Thinking of retiring

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not state it is mandatory to choose. I think what you quoted before was taken out of context.

To me 'may, if he desires to retain his other nationality,  make a declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining the age of twenty years   means what it says - if he wants to keep his new nationality he has to lose his Thai citizenship.

That is distinct from the wording changes for a Thai woman (or indeed a man now) married to a foreigner which now states 'If he or she desires to renounce Thai nationality,' I read that as she/he now has the choice.

Edited by KhaoYai

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

To me 'may, if he desires to retain his other nationality,  make a declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining the age of twenty years   means what it says - if he wants to keep his new nationality he has to lose his Thai citizenship.

May and if he desires certainly does not mean it is mandatory. I can assure nobody has been forced to give up either of their nationalities.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

You should read the Constitutional Act of 2017.

Section 5. The Constitution is the supreme law of the State. The provisions of
any law, rule or regulation or any acts, which are contrary to or inconsistent with the
Constitution, shall be unenforceable.

Section 39. No person of Thai nationality shall be deported or prohibited from
entering the Kingdom.
The revocation of Thai nationality acquired by birth shall not be permitted.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

" Those areas are not polluted..."

I assume you refer to seeing black exhaust from buses, trucks, etc., which perhaps are not as prevalent in some neighborhoods.

But the PM 2.5 pollution is unfortunately in dangerous levels in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pai, etc. - I think all northern areas and certainly Chiang Mai per air pollution sites.

There is truth in it. Though the 2.5pp was just OK in Chiang Rai but not CM indeed. Good that the German Govt will help Thailand to improve in this matter (look that thread today in Thai visa) 

On 4/24/2018 at 7:27 AM, onera1961 said:

Where on US soil you can get such a visa? No consulate in the US issues such a visa. All Non-O visas are for family visit only. 

Correct, sorry for any confusion.... we do have family here.

Regarding my other comments and experiences here over the past 6 months, everyone be advised that advice / information you see online is in no way binding upon whatever bureaucrat you may face during required interactions w ith Thai authorities.  Nothing is guaranteed, everything is subject to change or disapproval by the bureaucrat with whom you interact.  If you raise your voice or complain you can be 'blacklisted' or worse.  

We are leaving in 2 weeks and we have not applied for a re-entry permit so our retirement visas will not be valid if we ever come back, which is not likely.  If we do come again it will be as tourists.  What was originally seen as quaint, cultural, or even endearing Thai-ness has become largely insufferable to us as educated westerners, most especially the public school system.   We will follow the evolution of Thai politics and social engineering from a distance.  God bless all who love Thailand. I love it too but not as a home, even part-time.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, onera1961 said:

Where on US soil you can get such a visa? No consulate in the US issues such a visa. All Non-O visas are for family visit only. 

Not the Non Imm O-A Visa.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

May and if he desires certainly does not mean it is mandatory. I can assure nobody has been forced to give up either of their nationalities.

Well we'll just have to agree that we read it differently.