Dating Despair: Why dating in Bangkok is hard for Thai women

webfact

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously if we talk to Thai women who like to talk with foreigners there is a high chance that they tell us they don't like Thai men because they are lazy, etc. - because that is exactly what we like to hear.

Absolutely true.  It's the old "I no like Thai man, only like farang" classic, which is what they teach in Bargirl 101.  One would have to be pretty naive to fall for that line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many Thai men are really like this. Obviously if we talk to Thai women who like to talk with foreigners there is a high chance that they tell us they don't like Thai men because they are lazy, etc. - because that is exactly what we like to hear. And probably that is their personal experience.

But there are also many Thai women out there who don't talk much or not at all with foreigners. I guess some or even many of them have a Thai partner. And they don't tell if they are happy with him.

You're right. There are loads of normal hard working Thai men who aren't lazy drunks that need looking after. I always think the women who have grown up more westernised in their interests, with a good command of English etc will be more likely to date a wider variety of people, and not just stick to their own kind.  

One thing that I have been told by Thai women before, some of whom only really date Thai men, is that they can be very untrustworthy. Not to say the foreigners are angels, but the culture here definitely still has a common practice of giks or mia nois.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think many of them want just a normal husband.

No such beast exists.

I'm always puzzled by the term "dating". Is it just taking a woman out somewhere and a hug/ kiss on the cheek goodnight, or is it taking a woman out somewhere and a happy ending but sleeping in different houses?

I have checked with Wikipedia, but it does not clarify, merely saying it "varies in different countries" and "couples may or may not be having sexual relations".

I'm interested to hear what people in the real world think it is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No such beast exists.

I'm always puzzled by the term "dating". Is it just taking a woman out somewhere and a hug/ kiss on the cheek goodnight, or is it taking a woman out somewhere and a happy ending but sleeping in different houses?

I have checked with Wikipedia, but it does not clarify, merely saying it "varies in different countries" and "couples may or may not be having sexual relations".

I think it's pretty obvious: It's about a possible couple going out together. They might kiss, they might have sex, or they might not because one or both of them find out that they and not compatible to each other.

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's pretty obvious: It's about a possible couple going out together. They might kiss, they might have sex, or they might not because one or both of them find out that they and not compatible to each other.

It's not obvious. Even Wikipedia can't tell me exactly what it is. You certainly didn't clear it up.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I see many good looking ladies walking without a man every day. Many of them are on the way to their work, in the lunch break, or on their way back home. I am sure some or maybe even many of them have a boyfriend or husband. The fact that they don't run around with a man at their side means exactly nothing.

Does mate when there house is right beside our shop and she lives with mum and dad. But ok I know nothing thanks for your input

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not obvious. Even Wikipedia can't tell me exactly what it is. You certainly didn't clear it up.

And what would you do if you would know exactly what it is?

I guess Wikipedia can also not exactly explain what love is. Does it matter?

On 2/13/2018 at 10:11 PM, BobbyL said:

One of the most endearing characteristics of Thai people is their desire to be unfailingly polite. This is why they end their Thai sentences with “ka” and “krub.”

This is one thing I absolutely hate. 

I like it. I am guilty of sometimes saying thank you in English AND Thai when talking to Thai people, just to sure I am polite.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And what would you do if you would know exactly what it is?

I guess Wikipedia can also not exactly explain what love is. Does it matter?

I would know what to expect if a girl asked me out on a date. I don't like going out with a woman I want to bonk not knowing if it's going to have a happy ending, or not.

Love is easy. It's a cover word for a variety of emotional attachments, but in the way it's most often used it doesn't exist. People are either in lust, or they are friends with benefits and sometimes they are just friends with strong feelings.

Others will have their own definition.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2018 at 9:10 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I would know what to expect if a girl asked me out on a date. I don't like going out with a woman I want to bonk not knowing if it's going to have a happy ending, or not.

Love is easy. It's a cover word for a variety of emotional attachments, but in the way it's most often used it doesn't exist. People are either in lust, or they are friends with benefits and sometimes they are just friends with strong feelings.

Others will have their own definition.

Then don't. Go with hookers. You know the end result.

Expecting a quality woman to bonk on the 1st date is daft.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 1:20 PM, Berkshire said:

Absolutely true.  It's the old "I no like Thai man, only like farang" classic, which is what they teach in Bargirl 101.  One would have to be pretty naive to fall for that line.

I also believed it was her first night working bar, and I was the first man she went home with.

• Haha 2

On 2/16/2018 at 3:41 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I think 'Dating' means you don't hand her cash after having sex, and she hasn't moved in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 12:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But there are also many Thai women out there who don't talk much or not at all with foreigners. I guess some or even many of them have a Thai partner. And they don't tell if they are happy with him.

They may not talk to me (foreigner), but they talk with my wife (Thai) and she doesn't hold back when she gets home.

Seems to be one long tale of woe, cheating, mia nois, financial difficulties and general dissatisfaction.

Same as all our 1st wives in our home countries.

Women seem to expect/want more than most men can give/provide these days.

(Middle class gated moobaan with approx 250 houses)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

They may not talk to me (foreigner), but they talk with my wife and she doesn't hold back when she gets home.

Seems to be one long tale of woe, cheating, mia nois, financial difficulties and general dissatisfaction.

Same as all our 1st wives in our home countries.

Women seem to expect/want more than most men can give/provide these days.

(Middle class gated moobaan with approx 250 houses)

That's humans. People like to complain and want more.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:05 PM, Genmai said:

Who the **** writes this crap? I must be living in a different universe from this 'author'-

Haha...watch it, talking like that about the precious "Web Fact" posts is gonna get you suspended or banned real quick.

On 14/02/2018 at 4:11 PM, BobbyL said:

One of the most endearing characteristics of Thai people is their desire to be unfailingly polite. This is why they end their Thai sentences with “ka” and “krub.”

This is one thing I absolutely hate. 

Fake politeness. True manners can be seen on the roads.

Actions speak louder than words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Not fake. Different situations and plenty of Thais are polite when driving. The bad apples just stand out.

I think the problem in Thailand is that most Thais are much more tolerant of bad driving, and bad drivers can rely on someone giving way to them.  If all drivers were bad, there would be no queue for them to cut in front of.

24 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think the problem in Thailand is that most Thais are much more tolerant of bad driving, and bad drivers can rely on someone giving way to them.  If all drivers were bad, there would be no queue for them to cut in front of.

They accept a lot of bad behaviour due to avoiding conflict. Explains a lot.

• Like 1