Prawit pledges to resign ‘if people don’t want him’

webfact

Prawit pledges to resign ‘if people don’t want him’

By The Nation

24da17acc14ae6a83a99ef527d29ac41.jpeg

The defiant Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has promised to quit if people do not want him to stay.

“I have served the country for 50 years [as a military officer and minister]. Do you think if I have done anything to ruin the country? I want to work for the country. If people don’t want me to, I’m ready to leave my post,” he said during a luncheon with Defence Ministry officials, Armed Forces officials and journalists at the ministry in a New Year celebration.

Prawit has been seen as a lightning rod for Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s government. Prayut, who is Prawit’s junior military classmate, has been pressured to suspend his right-hand man from the post after the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) initiated an investigation of Prawit’s possession of about 25 luxury watches, some of which reportedly cost Bt3 million.

Prawit declared assets of about Bt83 million to the NACC when he joined Prayut’s government in 2014, but failed to declare the watches he has been seen wearing since late last year.

In the course of the investigation, he told the anti-graft agency that friends had been lent him the watches, although the explanation was widely criticised by regime critics and the general public. At present, it appears that the NACC will accept the excuse, which would mean that Prawit was not obligated to declare the watches.

Prawit also said his ministry had supported the government for almost four years and maintained security and order in the country.

However, there were some groups of people trying to accuse the government of failing to perform, he said, adding that the government would fight against such opposition.

Prawit also referred to Prayut’s recent visits to the provinces, which were seen by critics as the premier seeking political support from voters.

“The premier just wants to take care of people. He will not contest the election so do not playing politics with him,” Prawit said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30337619

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-31

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems the NIDA poll shows already that people want him to leave.. or at least don't believe him. 

Why not be brave and ask for a poll on the subject and tie your career to it. 

I doubt it will happen, but i can always dream. 

Besides i would rather see him investigated for corruption.. but that wont happen.

Resign yes, but also held to account and prosecuted for any wrong doing 

This Junta started out well with its fight on corruption but it seems it has failed to apply the rules and law equally.

This is why the people have called you out, when it comes to corruption you might turn out to be just as bad as the crowd you removed - so what was the point

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

“I have served the country for 50 years [as a military officer and minister]. Do you think if I have done anything to ruin the country? I want to work for the country. If people don’t want me to, I’m ready to leave my post,”

so leave, what is the big mystery ? he is an old corrupt general, Not the type to lead this place positively

28 minutes ago, smedly said:

This Junta started out well with its fight on corruption but it seems it has failed to apply the rules and law equally.

This is why the people have called you out, when it comes to corruption you might turn out to be just as bad as the crowd you removed - so what was the point

There's a big difference between fighting and stopping corruption vs. simply changing those who are in charge of and benefiting most from it.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

If people don’t want me to, I’m ready to leave my post,” he said during a luncheon with Defence Ministry officials, Armed Forces officials and journalists at the ministry in a New Year celebration.

Wasn't that dinner hours ago? How come he hasn't lived up to his word and resigned? Since he knows that people don't want him to do anything in the name of Thailand . . . he knows that and his pretence not to know that is a perpetual lie. Both he and his boss simply do not appreciate the significance of truth and righteousness. Lying doesn't trouble them at all . . . evil men, the pair of them.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Resign yes, but also held to account and prosecuted for any wrong doing 

It didn't start out well at all

It started with the chief giving stern warnings to journalists who were interested in his personal wealth

Then it progressed onto nepotism when all the top jobs went to his old mates and brother 

They might have dug up some dirt, but only related to the opposition....

And now we have watches.... :smile: