note I am wondering about facts not opinions. (like it matters here)

Since you now have an extension based upon retirement you cannot use your multiple entry non-o visa for entry since that will void out your extension since you will get a new permit to stay date 90 days from the date of entry.

You need to use a re-entry permit (fee for a single is 1000 baht) that will be valid for entry to the date you extension expires. You need to apply for it before leaving the country.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you now have an extension based upon retirement you cannot use your multiple entry non-o visa for entry since that will void out your extension since you will get a new permit to stay date 90 days from the date of entry.

You need to use a re-entry permit (fee for a single is 1000 baht) that will be valid for entry to the date you extension expires. You need to apply for it before leaving the country.

1000 baht sounds great to me.... assuming I/we get a fresh year upon re-entry.  I'll guess we can apply for it around 2 weeks prior to departure?  I just changed our American Airlines return flight from March to May at a cost of $2000. I don't recall why the hell I booked a return in March, it is still way cold in Northern Michigan and usually plenty of snow left on the ground.

fwiw, my brother in law has taken up a personal challenge of straightening out the folks at the district office regarding my wife's ID card.  He will try to get an audience with the next higher-up above the fellow 'upstairs' that confirmed the first bureaucrat's decision not to issue the card. My brother-in-law  did some research on his own and now believes as do so many others here that she is entitled to her ID card. He is not pleased with the demeanor of the folks at the district office and wants to prove them wrong on face value. He is a retired govt employee, I do not know what his job was but rumor has it that he is a personal acquaintance of the mayor of Bangkok. I do know he belongs to some sort of group similar to the Rotary in the US and frequently goes to meetings and gatherings where he probably has opportunity to look for direction on the matter.

At least her ID card would save the 1000 baht re-entry fee if she could enter with a Thai passport. Other than that we can do fine without it since we are not looking for work or to buy property....   Or to win any contests....I had an email from 'Suitcase' who seems to adore you and told me to give up that I cannot 'Win' whatever he thinks I am trying to win.... he wrote:

"You ain’t gonna win this one so you might as well give it up!

Ubinjoe knows way more than you will ever think of knowing!"

On 1/27/2018 at 9:11 PM, Lite Beer said:

There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa. 

It is vital to get the terminology correct. 

Otherwise we spend the first page or two giving wrong information or trying to understand what the query is. 

Those who purposely choose  to confuse the issue are of no help whatsoever. 

"vital" - it's hardly a matter of life and death.

There can be ambiguity and I can understand the need to try and avoid it but making up a set of rules and telling people they must adhere to them is not the way to deal with it.

If the terminology police were not quite so dogmatic and a bit more tolerant of what gets posted then we wouldn't be going over this issue time and time again.

24 minutes ago, yooper said:

1000 baht sounds great to me.... assuming I/we get a fresh year upon re-entry.  I'll guess we can apply for it around 2 weeks prior to departure?

You will not get a new one year entry. You will be stamped in until the date your one year extension ends.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not get a new one year entry. You will be stamped in until the date your one year extension ends.

ah yes, I am back on the Immigration web page,  I see there is a fresh 1900 baht per year fee for the extensions. At least the February date works well for us as a renewal date.  But more reason now to hope the wife ends up with a Thai passport before we leave,  would save us a total of 2900 baht per year.... almost half a months rent on our Bang Phli hideaway!

We just cam back from a 3 day weekend in Pattaya. Found a rental less than 100yds from the beach around Soi  8 off Jomtien Beach Rd for BHT 13,000/month plus utilities.  The deck/balcony is larger than our room here in Bang Phli, we are very pleased. We put down a deposit and will begin our rental there in a couple weeks... it's a 2.5 hr bus trip back and forth whenever we want a change of pace.  I am wondering about the farang  reporting  that landlords are supposed to do.... we are still logged in as living in Bang Phli, how confusing would that end up being if we were also reported as living in Pattaya? Should I bring our rent receipts and tell them they don't have to report?

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

"vital" - it's hardly a matter of life and death.

There can be ambiguity and I can understand the need to try and avoid it but making up a set of rules and telling people they must adhere to them is not the way to deal with it.

If the terminology police were not quite so dogmatic and a bit more tolerant of what gets posted then we wouldn't be going over this issue time and time again.

If people used the correct terms we would not be wasting time and effort giving wrong advise.

It really is as simple as that.:wacko:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is quite true. However, losing his current extension of permission to stay because the differences between a multiple entry visa, permission to stay and re-entry permit are not understood can be extremely irritating.

It can be even worse when people leave without a re-entry permit (not understanding the need) and are attempting to return without a visa at all. For many, they receive a visa exempt entry, and do a conversion and new extension. However, for some nationalities, it can be a denial of entry, back home to some remote part of the world which is the only place they are allowed to apply for a visa, and then back to Thailand (easily several thousand dollars of unnecessary expense). This has happened. I can also recall a case of someone ending up on a 30-day visa exempt entry, thinking his retirement extension was still valid, and later having a long overstay to contend with facing blacklisting from Thailand. Not quite a matter of life and death, certainly, but could be a major disruption to your life.

Clear communication costs nothing other than a little effort, and can be important.

People are grown ups and if they get it wrong they must live with the consequences. I had lived here for nearly 6 years,got married, built my house and done 3 UK visitor visas before I ever heard of this forum. Despite what some may think it is not 'vital' to ones survival.

If some one asks a question that may be ambiguous, why not ask for clarification, after all "costs nothing other than a little effort, and can be important."

Treating them like children with an arrogant response doesn't help in the slightest. If someone has been referring to their extension as a retirement visa for donkeys years, no amount of this 'superior than thou' attitude is going to change that. The terminology brigade should take some lessons in diplomacy, learn to read, and make more effort to understand what is being said before offering this so called advice.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

People are grown ups and if they get it wrong they must live with the consequences. I had lived here for nearly 6 years,got married, built my house and done 3 UK visitor visas before I ever heard of this forum. Despite what some may think it is not 'vital' to ones survival.

If some one asks a question that may be ambiguous, why not ask for clarification, after all "costs nothing other than a little effort, and can be important."

Treating them like children with an arrogant response doesn't help in the slightest. If someone has been referring to their extension as a retirement visa for donkeys years, no amount of this 'superior than thou' attitude is going to change that. The terminology brigade should take some lessons in diplomacy, learn to read, and make more effort to understand what is being said before offering this so called advice.

I understand your point, and I hope I am not rude. That said, having to explain the difference between a visa and extension of stay in 60% of cases where questions are asked about staying in Thailand for retirement or staying with Thai family becomes irritating. A thread that ought to be three or four posts long ends up running to pages where incorrect advice is given based on incorrect assumptions, and (apart from clarifying what the OP is asking) misleading responses also need to be corrected.

Maybe, this is easier for the OP than doing a little reading before posting, but I do not think it is polite.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

I understand your point, and I hope I am not rude. That said, having to explain the difference between a visa and extension of stay in 60% of cases where questions are asked about staying in Thailand for retirement or staying with Thai family becomes irritating. A thread that ought to be three or four posts long ends up running to pages where incorrect advice is given based on incorrect assumptions, and (apart from clarifying what the OP is asking) misleading responses also need to be corrected.

Maybe, this is easier for the OP than doing a little reading before posting, but I do not think it is polite.

Therein lies the problem, you among others are trying to justify the actions rather than pursue a solution.

Disagreements arise because nobody likes to be told that something they have said in a post is wrong, whether it be the OP or a subsequent post, when in many instances there is no right and wrong. When presented with the intricacies of the English language the terminology police are not interested, they will argue the toss that they are right on the basis of self appointed experts. I have seen these responses and despite what some may say they are anything but tolerant and patient.

At the end of the day, if there was no response there would be no argument so its fairly obvious in which direction a solution would lie.

BTW. If you find it irritating, why participate?

58 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Actually, I have recently been thinking much the same myself. In the end, if people get themselves into trouble by following incorrect advice they receive because their posts are misleading, that is not my problem. In the past, I have participated out of altruism. I have previously received useful information here , and believe I have knowledge that can be of use to others. However, my rational side tells me there are much better ways I could be spending my time.

Yes.

Some of us actually do try and help people while there are others that get some kind of pleasure in misleading people and sending them up the garden path.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I pity the people who still don't understand or refuse to acknowledge the difference between a visa and a permission to stay.

For the last time, visa is a permission to enter a country. It does not give you the rights to stay in foreign land. The permission to stay in a country is determined by an immigration when u enter a country.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app