Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

webfact

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Notabury, MaeJo..., Grovehill , where are you? I'd like to about your kids's UK birth certificates. 

My Thai born children obtained their British passports, due to my being a British citizen, born in the U.K.

they cannot pass that privilege on,unless their partners, gained their British passport due to being born in the U.K.

I beleive there may be a few exemptions, such as children born to service personnel, while serving abroad. Embassy staff etc,. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nontabury said:

My Thai born children obtained their British passports, due to my being a British citizen, born in the U.K.

they cannot pass that privilege on,unless their partners, gained their British passport due to being born in the U.K.ssy staff etc,. 

Proof of living in the UK for 3 consecutive years changes their status, and they can then pass on their citizenship to their child born outside the UK..

(3 years of school reports, University degree, registered with a local doctor, NI payments, Income tax records, etc.), but you (British by descent) need to register your (non British) child while still a minor.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461318/children_born_outside_the_uk_sept_2015.pdf

"Where the parent is a British citizen by descent additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, the parent is normally expected to have lived in the UK for three consecutive years and apply to register the child as a British citizen while the child is a minor (clause 43, Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009, effective from 13 January 2010). Prior to this date, the age limit was 12 months."

I'll probably take my kid back for high school, so he can pass on his British citizenship and go to a UK university without having to pay fees as a foreign student. 

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Proof of living in the UK for 3 years changes their status, and they can then pass on their citizenship.

(3 years of school reports, University degree, registered with a local doctor, etc.)

I din’t Know that, are you sure? I’f so that’ll be interesting for them to know.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Proof of living in the UK for 3 consecutive years changes their status, and they can then pass on their citizenship to their child born outside the UK..

(3 years of school reports, University degree, registered with a local doctor, NI payments, Income tax records, etc.), but you (British by descent) need to register your (non British) child while still a minor.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461318/children_born_outside_the_uk_sept_2015.pdf

"Where the parent is a British citizen by descent additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, the parent is normally expected to have lived in the UK for three consecutive years and apply to register the child as a British citizen while the child is a minor (clause 43, Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009, effective from 13 January 2010). Prior to this date, the age limit was 12 months."

I'll probably take my kid back for high school, so he can pass on his British citizenship and go to a UK university without having to pay fees as a foreign student. 

The way I read this, is that the ability to pass on passport rights does not apply to overseas born British passport holders who derived their passport from one of their parents. As is the case with my children and those of many other Farangs in Thailand.

Regarding your children’s rights to a British University education, they would need to be enrolled and attending a British school for the 3 years prior to going to University. As with most government rules,there are exceptions. One being if they are a citizen of a E.U country. But thankfully that exemption will soon cease.

As it is at the moment, you, as a British citizen with a British child, probably having, and still paying U.K taxes, would have to cough up the full University fees plus an additional 50%, with no chance of obtaining a government loan to cover their fees or their subsistence. While a E.U citizen, whose parent may have never paid 1 Penny British tax, or even set one foot in the U.K. would not be required to pay the Extra 50%, and they could obtain a British tax payers loan to cover the fees plus help towards their subsistence.On graduation those Foregn E.U. Children could then return to their own country, and not pay their loan back.

Again one other exemption. British children living in England, Nth Ireland or Wales are not entitled to free University education in Scotland, while those children of non paying E.U citizens are.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, nontabury said:

overseas born British passport holders who derived their passport from one of their parents.

This is the definition of British by descent. (not born in UK, but one or both parents Brits)

And even a pair of Brits who pop to Spain for a weeks holiday, and oops baby pops out, fall foul of this law.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 2/24/2018 at 7:05 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

This is the definition of British by descent. (not born in UK, but one or both parents Brits)

And even a pair of Brits who pop to Spain for a weeks holiday, and oops baby pops out, fall foul of this law.

Do you still think your kids(born in Thailand) have a UK birth certificate?

7 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Do you still think your kids(born in Thailand) have a UK birth certificate?

His children,born in Thailand, will I assume already have a Thai birth certificate. As for a U.K birth certificate, I beleive he could if he so wish, obtain one from the General Registry Office in London. Personally I have never thought of the need to have an actual U.K birth certificate for my children. A British passport ( navy blue ) is quite sufficient.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nontabury said:

His children,born in Thailand, will I assume already have a Thai birth certificate. As for a U.K birth certificate, I beleive he could if he so wish, obtain one from the General Registry Office in London. Personally I have never thought of the need to have an actual U.K birth certificate for my children. A British passport ( navy blue ) is quite sufficient.

Why does the p.p. color matter? 

15 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Why does the p.p. color matter? 

I’m taking it that you are not British, possible American, seeing that you have incorrectly spelt the word Colour. So I will answer you, it Does’t matter at all, although it will show that we are no longer part of That so called (E.U.) Union. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I’m taking it that you are not British, possible American, seeing that you have incorrectly spelt the word Colour. So I will answer you, it Does’t matter at all, although it will show that we are no longer part of That so called (E.U.) Union. 

Neither British nor American. Britain was never forced to adopt the burgundy p.p. Several EU member countries retained their original p.ports. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

No, he couldn't get a UK birth certificate.  A while back someone posted a letter from the government saying it's not possible. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

No, he couldn't get a UK birth certificate.  A while back someone posted a letter from the government saying it's not possible. 

Wrong once again.

I have one for myself, for my Mum and Dad (long deceased sadly) and one for my dual nationality son.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Wrong once again.

Perhaps the letter was from the UK embassy saying they don't do a birth registration anymore.

It has to be done by mail from here now. I went through the steps answering the basic questions to get to this page.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/y/thailand/father/yes/same_country

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps the letter was from the UK embassy saying they don't do them any more.

It has to be done by mail from here now. I went through the steps answering the basic questions to get to this page.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/y/thailand/father/yes/same_country

Thank you for the link.

I registered my sons birth 12 years ago and I have 2 copies of the certificate dated 18th November 2005 and signed by Neill James who was the Registration Officer at the British Embassy at the time.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read the link and saw the prices, especially postage to the rest of the world.

Copied from the link.

ServiceFee

Register a birth                                                                                                                   £150

Copy of a birth registration certificate                                                                           £50

You must also pay for your documents to be returned to you.

Postage destinationFee

UK address or British Forces Post Office                                                                      £5.50

Europe (excluding Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine)                £14.50

Rest of world                                                                                                                       £25

10 hours ago, nontabury said:

I would like to see that government letter.

I think this may be the letter(email) in question.

I wrote to the UK government.

N? N

Thank you for your email.

We provide what’s called a consular birth registration – it’s not a birth certificate and does not replace your child’s local birth certificate. It does however register your child’s birth overseas with the General Register Office.

Please use the link below to take you to our website where you can follow the instructions in order to apply for a birth registration

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/y

Kind regards

Hinna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Wrong once again.

I have one for myself, for my Mum and Dad (long deceased sadly) and one for my dual nationality son.

Bill, you can't have a Birth Certificate for your son. It's a certificate of registration. As the link ubonjoe gave says, you will get issued with a local BC.

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Bill, you can't have a Birth Certificate for your son. It's a certificate of registration. As the link ubonjoe gave says, you will get issued with a local BC.

Thank you anyway.

I am more than happy with what I received from the UK government and the British embassy.

As far as I am concerned it is merely a matter of different words for the same thing.

If another certain poster does not like it, why should I care?

It was certainly legal enough to get my son a UK passport and to be accepted as a UK citizen.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the link.

I registered my sons birth 12 years ago and I have 2 copies of the certificate dated 18th November 2005 and signed by Neill James who was the Registration Officer at the British Embassy at the time.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read the link and saw the prices, especially postage to the rest of the world.

Copied from the link.

ServiceFee

Register a birth                                                                                                                   £150

Copy of a birth registration certificate                                                                           £50

You must also pay for your documents to be returned to you.

Postage destinationFee

UK address or British Forces Post Office                                                                      £5.50

Europe (excluding Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine)                £14.50

Rest of world                                                                                                                       £25

Now I’m reminded, why I as a Yorkshire man, I declined their offer to exploit my finances. I just stuck with the Thai birth certificate and British passports.

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

Now I’m reminded, why I as a Yorkshire man, I declined their offer to exploit my finances. I just stuck with the Thai birth certificate and British passports.

I understand, being a Scotsman!

I registered my kids though, but can't remember if I've ever used the registering certificates. Seemed a good idea at the time though.

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2018 at 9:01 PM, billd766 said:

It was certainly legal enough to get my son a UK passport and to be accepted as a UK citizen.

You don't need a certificate of registration to get a UK passport, nor to become a UK citizen. 

Why exactly did you get your "certificate of registration"?