425,000 baht for a scooter....no really.

AllanB

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

It seems that you never rode a motorbike

I'm into my third year of a 5 year licence for a scooter here, and I own a car and scooter both. Yamaha TTX. That doesn't mean I am not fully aware of the dangers on two wheels. If anything, the road statistics are too modest. I see a lot of men and women limping with smashed feet and knees, and it's not rocket science where or how they got them.

My point is the bigger the bike, the faster it goes and the higher the risk. And if you don't care, I don't care either when someone becomes a cripple or a paraplegic. Som nam na.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I'm into my third year of a 5 year licence for a scooter here, and I own a car and scooter both. Yamaha TTX. That doesn't mean I am not fully aware of the dangers on two wheels. If anything, the road statistics are too modest. I see a lot of men and women limping with smashed feet and knees, and it's not rocket science where they got them.

My point is the bigger the bike, the faster it goes and the higher the risk. And if you don't care, I don't care either when someone becomes a cripple or a paraplegic. Som nam na.

I was of course relating to the "fun" part of your text, i think everybody will agree with you that riding a motorbike is way more dangerous than driving a car, but it's also much more fun

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I was of course relating to the "fun" part of your text, i think everybody will agree with you that riding a motorbike is way more dangerous than driving a car, but it's also much more fun

There's also fun in getting posters on TV to jump to completely erroneous conclusions. Probably have touched enough nerves for today, so bye.

• Sad 1

Well, I am happy to see another option to replace my Tmax! 

I am not 100% a fan of the look but, 750cc, Automatic dual clutch gear box, 100k Thb cheaper than new Tmax, Honda quality/service and most of all maybe: a different concept.

Not everybody want to drive a 150cc for the rest of their life, some peolpe may have enough money to buy it, as for the "real bike".... playing with with gear box isn't always fun in traffic and the eat from the engine is just too much for me...

Definitely need a test drive to see how fun it is.

Edited by tomaway

22 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

You really need to get out more the PCX is very popular with Thai's.   Spotted a little old lady buzzing down the road last week on a Forza. 

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

It seems you missed the last few years. A few years ago, when i also bought my PCX, the PCX could be indeed called "farang bike". But by now it seems to me that most Farangs go for the, in my opinion too, better Nmax. Today you see a lot of Thais on PCX, and especially buying new PCX,

There were bound to be a few disjointed owners. Of course you see loads of thais on PCX's now. Where do you think all the ex rentals have gone? I have only seen 1 maybe 2 PCX's in the last 2 years in issan.

Each to their own and i suppose every thing has a place somewhere. I rode one about 3 years ago when a friend hired one (took it back 2 days later and swapped it) It was about as exciting as a damp cloth, and like riding an armchair around but with more grunt, pretty much useless around town compared to to your proverbial Honda click etc 

Could be right about the Nmax as i have not been to any tourist places lately but very much the same styling and attracttion

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

There were bound to be a few disjointed owners. Of course you see loads of thais on PCX's now. Where do you think all the ex rentals have gone? I have only seen 1 maybe 2 PCX's in the last 2 years in issan.

Each to their own and i suppose every thing has a place somewhere. I rode one about 3 years ago when a friend hired one (took it back 2 days later and swapped it) It was about as exciting as a damp cloth, and like riding an armchair around but with more grunt, pretty much useless around town compared to to your proverbial Honda click etc 

Could be right about the Nmax as i have not been to any tourist places lately but very much the same styling and attracttion

As i said before already, by now you see many thais riding new PCX, not the old models. On the other hand most farangs that you see on PCX are riding the old models. I'm talking about Udon Thani (city), which is not the typical tourist hotspot, and Bangkok.

In my opinion the PCX is much more comfortable to ride than a Click and i'm quite sure most people would agree, but of course you can have another opinion regarding this. A scooter is not so much for fun in general, even though riding my PCX across Thailand several times and through Laos was quite enjoyable.

Same goes for the scooter about which this topic here actually is, some like it, some don't. Everybody has a different opinion about what they think is good, so it's usually better to focus on the objective attributes. This type of scooter is unique for now, but they should have made it a bit cheaper, because you can get the same stuff (engine, DCT, amount of storage space) in the body of a motorbike for less.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I agree with that, scooters are good for city duty but I prefer a real bike out on the highways. I find it entertaining with the gears on the bike, trying to find the right one in any given situation. 

Those big scooter are typically bought by people who starts riding late in life and as you said, they can't ride a real bike so they get a maxi scooter. No hard feelings over that from my side and I seen some that had to give up riding big bikes due to age related illness and they sometimes get a big scooter, all respect to them.

Yep, I also think it's a good thing if people who can't ride a motorcycle for whatever reason can still get out and enjoy 2 wheels. I just think the 300 is a better fit for the scooter platform.

The 300 is a lot cheaper, more storage space, goes about 150 kph - fast enough for any scooter, - it's lighter, looks better etc. Not sure why anyone would pay over 200k more to own this thing. For 425k You could have a XMAX 300 for scootering (if that's a word), a KLX/CRF250 for real off roading and 100,000 Baht leftover for mods/trips etc.

Be interesting to see how many they sell.  

• Like 2

It seems hard to understand for hardcore bikers that:

- driving a big scooter/automatic bike is pleasant.

- we don't drive it because we can't use gearbox.

- 530cc is different than 300 and 750cc is totally different from 300...

- most of the user of maxi scooter are still driving bikes, just another kind of pleasure.

- I sold my real bike because I enjoy much more driving my Tmax everyday where I live.

The best is to try it with open mind.... you would be surprised... or not [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomaway said:

The best is to try it with open mind.... you would be surprised... or not emoji6.png

Won't work for me ... My head says BMWs and Ducatis are powerful, refined, cutting edge in a technical sense - but I just can not get over how they look. Which I must say most modern bikes fall into the Fugly category. And this one is King of the Hill - until the world gets a bigger Ugly Stick.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tomaway said:

- most of the user of maxi scooter are still driving bikes, just another kind of pleasure.

- I sold my real bike because I enjoy much more driving my Tmax everyday where I live.

The best is to try it with open mind.... you would be surprised... or not emoji6.png

Well your post said it all, driving your scooter, eh!

I take great pleasure riding my big bike, got my fist one when I was 18years old. Went all the way down to Spain and back to DK again with some friends, we had a hell of a good time doing it.

Just call me a biker snob, ha-ha, too late to change that now, I am what I am.

• Like 1

I personally think a scooter should be Vespa or Filano size maximum. I tried a PCX and agree very boring on a run (wet rag seems about right), I had a go on my mates Forza, heavy and cumbersome and surprisingly rattly on Thai roads. Did the MHS loop a while ago on our new Filano and it did the job, but on the long runs, ...no.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a loose surface on any scooter I have seen/riden and this one at 1/4 ton, forget it. It is a joke to use the word adventure with this machine and as others have suggested there a real adventure bikes out there for less money.

My new CRF, although the engine is, shall we say "odd" is good off-road and at (AllanB) high speeds is good even two up, so has more right to the "adventure" label. 

We did a lot of touring on the Vespa in Europe last year, not so great on the motorways, but the up side was negotiating the many narrow streets. This big ugly heavy expensive offering wouldn't even do that. So what is it good for in terms of adventure?

HOWEVER!!....Just looked at the definition of the word "adventure" an unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity. so once again I am completely wrong.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, tomaway said:

Yep, it's hard for me to understand.

Nope, cannot have an open mind to twist and go's.

Because i'm from the land and culture of Mod's and Rockers. One or the other - can't like both...

No sitting on the fence....

• Like 1

Wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter, never swung a leg over one, never will.  Love my PCX motorbike.   Had big bikes for a lot of my life in the UK, even worked as a motorbike courier for a few years (until the advent of faxes pretty much killed that), now live in Pattaya where big bikes are a liability, not an asset. 

OK, so small bikes aren't really suitable for travelling more than an hour or so out of town, but in town they're ideal.  Mine (a 150) will cruise at 80kph 2-up, that'll do for me, I'm retired and seldom in a rush these days - and I can always rent a big bike or car if I need that sort of transport on the odd occasion.

On reason for liking the twist-n-go is footwear, here I wear only sandals, which makes footbrakes and foot gearshifts a bit of a pain.

Each to his own though.  If we all agreed on the perfect make/model/colour, there would be nothing else on the road.  Boring.   :wai:

16 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter, never swung a leg over one, never will.  Love my PCX motorbike.   Had big bikes for a lot of my life in the UK, even worked as a motorbike courier for a few years (until the advent of faxes pretty much killed that), now live in Pattaya where big bikes are a liability, not an asset. 

Well, I'm not deriding the PCX in any way. It's a great machine and you've made a good choice. But by any definition it is a scooter, not a motorcycle. Even Honda themselves agree with me:

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/scooters/pcx150

I ride a Click myself and I'm not ashamed to say I ride a scooter. It is my first scooter, after many years riding motorcycles and I have great fun on it.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2018 at 10:54 AM, JonnyF said:

Yep, I also think it's a good thing if people who can't ride a motorcycle for whatever reason can still get out and enjoy 2 wheels. I just think the 300 is a better fit for the scooter platform.

The 300 is a lot cheaper, more storage space, goes about 150 kph - fast enough for any scooter, - it's lighter, looks better etc. Not sure why anyone would pay over 200k more to own this thing. For 425k You could have a XMAX 300 for scootering (if that's a word), a KLX/CRF250 for real off roading and 100,000 Baht leftover for mods/trips etc.

Be interesting to see how many they sell.  

My mate who has the Forza (two in fact) would disagree that these rubber band autos are easier to ride. He finds it disconcerting, the inability to change gear on the hairpins, having to get the revs right to get any power on the uphills and the lack of engine braking on the downhills....and the problem with crosswinds. He has been riding big bikes all his life and would much rather have a proper bike.

He rides the Forza to keep wifey happy..........and he has short legs.

• Like 1

My 150 scooter cruises at 110 & top speed just over 120kph. Done 200km day trips around the country. Superb machine.

No need for a big bike here in Thailand when a scooter can do the same distances but at a safer speed.

The 750 will have a market, otherwise it wouldn't be on sale.

The Scomadi 400 & 450 will be interesting, just to see how well a traditional Lambretta looking scooter copes with such power.

On 03/02/2018 at 3:24 PM, Moonlover said:

Well, I'm not deriding the PCX in any way. It's a great machine and you've made a good choice. But by any definition it is a scooter, not a motorcycle. Even Honda themselves agree with me:

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/scooters/pcx150

I ride a Click myself and I'm not ashamed to say I ride a scooter. It is my first scooter, after many years riding motorcycles and I have great fun on it.

Well, I'll disagree with Honda (heresy!). A scooter looks like a Vespa; tiny wheels, engine mounted on the swinging arm, and a pratt on top - OK, sometimes it's a cute lass, they can get away with anything. ?

What do I know though, the meanings of some words have changed since my school days - "decimated" is a good example, used to mean one in ten killed/destroyed/removed, now it means almost all destroyed. I cringe every time I hear it used that way.  Just call me Canute.

44 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

No need for a big bike here in Thailand when a scooter can do the same distances but at a safer speed.

Just imagine how much fun it would be to ride CNX to SIN on my PCX ... None

My Dyna - easy.

And what is a safer speed ? Safer for what ? And how to be safe from other drivers/riders, cows, dogs ... did I say other drivers/riders

7 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And what is a safer speed ? Safer for what ? And how to be safe from other drivers/riders, cows, dogs ... did I say other drivers/riders

That's the one real issue with a smaller bike, with a big bike there are 3 ways out of trouble; brake, dodge, accelerate. With a smaller bike you only really have the first two.  It doesn't matter so much in town, but outside it, where the road speeds are higher, acceleration and top speed matter.

Bought my PCX 5 months back, have been fully out of Pattaya once, so not so important to me. 

Horses for courses.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2018 at 8:24 AM, Moonlover said:

I also ride a click and around town it is far more suited and fun than a PCX will ever be.

As i have stated everything has a place i suppose. For a long journey a PCX/NMAX etc is where it can probably hold its head high where grandad (no offence intended)can get in his motorised armchair and pretend to be a proper biker.

I also own a CRF with many mods,anyone that claims this is a good off road bike needs their head examined, ok for riding over a few little bumps here and there but for your ageing plodders it ticks all the boxes.It will have to do until i find something more suitable. 

You mean slower = safer but that's not the case. It can be a lot safer to go faster than someone else. Try riding with your scooter in the middle of the lane at your top speed on some highways and see how happy the pickup truck and fortuners behind you will be and how they will treat you. Ok, so staying in the middle of the lane is not always the best choice. So you ride on the shoulder. Does that seem safe to you? I'd rather ride in the middle of the lane and at a safe distance from others.

Also bigger bikes have usually much better tires and brakes. And those tiny wheels on scooters are a real safety hazard when it comes to potholes or other road surface issues. Most scooters are also still sold without ABS.

I totally agree with the speed factor. When handled with common sens, a powerful bike is, in my opinion, safer than a small one.

As for the brakes, having the same brake than a big bike, I am more than happy to have it especially as the weight of maxi scooter is above 220kgs....

On 05/02/2018 at 5:41 PM, DefaultName said:

That's the one real issue with a smaller bike, with a big bike there are 3 ways out of trouble; brake, dodge, accelerate. With a smaller bike you only really have the first two.  It doesn't matter so much in town, but outside it, where the road speeds are higher, acceleration and top speed matter.

Bought my PCX 5 months back, have been fully out of Pattaya once, so not so important to me. 

Horses for courses.

That is a pretty naive view, to think you can dodge a dog (or dogs) with sheer power. 

I have encountered a number of dogs that can't make up their minds and the only safe thing to do is to slow and even stop. If you enjoy the buzz of Russian roulette, go for it not me.

Then there are the dogs at the side of the road, that just decide to take off across the road, if you are into speed you chances of a close encounter are much greater.

The one exception is if you ride a dirt bike as I do, I haven't decided how larger dog I could hit, make it over and stay on. Be interested to see a TV survey. 

I have decided I can't hit a cow and stay on.....but my riding skills are only average.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1