Where then?

davetrout

Naaaahhhhh ..... if you don’t like Pattaya - please leave .

The OPEN door point North to BKK-SUV and BKK-DMK .

no need to close the door behind you .

IF and WHEN ... you find a good / better place in S.E.Asia

please let us know . give us a “ cost comparison “ and

” bureaucratic ease “ comparison . 

Thank you for your effort ......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg1947 said:

Naaaahhhhh ..... if you don’t like Pattaya - please leave .

The OPEN door point North to BKK-SUV and BKK-DMK .

no need to close the door behind you .

IF and WHEN ... you find a good / better place in S.E.Asia

please let us know . give us a “ cost comparison “ and

” bureaucratic ease “ comparison . 

Thank you for your effort ......

They have. People bash it from elsewhere.

• Like 1

Pattaya is not that cheap compared to the rest of Thailand. I think it is very expensive compared to the country. Phuket, Hua Hin, and some areas of Rayong might fit what you are looking for in a destination. Pattaya to me is the armpit of Thailand, and I personally cannot understand why anyone would holiday there except for the sex. The beach is a smelly mess, the beer is overpriced, as well as most of the food. If you are looking for shear numbers and quality of sex workers, then it is probably the best place to go. 

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

Pattaya is not that cheap compared to the rest of Thailand. I think it is very expensive compared to the country. Phuket, Hua Hin, and some areas of Rayong might fit what you are looking for in a destination. Pattaya to me is the armpit of Thailand, and I personally cannot understand why anyone would holiday there except for the sex. The beach is a smelly mess, the beer is overpriced, as well as most of the food. If you are looking for shear numbers and quality of sex workers, then it is probably the best place to go. 

Phuket/HH are more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

Pattaya is what you make it, there will always be the good, the bad and the ugly.

When I first came to live here my wife's family perceived it as a cesspit and not for decent folk. Now they are quite happy to go for the day, nice buffet breakfast at the LK Empress and peruse the markets, we were there Sunday and I took some liquid refreshment in the Greenery bar, 60 baht for  a large Chang, if it was any cheaper you would be on the steps of 7 eleven.

The weekend before last we were in Hua Hin and if there is anything cheaper than Pattaya, it is not that obvious, can cost an arm and a leg just to get about.

One of the great things about Pattaya and Bang Saen for anyone on a budget is that you can get about on baht cabs for next to nothing.

HH resorts and seafood restaurants are a ripoff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, Ahab said:

Why are you comparing Pattaya to the country? There is no comparison whatsoever, not even close.

Phuket is such a revolting hole since decades that I refuse to even go there anymore.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why are you comparing Pattaya to the country? There is no comparison whatsoever, not even close.

Phuket is such a revolting hole since decades that I refuse to even go there anymore.

Perhaps it is because the OP referenced that city in his original post and I was replying to his post. Concur with you comment on Phuket. I have found some amazing remote beaches in Thailand and have zero interest in Phuket.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Transport in H H sucks of the most suckiest that I ever found in a so called tourist resort.

Mind you, I haven't been back to Samui in a few years and I understand their round the island songtheaws are a rip off now. The taxis always were.

We went to Samui about 15 months ago and had been warned about the taxis so hired a car for most of the week. Got the car from the airport and when we took it back the day before leaving, the girl on the desk offered to run us back to the hotel a couple of miles away for 300 baht, said it would be half the price of a taxi.

Been there, wouldn't go back.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 7:07 PM, Ahab said:

Pattaya still loves you, in spite of your self-loathing and negativity!  That's what is so great about it!

9 hours ago, norrska said:

Pattaya still loves you, in spite of your self-loathing and negativity!  That's what is so great about it!

And loves you so much it wants you to be happy by just leaving and forgetting all about it. Some have what it takes to become a cesspoolian; others just don't, bye.

On 10/02/2018 at 2:33 PM, Guderian said:

Try Angeles City, after a few weeks there you'll think Pattaya is wonderful again.

I have always enjoyed AC and think it is an OK alternative to Pats.

The "food is bad" is stupid as there are many alternatives to local food just walk around the malls and see all the western places.  There is no beach but so what.

I rent a motorbike, play golf, go to the gym, walk the malls, go to the movie, visit the VFW meet some great folks and hear some interesting stories.  And of course, I find the girls there sweet speaking English and more then willing to please.  Seems many enjoy LT more then the current Pats ladies.

If the stated problem is some crime exaggeration, I have never had a problem walk around the place at all hours.

Many fulltimers there former military that love the place.

Will be going back during Songran and looking forward to it.

PS:  One other thing.  There are no Chinese or tour buses, no Russians or Arabs in significant numbers I have seen.  The only Asians are mostly Koreans and some Japanese.  

Edited by bkk6060

11 hours ago, norrska said:

Loathing someplace that I do not prefer to be is not "self loathing", there was a healthy dose of deserved negativity in that post though. If you like Pattaya more power to you, but it is not someplace I would choose to go in Thailand. I definitely would not fly halfway around the world to vacation in that place, but if that is your choice go for it.

6 hours ago, newnative said:

So, why are you even posting about it if you loathe it and will never visit?  Do you post about all the cities in the World that you loathe?  Posts like yours continue to puzzle me.  Why does lil 'ol Pattaya warrant your time?

Who said I had never visited Pattaya. I have been there three times, I don't loathe Pattaya, I just don't like it. If you like it, great but it is not my cup of tea. Read the original post in this thread and you might get a clue as to why I am talking about Pattaya in my post. The original post was asking about .....wait for it....Pattaya and other possible destinations in Thailand. 

Lil 'ol Pattaya does not warrant my time, did I mention I don't like it.

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have always enjoyed AC and think it is an OK alternative to Pats.

The "food is bad" is stupid as there are many alternatives to local food just walk around the malls and see all the western places.  There is no beach but so what.

I rent a motorbike, play golf, go to the gym, walk the malls, go to the movie, visit the VFW meet some great folks and hear some interesting stories.  And of course, I find the girls there sweet speaking English and more then willing to please.  Seems many enjoy LT more then the current Pats ladies.

If the stated problem is some crime exaggeration, I have never had a problem walk around the place at all hours.

Many fulltimers there former military that love the place.

Will be going back during Songran and looking forward to it.

PS:  One other thing.  There are no Chinese or tour buses, no Russians or Arabs in significant numbers I have seen.  The only Asians are mostly Koreans and some Japanese.  

Alot of people dont like shopping mall fast food.  Also walking around a shopping mall for entertainment is not everyone's cup of tea. It grows old real fast, unless you are going there for the free aircon.

Edited by norrska

21 minutes ago, norrska said:

Alot of people dont like shopping mall fast food.  Also walking around a shopping mall for entertainment is not everyone's cup of tea. It grows old real fast, unless you are going there for the free aircon.

Is Central mall or any large mall all fast food??  There are many restaurants fast food is a small component.

Modern movie theatres, coffee shops, markets.  Yes, some people like to spend a few hours walking around.

A big plus the malls in AC are also a gold mine for girl watching and meeting.  But, may not be your thing either.

Seems obvious you have no clue as you have never been there.

Edited by bkk6060