Video: Pick-up slams into back of high end BMW that "couldn't be left in neutral" at parking lot

webfact

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I was one boxed in, but the security guard had a rolling jack and moved the car in less than 5 min. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I've seen that as well, they put the jack under the engine so the oilpan cracked and all oil dripped on the floor in the parkinglot....the owner of the car sued the security for that so i saw him re-enacting the whole sitation while loads of people were watching.

They didn't give him a course how to use that jack i bet...

• Haha 2

I don't care if it was only going to be 15 minutes. You don't know the schedule of the person you are blocking.

If you cannot find a spot then you keep looking until one opens.

As a disabled person (I have limited mobility but can drive) I also get upset when I arrive and find all the disabled person slots taken by non-disabled persons. I find that often they are taken by persons just because they are usually closer to the entrances.

If you often drive someone who is disabled but you are not just get a disabled placard that you can insert into your windshield when you do.

• Like 1

I have never in my life owned or driven a car that couldn't be put in neutral.  Now I have to admit I've never owned a BMW but I cannot for the life of me understand why they would build a car in this manner.........anyone know the purpose of this seemingly idiotic mechanical masterpiece?

9 minutes ago, TGIR said:

I have never in my life owned or driven a car that couldn't be put in neutral.  Now I have to admit I've never owned a BMW but I cannot for the life of me understand why they would build a car in this manner.........anyone know the purpose of this seemingly idiotic mechanical masterpiece?

Have to agree! What is the procedure due to an accident or mechanical failure:-

How is it towed or even winched up onto a flat bed truck?

BTW What is with this BS parking arrangement! I'll tell you what it is = the Thais are just too effin lazy to walk any distance. I see it every day in our Amphor where they Double Park to save a 10 metre walk from an available parking space!

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Good.  If your car really can't be left in neutral then drive around until you find a space that you can reverse into and doesn't block other cars.

Of course but isnt it amazing that you even have to explain the obvious??

37 minutes ago, TGIR said:

My last 3 cars could not be left in Neutral, perhaps this is more common in European cars, while Japanese cars more commonly have the 'Neutral Parking' feature. 

I always thought it was to ensure safety i.e. that the car could not roll away, that it couldn't be engaged easily to prevent people from parking so it could roll away etc....  

These Cars (BMW) can be placed into Neutral - its just not a simple process you would use daily.

Edited by richard_smith237

6 minutes ago, amdy2206 said:

He should not have left it there and blocked someone in. Absolutely no consideration for others. 

Agreed... but unfortunately this lack of consideration is widespread. 

This issue has been debated quite heavily on the Thai forum Pantip.com with some suggesting that it was ok because he left a note on his car that he'd only be 15 mins...    Of course, most agreed on how antisocial the behavior of both drivers was while heavily criticizing the driver of the BWM for his anti-social and careless parking.....  

However, the concerning part for me is the number of people who considered this behavior (Parking and blocking others) as being OK because he left a note as if that makes everything OK...

Its the same behavior as those pulling up to a 7-11, turning on their hazard lights and blocking a lane of traffic because they want to do some quick shopping.... I've been in the car with a friends Wife when she did this very thing. When I criticized her that she was going to block traffic if she remained where she is her response.....  "So What!"... I was astounded, but it helped me understand much of what I see around me. 

• Like 1

Not sure I buy this story.  The man in the pick-up made no attempt to move the BMW.  If he really deliberately drove into and shunted the BMW to get out of the carpark, why did he stop and get out to look at the damage on his car?  No ranting and raving just concern over the damage to his car.  My guess would be he thought he could miss the rear end of the Beemer and miss-judged it.  Then he wasn't going to admit it and lose face.  Seen that scenario many times in Thailand.

1 hour ago, TGIR said:

Design feature over ride system.... or are you referencing the bmw?

1 hour ago, TGIR said:

I have.  A BMW 5 series Touring and a Range Rover that could only be left in neutral if you applied the hand brake.  They are safety features.  Also a Volvo  that screamed at me  if I tried to get out of the car without the hand brake being on!

As for the joy of Thai parking practice :smile:.  I parked my car at Chiang Mai airport some years ago while meeting someone off of a flight.  I parked in line and left the car in neutral and the hand brake off.  When I returned, the car in front had been pushed back into mine and consequently my car was pushed back into the car behind me.  The car in front had driven off and I was left to deal with the irate driver returning to his car.  Didn't do that again!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

But the pick-up driver got angry about being hemmed in and did not contact him or wait.

She said that the police were not interested in a complaint

not surprising behavior here; neither the person committing the crime nor the un-interest by the police

BTW, my toyota automatic has the same behavior, cannot leave it free-wheeling in neutral unless car engine  is running

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What would you prefer then? Arrive at the shopping center just to find out that all spaces are occupied so you have to turn around and go home?

You could of course also just take the MRT next time and leave the parking to everybody else.

Or the people who build these places could plan it properly and provide enough parking places for the customers they want to attract. But parking places don't make money so they don't, and they are too dumb to realise that if people can't find a place to park then they'll go somewhere else and perhaps never return. You know, an appreciation of cause and effect that isn't common here.

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or the people who build these places could plan it properly and provide enough parking places for the customers they want to attract. But parking places don't make money so they don't, and they are too dumb to realise that if people can't find a place to park then they'll go somewhere else and perhaps never return. You know, an appreciation of cause and effect that isn't common here.

Fortune Town, MBK and some of the other older shopping centers were build a couple of eons ago. Bit hard for the building designers to predict the first car tax rebate scheme 10 years into the future.