Review of Bangkok’s awesome coin deposit machine excites million Thais

Jonathan Fairfield

c1.png

Now would be time to gather up one baht coins around your apartment.

A useful review of a coin deposit machine from SCB has reached over 4 million views within days, with most netizens saying they didn’t even realize the machines had finally been installed in Bangkok.

The machine was previously shown off (and became the highlight) at the Money Expo in May of last year, and SCB quietly launched it in September. Now there are only four coin deposit machines in Bangkok — at CentralWorld, Central Ladprao, Central Westgate, and Mega Banga, according to an SCB staff member.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/review-bangkoks-awesome-coin-deposit-machine-excites-million-thais/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-02-16

Sent the wife to pay the water bill,I gave her the exact money,

at 7/11, included was 50 THB in 50 satang coins,when she returned

she said the cashier said only 30 THB in coins,I counted it twice so know

there was 50 THB, but what can you expect when they need a 

calculator to work out ,item 135 THB, give them 150 THB.  

just glad to get rid of them,25's and 50;s 

regards worgeordie

I brought in about 400 baht in mixed change to Kasikorn a few years ago. I had it separated by denomination in separate plastic bags. The teller asked me how much it was as she wanted to fill in the deposit slip. When I told her I had no idea she gets a couple of girls from the back room and they dump all the coins into one pile and begin counting. She says "next time you count"....you can't make this stuff up !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They removed most of these machines here in the States because of how inaccurate they were. They were giving banks a bad rap — which is why now you will only find them in strip malls. What a joy to see them in Thai banks. Well, for now at least. But who would care if a couple baht went missing from the count? From the stories already posted here they’d be much better than hand-counting Thais!

10 hours ago, Thian said:

Last week i was at the cashier in the Makro, the lady before me had to pay 2400 baht, she gave a huge pile of 20 baht billiets so the cashier had to count that for 5 minutes or so....twice of course....:post-4641-1156694083:

Must have got lots of tips the night before... 

My Thai wife takes her coins to the bank all neatly packaged - 100 baht in each small plastic bag.  All separated by denomination.  The bank insists on counting each coin (It is obvious that Thais don't trust each other), and rejects coins which are deemed dirty.  Not sure if that is legal or not.  As a merchant one has to accept coins whether they are dirty or not.

Coin counting machines have been around a long time. I first saw one in Las Vegas in 1967. However they have never  been to popular with banks. I took a bag full of quarters into a bank in Hawaii to change for paper but they would not do it. They said they would have to count them. I told them it was easy, put four in a pile and that's a dollar and I could help them but they still wouldn't do it. I was staying at some backpacker place with a huge vending machine , maybe fifty slots selling sandwiches and stuff. I would sit there every night for a couple of hours got rid of them no problem.

58 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

My Thai wife takes her coins to the bank all neatly packaged - 100 baht in each small plastic bag.  All separated by denomination.  The bank insists on counting each coin (It is obvious that Thais don't trust each other), and rejects coins which are deemed dirty.  Not sure if that is legal or not.  As a merchant one has to accept coins whether they are dirty or not.

Banks also refuse to change EURO-billiets with a tiny cut or corner missing...very annoying, the ones i have came from the bank but here they don't want them.

13 hours ago, tonray said:

I brought in about 400 baht in mixed change to Kasikorn a few years ago. I had it separated by denomination in separate plastic bags. The teller asked me how much it was as she wanted to fill in the deposit slip. When I told her I had no idea she gets a couple of girls from the back room and they dump all the coins into one pile and begin counting. She says "next time you count"....you can't make this stuff up !

Next time you tell them its a trillion baht.

Don't forget to give me a kick-back for that valuable advice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

My Thai wife takes her coins to the bank all neatly packaged - 100 baht in each small plastic bag.  All separated by denomination.  The bank insists on counting each coin (It is obvious that Thais don't trust each other)

Although that isnt exclusively Thai .

If you go to any bank in the world with some money to deposit , they always count the money first , rather than trusting the person when they state that its a certain amount

• Like 2

Wow easily excited aren't they-- I have seen the same type of machines in large UK supermarkets for at least the last 10 years. (Sainsbury's etc) They sort your change out and issue a docket that can be used for goods, redeemed for cash or sent to one of the 10 or so Charity's they have listed on the machine.

12 hours ago, theanimaster said:

They removed most of these machines here in the States because of how inaccurate they were. They were giving banks a bad rap — which is why now you will only find them in strip malls. What a joy to see them in Thai banks. Well, for now at least. But who would care if a couple baht went missing from the count? From the stories already posted here they’d be much better than hand-counting Thais!

Those machines are all over California, even my credit union has one , free of charge , also, Coinstar is the name

Edited by Nice Boyd
  • Like 1

I assumed they had machines like this already at some branches in their back office.

Although I went to my local Kasikornbank branch with some bottles of coins and the poor girl had to count all by hand.

And how about this machine? Can you use it only if you have an account at SCB?

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Banks also refuse to change EURO-billiets with a tiny cut or corner missing...very annoying, the ones i have came from the bank but here they don't want them.

A few weeks ago, my child went on a school trip to Pak Thong Yai farm.
I gave her a 500 baht note.
At midday she called me and she said that the cashier at the restaurant did not accept the bank note as there was a tiny side missing on one corner.
Luckely, a teacher gave her 500 baht and said to give it back the next day.
From that day on, I refuse any bill that is damaged (not always to the pleasing of the shop owner).

Long time ago, I tried to exchange the Sathang 20c/50c coins almost everywhere.
Even at the banks.
But they were refused.
I bring them now to 7/11 to pay my utility bills and they accept them with a smile.
They are nicely wrapped up in tape in 20 coins staples.

25946.jpg

We had a coin counting machine in our store in 1981 already. Yes, it was a portable type that you could place on a table or desk. It even sorted out the coins and had the total of each coin and the complete total displayed on a LED screen. On the bottom you could fill the coin rolls from the bank. The bank only counted the rolls of coins. It saved us lots of time counting it ourselves.

The machine costed around 240.- Hfl. That is Dutch Gulden, about 100.- USD. We used the same machine until the Euro came in 2002. It was then replaced by one that costed € 75.- about 3,000 THB. Used this one till 2010 when I sold the company.

So Thailand is still 35 years behind

Edited by PAIBKK

13 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

At midday she called me and she said that the cashier at the restaurant did not accept the bank note as there was a tiny side missing on one corner.
From that day on, I refuse any bill that is damaged (not always to the pleasing of the shop owner).

Even at the banks.
But they were refused.
I bring them now to 7/11 to pay my utility bills and they accept them with a smile.

25946.jpg

Yeah some of the bus matrons on the 6.5 baht bus won't take the 25 satang coins. SMH

The supermarket  in the smallish ( pop 3000) town I live in back in France has one of these - counts the coins and gives you a voucher, without deduction. you can then use in the shop.

I just use the self service tills and pop all my loose change into the coin slot there to pay for my shopping. 

23 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Even at the banks.
But they were refused.

25946.jpg

That one is missing a big piece, my 50 euro only misses 3x3 mm at the corner and looks perfect new...

Now when the moneychanger gives my Baht i also examine every billiet and return the ones that i don't like..and i don't care for the qeueu behind me.

The satangs also annoy me a lot, my keys have a magnet inside and everytime i get my keys out the satangs drop on the floor...

But now i like to pay with the Rabbitcard, works like a chime and i don't have to touch that dirty money which marketbutchers just grab with bloody hands as well.

4 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Coin counting machines have been around a long time. I first saw one in Las Vegas in 1967. However they have never  been to popular with banks. I took a bag full of quarters into a bank in Hawaii to change for paper but they would not do it. They said they would have to count them. I told them it was easy, put four in a pile and that's a dollar and I could help them but they still wouldn't do it. I was staying at some backpacker place with a huge vending machine , maybe fifty slots selling sandwiches and stuff. I would sit there every night for a couple of hours got rid of them no problem.

Wow...who would have ever dreamed that coin counting machines could exist???

Were they invented by a Thai entrepreneur, I hope???

Just goes to show, Thailand 1.0 is alive and well!!! :sleep:

What will they invent next... fire???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tebee said:

The supermarket  in the smallish ( pop 3000) town I live in back in France has one of these - counts the coins and gives you a voucher, without deduction. you can then use in the shop.

I just use the self service tills and pop all my loose change into the coin slot there to pay for my shopping. 

I remember 40 years ago we already had them, kids could give their savingpig full of coins to the bank and the machine would count it in seconds.

Now even fuelstations have them, you throw a lot of cash in the boil, the machine counts it and can also give coins return..But you have to give the billiets to the cashier behind the glass.

Edited by Thian

17 hours ago, tonray said:

bizarre... surely they have scales that tell you the value by weight?

and if you did count it will they accept the amount you say? wont they bother to check?

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

bizarre... surely they have scales that tell you the value by weight?

and if you did count it will they accept the amount you say? wont they bother to check?

No scales and I am sure they would never trust a farang's count anyway...just Thai girl silliness

I throw all my coins in a jar. Twice a year, I take them to the local Big C. The Customer Service desk lady sorts them (very quickly), bags them and counts them, then swaps them for notes.

They always seem very happy to do it, probably because they need change anyway to run their store.