Bangkok police reduce speed on eight roads to 50 km/h

webfact

Bangkok police reduce speed on eight roads to 50 km/h

By The Nation

e0e3619fa6c4e305178f5cb92a5b703b.jpeg

File photo

Motorists will need to check their speed on eight roads in Bangkok after the Metropolitan Police Bureau published a directive to reduce their maximum speed from 80 kilometres to 50 kilometres per hour to prevent road accidents.

The new speed limit is in immediate effect after being published on Thursday in the Royal Gazette.

The eight roads are:

1. Ratchasima Road from Suan Ruen intersection to Wang Daeng intersection

2. Ratchawithi Road from Apai Jesphuthit intersection to Krungthon Bridge

3. Samsen Road fom Bang Krabua intersection to Si Sao Thewes intersection

4. Uthong Nok Road from Uthong Nok intersection to Wasukree Pier

5. Sukhothai Road from Suan Ruen intersection to Sukhothai intersection

6. Si Ayutthaya Road from First Army Division intersection to Saowanee intersection

7. Rama V Road from Phanit intersection to Sukhothai intersection

8. Sawankhalok Road from Yommarat Intersection to Sawankhalok intersection.

The bureau said it would coordinate with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to put up speed limit signs on the eight roads.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338991

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-16

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I have no time to read roadsigns, need all my attention to search for holes in the roads, broken drainlids, soidogs, hello kitty cars, red/blue wailinglights, bahtbuses cutting me off, checking mirrors, searching where the loud bangs come frome, avoiding motocy taxi's who drive against traffic, jaywalkers, gardeners with strimmers, wateringtrucks, roadsweepers, pylones on the road, barrierpoles, securityguards stopping traffic, truckdrivers stopping traffic, cars making U-turns, parked cars on the roads, taxi's who suddenly stop, very slow grandma's in cars, speeding racingtrucks, overloaded pickups with loose load, pickups with overhanging load without red flag, people yelling HELLO to me or horning because they spot the fallang,  searching for roadsigns which are missing, and so on.....

Especially those gardeners waiving you to change lane at the last moment and then you pray to thank God you haven't run over them.. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kotsak said:

Especially those gardeners waiving you to change lane at the last moment and then you pray to thank God you haven't run over them.. :biggrin:

Those strimmers can also shoot stones onto the road, when driving motocy you don't want them in your eyes...my neighbours' car had a broken window from a stone from a strimmer. Sometimes they use a person with a shield to protect the traffic but mostly not.

Also those wateringtrucks for watering the tree's inbetween the roads are very dangerous, they drive very slow on the fast lane. Even on brand new roads they won't make a sprinkler to water the tree's.

What also scares the crap out of me is when they change the incoming lanes into outgoing ones...there's no sign for that you just have to know it but i don't know how.

Also pushcarts on the road after dark without any lights scare me a lot, just like black soidogs in the dark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thian said:

I have no time to read roadsigns, need all my attention to search for holes in the roads, broken drainlids, soidogs, hello kitty cars, red/blue wailinglights, bahtbuses cutting me off, checking mirrors, searching where the loud bangs come frome, avoiding motocy taxi's who drive against traffic, jaywalkers, gardeners with strimmers, wateringtrucks, roadsweepers, pylones on the road, barrierpoles, securityguards stopping traffic, truckdrivers stopping traffic, cars making U-turns, parked cars on the roads, taxi's who suddenly stop, very slow grandma's in cars, speeding racingtrucks, overloaded pickups with loose load, pickups with overhanging load without red flag, people yelling HELLO to me or horning because they spot the fallang,  searching for roadsigns which are missing, and so on.....

This can only mean 2 things. You are talking about a person that drives to fast or a person that absolutely can´t drive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Now they just need to figure out how to enforce them

Enforce them???? Oh! wait, brown envelopes. I would bet that's what this lowering of speed limits is all about.

It was quite common in the UK years ago, maybe still is.

I have personally seen road signs reduced from 40 to 30 MPH on a very long dual carriageway then speed cameras erected. But no brown envelopes involved.

14 minutes ago, Get Real said:

This can only mean 2 things. You are talking about a person that drives to fast or a person that absolutely can´t drive.

You reply can only mean 1 thing: You have never driven a motobike in BKK and followed all rules.

15 minutes ago, Thian said:

You reply can only mean 1 thing: You have never driven a motobike in BKK and followed all rules.

Have. Drove all the way from Petchabun into Rangsit, Bangkok and exited to Chon Buri to finally stop in Rayong, Ban Phae taking the ferry over to Koh Samed.

All in 1 day too.

Still stand by my last comment. :smile:

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Actually might be a step in the right direction. Lower speed, less accidents. Yeah, I go with that!

The problem, though, is that the signs will say 50 but the people don´t bother to read the signs. That´s where the real problem is.

Signs? What signs? :sleep:

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai people are much better drivers, since they can do all the things you can't and at the same time they can play on their phones while driving as well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I read in many places on the road " reduce the speed to city limit" What is now the city limit???? You reduce the speed limit on 8 roads??? What the hell is it??? You must reduce in all the villages and city's to 50 km/h and lower where is necessary. Stop the racers!

They reduced the speed in a village on the rural highway I live on to 30 Kph.  What's it accomplish?  Not a thing?   There is no enforcement. 

Rules and regulation mean zip, zero, nada without enforcement.  Thailand has no patrol cars on the roads issuing citations for moving violations, so Thailand is and will remain a country with roads governed by anarchy.  Do whatever you want - signs don't mean a thing unless you get into an accident.  And issuing citations after the fact is pathetically poor enforcement.  Obviously the word "proactive" must not be in the Thai lexicon.  If it is, it's ignored.