Beach holiday.

malt25

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Phuket ten times worse than Pattaya ? You must be joking if you are talking about beaches , or youve never visited Phuket !( no, I don’t live there) . Stop talking crap, apart from Patong ,  there are many lovely beaches where the water is blue and clean, the sand clean as possible, and when you go for a lovely stroll in the evening there’s are no packs of rats running everywhere looking for the waste food thrown by all the Thais who picnic on the beach ! For other information, yes, there’s Krabi also, and Kao Lak to the north of Phuket. Koh Chang has lovely beaches and a clean beautiful blue sea, easy to get to by bus or car. Phuket also has very cheap flights with Air Asia . Cha am and Hua Hin do NOT  have nice beaches or beautiful blue seas, but are near to BKK. 

what about phi phi ???

Op you never mentioned your starting point (i.e. Bangkok ?)

Possibly the nicest options for the price: No one has yet mentioned Koh Lanta....  Easy enough to fly to Krabi, hire a Car and drive down and take the Ferry across to Koh Lanta - there are numerous beaches to choose from. White Sands Beach is probably the best beach, but its also the busiest. 

The Quietest and Nicest options for the Price: Also, Koh Kut.... It will take you longer to get there, but it will be quieter and more of a traditional 'Island beach holiday', accommodation is more reasonably priced. 

The Most Convenient: The Beaches in Hua Hin and Cha-am are quite ropey in comparison. Pranburi is an option, beaches are 'ok' and it is always quieter there but the resorts can be a little more pricey as they tend to offer more privacy for the 'Bangkok' visitors. 

The Most Convenient with good beaches: Koh Samet is also a decent option for convenience. Beaches are 'very good'... Sai Keaw beach is often very busy with Chinese tourists and the accommodation is relatively expensive as its so close to Bangkok and so easy to get to. Further down the Island there are quieter beaches such as Ao Wong Deuan (Samet Cabana has beach front bungalows which are quite nice, it also has a pool). However, as Samet is close to Bangkok its always a little busy, but once on the beach it quietens down a bit until the evenings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Are you twelve years old? 

No. Twelve year olds as well as 80 year olds don't think of hundreds and hundreds of people all dying within minutes of each other in a small area a fun place to holiday.  I know many Scandinavians who never returned there as well because of the tsunami and many people think they are mature. Even Patong, Karon and Kamala had way less deaths and injuries because they are not backed up to cliffs like Khao Lak. It's really death beach.  No go.

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

There is no where else in Thailand that I think of worse than Khao Lak with all the people that died there in the tsunami. One place in Thailand that for sure has ghosts. The true stories of the survivors are horrible as well.  No go. Thai people almost always won't holiday there. 

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Are you twelve years old? 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

No. Twelve year olds as well as 80 year olds don't think of hundreds and hundreds of people all dying within minutes of each other in a small area a fun place to holiday.  I know many Scandinavians who never returned there as well because of the tsunami and many people think they are mature. Even Patong, Karon and Kamala had way less deaths and injuries because they are not backed up to cliffs like Khao Lak. It's really death beach.  No go.

The part highlighted is the one that grownups normally don't believe in. It may be spooky vacationing where you know hundreds of people perished, but ghosts...?

1 minute ago, MrY said:

The part highlighted is the one that grownups normally don't believe in. It may be spooky vacationing where you know hundreds of people perished, but ghosts...?

A higher percentage of adults believe in ghosts than children. Google it. 

4 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

A higher percentage of adults believe in ghosts than children. Google it. 

"A higher percentage of adults believe in ghosts than children" brings up a lot of results about Americans on Google. Are they the 'children' you are referring to?

In comparison, "A higher percentage of Christians believe in God than Atheists" on the other hand brings up some interesting stuff!

8 minutes ago, MrY said:

"A higher percentage of adults believe in ghosts than children" brings up a lot of results about Americans on Google. Are they the 'children' you are referring to?

In comparison, "A higher percentage of Christians believe in God than Atheists" on the other hand brings up some interesting stuff!

Try a European search many interesting stories and believers. Khao Lak has many stories as well from locals and Europeans since the tsunami and none before. Your evil jenni is getting to you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geisha said:

Phuket ten times worse than Pattaya ? You must be joking if you are talking about beaches , or youve never visited Phuket !( no, I don’t live there) . Stop talking crap, apart from Patong ,  there are many lovely beaches where the water is blue and clean, the sand clean as possible, and when you go for a lovely stroll in the evening there’s are no packs of rats running everywhere looking for the waste food thrown by all the Thais who picnic on the beach ! For other information, yes, there’s Krabi also, and Kao Lak to the north of Phuket. Koh Chang has lovely beaches and a clean beautiful blue sea, easy to get to by bus or car. Phuket also has very cheap flights with Air Asia . Cha am and Hua Hin do NOT  have nice beaches or beautiful blue seas, but are near to BKK. 

OP only has 4 days. No time to be spending most of a day travelling as to Chang.

That's why I never recommended Lanta or Krabi.

5 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Try a European search many interesting stories and believers. Khao Lak has many stories as well from locals and Europeans since the tsunami and none before. Your evil jenni is getting to you. 

"European search"? I use the Google non-regional search everywhere I go. Not some 'American' search (other than Google itself being from there). It's just that any search about anything supernatural brings up mostly Americans. And pray tell what is "evil jenni"?

7 minutes ago, MrY said:

"European search"? I use the Google non-regional search everywhere I go. Not some 'American' search (other than Google itself being from there). It's just that any search about anything supernatural brings up mostly Americans. And pray tell what is "evil jenni"?

Think he means "jinn"

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I asked if Cha Am was better than H H because I would go there if it was. Just saying that any beach is better doesn't give me confidence it's worth my time.

I think I'll take Ninni's advice.

Er, ok.

Not worth your time? Hell there is 10 minutes and 15 kms separating the two public beaches between HH and CA, but whatever...

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I asked if Cha Am was better than H H because I would go there if it was. Just saying that any beach is better doesn't give me confidence it's worth my time.

I think I'll take Ninni's advice.

Er, ok.

Not worth your time? Hell there is 10 minutes and 15 kms separating the two public beaches between HH and CA, but whatever...

On 1/31/2018 at 4:42 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I never got to Cha Am. Is the beach better than Hua Hin?

At the Holiday Inn Cha Am or whatever it is called these days, the beach disappears at high tide

Hua Hin is much better.

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

At the Holiday Inn Cha Am or whatever it is called these days, the beach disappears at high tide

Hua Hin is much better.

Seriously? Hua Hin  beach is encroached by all the big condos well below high tide line, which is illegal, but they must pay large in H H. Even where there is a beach at high tide, in front of the Hilton, the sea is almost to the sea wall, and there are horses pooping all over it.

From the photos on google images at least there is a beach at Cha Am. It has jet skiis there though, so I won't be visiting. I hate jet skiis.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

During the weekends Cha Am beach gets completely trashed by the local hordes from Bangkok. They clean by the morning, but it definitely is not what I would call 'pristine'. The one time we visited Hua Hin beach we just turned away. Trashed too. You need to go to resort beaches to find clean waterfront and even then there is trash floating in from elsewhere. Water is a bit murky too until you get further away from Bangkok. Best beaches within a days travel from Bangkok start south of Hua Hin (Like Sam Roi Yot beach) or similar distance to the east (past Sattahip).

• Like 1

As an earlier poster mentioned. Mae phim is worth a look and fairly local if travelling from bkk. The beach there is narrow and when we were there it was hardly used. Going there shortly again. Some nice apartments to be had for aproximately £200 for a week which are 25 metres from beach, sea view and rooftop swimming pool. Not sure about the night market requirement. I'll second lanta too but for only 4 days that's a bit far if from bkk or furthet and you really need a week to 10 days minimum to explore all lanta has to offer. Be advantageous if you like riding too.

Edited by Rc2702

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Have a look at Bang Saen. http://www.smilinginthailand.com/east-coast-provinces/chonburi/beaches/bang-saen.html

The "beach" has various forms along the 5km length, I prefer the promenade section. Can get a bit busy on holidays and event times.

Bang Saen is OK if you don't actually go in the water... Occasional trash dumps into the nearby Prachinburi (?) river can ruin you visit. We go there sometimes for the seafood, even though the main beach is getting to be a ripoff. (There are good seaside restaurants out of town.)  It is still best to go far enough from Bangkok to leave the pollution and the weekend crowd destinations behind.

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

Thanks all for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Go to Ko Chang. Nice beaches, not ruined by tourism yet and good food. The day trips are good and good waterfall in middle of island. They even have Isaan food which you don't see on southern islands.

• Like 1