Airport director hits back: Don Mueang has no taxi mafia!

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The director of operations at Bangkok's number two airport Don Mueang has hit back at suggestions that they are running a taxi mafia.

Suthirarat Suwannawat said that everything is above board and for the benefit of passengers.

But he has said that next year the busy airport will be adopting a new system more like that in operation at Suvarnabhumi.

Claims made by the Office of the Auditor General that irregular charges were being demanded were nonsense, he said. A report for the Auditor General is being prepared.

Suthirarat said that taxi drivers were required to pay 100 baht at his airport to register. They got a card with a chip that helped track who they were and ensured the safety of the travelling public, he said.

He admitted they were charged a 10 baht "parking fee" each time they picked up passengers. This was because the airport itself rented a holding area from another agency where cars parked before they were needed to pick up passengers.

It was not possible for drivers just to arrive and pick up passengers as there needed to be a system in place to ensure order.

There was no truth to rumors that drivers were charged 50 baht for first time use of the airport.

"There is no mafia operation here," he said. "It is all above board and for the benefit of passenger safety and convenience".

He added that there were changes in the air, however. A new system modeled on what happens at Suvarnabhumi is set to be introduced at the end of the year.

Tenders for two separate operators of the new system are being requested from April.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-06
  • Haha 1

the system at DMK and BKK seem about the same to me, although DMK tends to have longer wait periods.  you get a number and wait for it to be called at DMK.  at BKK, you get a number and walk to where the taxi is parked (i've never had to wait).

edit:  and i've never had a 'no meter' problem.

Edited by buick
  • Like 2

How long it has been … since 2013 for sure. I either take the transfer bus from Don Muang to The Swamp. If I head into town it is the A1 bus to the Moh Chit.   BTS station and sky train from there.

I have no clue about mafia but based on ugly past experience I never take a taxi. So do the locals and the independent Chinese tourists who have been advised to AVOID all taxis so the A1 is full most of the time.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Try taking an Uber from DMK. It arrives 2 mins after you file the request with the Uber app, and, surprise surprise, it's an AOT car and you're now paying a fixed fee of 1000 baht to go to Ram Intra!

And Uber Thailand bury their heads like ostriches if you try to complain.

Of course there's no mafia at Don Muang! Much!

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

And if you mention "taxi mafia" again I'll have your legs broken.

Paraphrasing Mayor Carmine De Pasto.

He can claim forever that there is no taxi mafia at DM airport.

But lets' get to the real point, he does fail severely in regard to repeatedly having arriving families many with tired little kids waiting for 1 to 2 hours, and more, to get a taxi.  And repeatedly only 3 of the 6 assignment desks are manned. 

And given the above, he insults the intelligence of the public with his comments about changing the system next year. 

(Yes you can go to the departure level and possibly pick up a taxi there, but the actual system in place is a failure and someone should be punished.) 

FAIL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last time i arrived at DMK around midnight, there were 100-150 people in the queue waiting for a taxi.

So i walked outside to find a taxi which just brought passengers to the airport, they asked an extreme price....all 3 of them....even when i spoke thai to them.

They did it right in front of the guards who also couldn't care at all.

So i went back to the qeueu and lost another hour there before i could go home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

DMK is a cakewalk. Just go upstairs to departures. Cabs who are dropping people off will gladly take you. Don't worry about the police, they ignore you. It also means that you don't need to queue with newbies and tourists.

Presumably there is some kind of mafia, because the police ignore the pick-ups system. There were warnings of a clamp-down about 4 yrs ago, but nothing happened.

The same thing can still be done at Swampy, but it's more difficult because of the turnstiles upstairs. Still, it's not impossible if you are nimble and you hand your bags to a waiting cabbie.

Eddy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But he has said that next year the busy airport will be adopting a new system more like that in operation at Suvarnabhumi.

You mean like the one where the taxi drivers cover their meter with a cloth until a local or Thai speaking foreigners steps into the car? :saai:

• Like 1

I am a single traveller who is able to pick my own time of arrival.  During a recent series of visits to Bangkok I have always arrived in the early afternoon.  The official DMK taxi rank works well at that time, I have had no meter issues or long waits and I have experienced no Mafia problems.  In the light of such a good service, I tip well and ask that they do not mess with the current system.  No complaints (so far) except for the driving but TIT!!