Another Chinese tour bus crash on notorious Patong Hill

webfact

Another Chinese tour bus crash on notorious Patong Hill

When emergency responders arrived to the scene, they found Chinese tourists climbing through a emergency window out of the bus.

By Tim Newton

image_123986672-1.jpg

A Chinese tour bus has collided with a car and a motorcycle then ended up slamming into the barrier walls at the bottom of the hill, on the final turn before reaching the temple at the bottom.

Just before midnight last night (February 13), Patong Police received an accident report, the cause allegedly to brake failure, resulting in 5 injured.

There were 35 tourists in the bus heading back to Patong from Phuket Town. The incident happened just after 11.30 last night at the final curve heading down Patong Hill into Patong. When emergency responders arrived to the scene, they found Chinese tourists climbing through a emergency window out of the bus.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/another-chinese-tour-bus-crash-notorious-patong-hill

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-02-14

Unless people are dead, another bus crash on the hill barely raises interest for many. These buses are going to continue mounting the hills surrounding Patong, and losing their brakes, despite bans at certain times.

I really think the only way to get them off the steep hill roads is to dig the tunnel through the hill, despite opposition from many.

• Like 1

Thai female, Chinese tourists injured in Patong Hill bus crash

Eakkapop Thongtub

1518577908_1-org.jpg

The bus came to a stop when hitting a concrete barrier at the final curve of Patong Hill on the descent into Patong. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A Thai woman sustained serious injuries while four Chinese tourists suffered minor injuries when a tour bus’ brakes failed and collided with a car and a motorbike on Patong Hill last night (Feb 13).

Lt Col Teerasak Boonsang of the Patong Police was notified of an incident near Sea Pearl Villa Resort at 11pm.

Kusoldharm Rescue workers and Patong Hospital medical staff arrived at the scene to find a white Phuket-registered “Uten Gladnakha” tour bus crashed into a concrete barrier at the final curve of Patong Hill on the descent into Patong.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-female-chinese-tourists-injured-in-patong-hill-bus-crash-65964.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-14

33 minutes ago, Thian said:

A brake booster exploded and I could not brake.

Was it a Chinese brand bus? I have never heard of exploding brake boosters in the West.

Many of them made in a country further east and north of Thailand, guess where, sell for 50 dollars so may not be made of the best quality materials etc. Maybe thinner material and prone to rust.

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, nikmar said:

Ive told my son to make a career fixing brakes. He ll be retired by the time  he's 35.

Judging by the number of failures, maybe he wouldn't get any business? Well, at least very few maintenance orders.

Someone ought to set up some bleachers and sell tickets, have a concession stand.

5 hours ago, Lingba said:

Of course..another brake failure...the main reason why Thailand is ranked the worst traffic country in the world ....its simply the brakes and nothing else

I think Id...err fatalisitc drivers has a lot to do with it.

22 hours ago, Thian said:

A brake booster exploded and I could not brake.

Was it a Chinese brand bus? I have never heard of exploding brake boosters in the West.

Cheap material or fake products. Busses usually can climb mountains several 1000 m high but in Phuket a tiny hill causes already fatal problems. How deep is the sleep of the government officials?

19 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

I'm not from Phuket - could they install a couple runaway truck ramps to any benefit?

They have actually talked about installing one on that hill, but it's unclear where they could find room to place it. And runaway buses would probably have to drive over the rop of bumper to bumper traffic to get to it. 

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

They have actually talked about installing one on that hill, but it's unclear where they could find room to place it. And runaway buses would probably have to drive over the rop of bumper to bumper traffic to get to it. 

There is very little space at the bottom of the hill, where these accidents often happen. Bottom left corner. They already installed a thick concrete wall to stop runaway busses and trucks.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/KdrjZtWNDUA2

5a864a1580d41_Screenshot2018-02-1610_02_52.png.dc68148c56ef62929ba595885ecbd244.png

29 minutes ago, oilinki said:

There is very little space at the bottom of the hill, where these accidents often happen. Bottom left corner. They already installed a thick concrete wall to stop runaway busses and trucks.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/KdrjZtWNDUA2

5a864a1580d41_Screenshot2018-02-1610_02_52.png.dc68148c56ef62929ba595885ecbd244.png

But unfortunately any other vehicle trapped in the way gets squashed between bus and strong wall.