Video: Dramatic moment as pick-up overturns after oncoming car refuses to pull in

webfact

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

Based on my personal experience, had I been the dashcam driver I believe an involuntary reflex would have caused me to slam hard on the brakes, grip the steering wheel firmly and continue straight ahead in my lane. This would have reduced the force of the impact considerably and I suspect my vehicle would not have been flipped but merely pushed back by the oncoming vehicle.

Your suggesting a head on collision that actually sends your vehicle into reverse?

It is quite possible that his best maneuver was hard acceleration, but of course that depends on a lot of unknowns. That course of action saved me once when a guy had lost control and came over to my lane sideways. Had I braked I would have ate his whole truck.

But generally  when I see a bit of odd or aggressive driving my foot automatically comes of the accelerator and begins to feather the brake while I also drift to the edge of my lane. 

• Thanks 1

'...they expect you to get out of their way...'

Yep, I think we've all had this experience or similar whilst driving here and we're all equally appalled by many of the drivers here and the incredible risks they take.

Sad but true- it's just another day on Thai roads.  :sad:

On 2/1/2018 at 4:25 AM, Odysseus123 said:

I saw this sort of behaviour going on all the time when I lived in Thailand.

I was only forced off the road once-but once was enough.

Still happens regularly around here. Those overtaking seem to think everyone else must make way for them and slow down, move over, or stop. Anything as long as they're not inconvenienced!

On 2/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, digger70 said:

Forget the investigation a Blind person can see who's wrong,,,,the overtaking white vehicle ,Shouldn't have overtaken if the road was not Clear/safe/// Always could have slowed and pulled back behind the vehicle he Tried to overtake,,the Thais may see it Different,,,But hey that's Their Country,,,   Amen.

THis is why road safety is in such a mess in Thailand - this poster has looked at a video and thinks that descibing what he sees is the be-all and end all.....firstly and most importantly he has made no attempt to find out WHY this happened.

11 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

THis is why road safety is in such a mess in Thailand - this poster has looked at a video and thinks that descibing what he sees is the be-all and end all.....firstly and most importantly he has made no attempt to find out WHY this happened.

Really?  No one out there in TV land has anything to say about this?  Wow, I'm surprised.

• Haha 1

A possible reason for the overtaking vehicle's strange stance on the road is that he was annoyed because the oncoming driver flashed his lights (if indeed he did) and therefore tried to bully him off the road.  I know it sounds extreme and cynical, but having been driving here for over a decade, I'm starting to see some very intimidating and life-threatening driving on the part of egotistical locals.

Sometimes with their mentality, I feel they can't cope with the embarrasment of being in the wrong.  Anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?  Fifteen years ago when I first came here, most of them were driving old and slow pick-ups, but now the new generation don't have the driving skills, or the good manners and sensible thinking, to command powerful motors.

I see some very strange driving practices now, almost like you'd expect a young child to do, in order to spite another.

1 hour ago, chaihot said:

Really?  No one out there in TV land has anything to say about this?  Wow, I'm surprised.

After a while it becomes obvious that you will make more progress by banging your noggin against the nearest brick wall

This member is our resident road safety expert / authority

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, oldlakey said:

After a while it becomes obvious that you will make more progress by banging your noggin against the nearest brick wall

This member is our resident road safety expert / authority

I am not an expert, I refer to the research and papers written by authorities on road safety rather than make up baseless assumptions myself.

• 9 months later...
On 2/1/2018 at 5:06 AM, gunderhill said:

Had exactly the same  thing happen myself  with the same result.

Geeeee! Must have not flashed his headlights...

It seems when they do that you are supposed to get out of their way. How arrogant. 

Edited by Longcut

On 2/3/2018 at 5:21 AM, Happyman58 said:

Yep i agree Drive like Thais do Speed, Tailgate, Dont indicate, Drive up middle of road. Drive up wrong side of road., Pull out without checking mirrors Drive through red lights Text while driving, Drink drive, Drive with no lights on, Do U-turns when sign say no u-turns, Have no license, Drive with un roadworthy vehicle, Drive in left lane reserved for motor bikes Have i missed any?

Not sure but you've got me thinking.

Play with the radio, watch your favourite 'soap' on a dasboard TV.

On 2/1/2018 at 2:42 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

This is not shocking news  it is every day news Thai people can't drive and will probably never learn it 

Driving is mostly about common sense, and most Thais just do not have that.