Given a 30day visa instead of 90day

I have a visa based on marriage, on my last trip (current) the stamp i was given at BKK was a 30 day visa, i didn't notice or look as i offered my passport open on the visa page and assumed that a 90 day stamp would be added. As was the case on the previous entry (BKK). I am up in Khon Kaen. What should be my best course of action to follow? 

Thanks 

Shaemus

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

And as UbonJoe states, many things can be corrected by visiting Immigration, if you do it within a timely manner.

The error can be corrected anytime. It would be best to get it corrected quickly, and before the given permission to stay expires otherwise the person would 'technically' be on overstay.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can go to immigration in Khon Kaen to have the stamping error corrected.

Thank you ubonjoe. I will take a day trip up there. 

I didn't pay it even the slightest notice untill i was catching an internal flight the otherday. I am technically now on an overstay so i will be prioritising this. 

I will update on what transpires. 

Many thanks 

Shaemus 

Edited by shaemus

You wrote you are on a marriage visa. So you left the country and came back again. You have a multi entry Visa?

Or your visa is expired now and you became a normal stamp because you not have an visa now?

Or are you on an extension based on marriage.. then you have the re-entry permit? without you also have nothing and the 30 days would be correct!

6 minutes ago, HampiK said:

You wrote you are on a marriage visa. So you left the country and came back again. You have a multi entry Visa?

Or your visa is expired now and you became a normal stamp because you not have an visa now?

Or are you on an extension based on marriage.. then you have the re-entry permit? without you also have nothing and the 30 days would be correct!

Yes i have a multiple entry visa. Still in its first year. 

Edited by shaemus
Wrong word

It is up to each person to ensure their visa is activated when they want it to be, some people arrive and may not want to activate a visa on the first arrival to Thailand because they plan to travel elsewhere and activate a visa at a later date.

17 hours ago, Dimebag said:

Same thing happened to me 2 months ago and as I routinely do I walk past the officer a metre so the next on line can proceed and I check my stamp. I then returned to the officer questioning the 30 days and he said I had written I am only staying 25 days. So I politely asked t him to change it to a 3 month stamp that I am eligible for as my work commitments change regularly. 

Can't help you with a solution but I hope others will read this and do the same to avoid the problem

So one should write the full entitlement in the 'Length of Stay' column irrespective of expectations I guess.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can go to immigration in Khon Kaen to have the stamping error corrected.

I have a visa based on marriage, on my last trip (current) the stamp i was given at BKK was a 30 day visa, i didn't notice or look as i offered my passport open on the visa page and assumed that a 90 day stamp would be added.

exact same thing happened to a friend of mine,

PHUKET

was on a marriage extension,came in from Malaysia at Betong and ONLY stamped for 30days,

figured he was ok for 90 days and after 70 or so looked and, ( oh oh  overstay)   ....Had to fly out to KL as they would not "fix" it and come back with a  30 day visa exempt stamp

Than made him restart the whole change to non o apply for 1 year extension route..

Edited by phuketrichard

16 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

PHUKET

was on a marriage extension,came in from Malaysia at Betong and ONLY stamped for 30days,

figured he was ok for 90 days and after 70 or so looked and, ( oh oh  overstay)   ....Had to fly out to KL as they would not "fix" it and come back with a  30 day visa exempt stamp

Than made him restart the whole change to non o apply for 1 year extension route..

I am not clear about the situation you are describing, but it is possible that your friend has the same confusion about multiple entry visas and extensions of permission to stay that you seem to have.

If he had previously been making border hops on a multiple entry visa (getting 90 days each time) but subsequently applied for a one-year extension of stay at an immigration office in Thailand, he could no longer just cross the border receiving a fresh permission to stay. If he believed this was still the correct procedure, and did a border hop without a re-entry permit, there was no error by immigration, and nothing for Phuket to correct.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

PHUKET

If he had a re-entry permit he would have been stamped in for the reminder of his extension, not 90 days. 

Without re-entry permit his extension ended when leaving the country and he would only get 30 day visa exempt stamp. 

Seems to be some confusion here 

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

If you did place your visa number on the arrival card you have no proof... The officer in Khon Kaen will say you forgot to place the number on arrival card...

I doubt that.

Most immigration officers are aware that mistakes are often made by officers stamping people in.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt that.

Most immigration officers are aware that mistakes are often made by officers stamping people in.

“Most” is not all... As I stated in my post if you take and have a photo of the completed arrival card on the plane there would be no doubt whatsoever... 

Edited by sfokevin

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt that.

Would this be  the correct office to go to? 

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to why this has happened. 

This was the second entry into BKK/ LOS using this Visa

A 90 day stamp was issued in the first case. 

The passport / visa was presented with the visa page opened. First and second times. 

The Visa is one based on marriage multiple entry applied for and granted offshore. 

Thanks for all the tips and guidance, i will certainly be double checking next time. Once bitten twice shy as they say. 

And i will certainly be updating this thread. 

Thanks again 

Shaemus 

Screenshot_20180219-111137.jpg

Good luck, i had the exact same problem with BKK airport, i went to Jomtien Soi 5 immigration, they didnt want to know, they sent me to Wireless Rd Bangkok just to change the 30day stamp mistake to correct 90 day , cost me a;most a full day at bangkok + 2,600 bahts taxi round trip.

!st thing i do now is check the correct date stamped in my passport before i exit the arrival desk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am not clear about the situation you are describing, but it is possible that your friend has the same confusion about multiple entry visas and extensions of permission to stay that you seem to have.

If he had previously been making border hops on a multiple entry visa (getting 90 days each time) but subsequently applied for a one-year extension of stay at an immigration office in Thailand, he could no longer just cross the border receiving a fresh permission to stay. If he believed this was still the correct procedure, and did a border hop without a re-entry permit, there was no error by immigration, and nothing for Phuket to correct.

He was on an extension ( and had his valid re entry permit) and had been for 7 years,  the immigration guy at Betong ONLY stamped him in for 30 days ( visa exempt)  He than didn't realize it, till he was already on overstay ( was going to do his 90 report) and Phuket immigration could not ( would not ) help correct the mistake.

He had to exit to KL, come back in on a 30 day visa exempt,  get a 2 month marriage extension while waiting for the transfer to an NON o visa and than apply for ( again ) his 1 year extension..

Moral of story,  ALWAYS check what they stamp you in for BEFORE u even leave immigration on  arrival..:-)

OK?

Edited by phuketrichard

Recently had the same thing.

Got it corrected at the desk in the airport.

The IO re-stamped for 90 days and initialled it.

On my next out in the IO mentioned that the computer date hadn't been changed and was still on 30 days. He had no problem with it because the stamp had been changed at the airport.

He also mentioned to his knowledge only the main Imm' office in Bangkok could alter the date in the computer.

20180219_070530.jpg

Edited by overherebc
adding photo

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

He was on an extension ( and had his valid re entry permit) and had been for 7 years,  the immigration guy at Betong ONLY stamped him in for 30 days ( visa exempt)  He than didn't realize it, till he was already on overstay ( was going to do his 90 report) and Phuket immigration could not ( would not ) help correct the mistake.

He had to exit to KL, come back in on a 30 day visa exempt,  get a 2 month marriage extension while waiting for the transfer to an NON o visa and than apply for ( again ) his 1 year extension..

Moral of story,  ALWAYS check what they stamp you in for BEFORE u even leave immigration on  arrival..:-)

OK?

I endorse your advice to always check the stamps. However, I am still a little confused. If he had a valid, unused re-entry permit then (even assuming he needed to fly out and return) why was he yet again given a 30-day visa exempt entry?

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If he had a valid, unused re-entry permit then (even assuming he needed to fly out and return) why was he yet again given a 30-day visa exempt entry?

Because he never got the 30 day visa exempt entry changed and then left the country with an overstay.

Getting a new permit to stay date made his extension invalid.

The big mistake he made was not getting the stamping error corrected before the 30 days ended.

40 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I endorse your advice to always check the stamps. However, I am still a little confused. If he had a valid, unused re-entry permit then (even assuming he needed to fly out and return) why was he yet again given a 30-day visa exempt entry?

Cause when he entered an they stamped him in for the 30 days visa exempt it made his 1 year marriage extension  invalid.

In fact there were two of them, both on 1 year marriage extensions,   both got 30 days, both lost their extensions..

Luckily the other guy was headed back to Oz and got a 1 year multi entry marriage visa back home and no overstay..

Because he never got the 30 day visa exempt entry changed and then left the country with an overstay.

He did what Phuket immigration told him to do. cant really argue with them...

Went in to do is 90 day report, they saw he had ONLY a 30 day visa exempt entry, and was overstayed, told him he was on overstay (they waived the fine), but told him he had to leave the next day and come back and they would start all over..

The big mistake he made was not getting the stamping error corrected before the 30 days ended.

YEP@!!   but he thought he had the correct stamp an never checked till he had to do is 90 day report........a lesson not soon to be forgotten...

Its been a night mare for him as he also needed to get a new passport, as his was full 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Oh dear. My 30 days ended a couple of weeks ago. Well this should make an interesting day.! 

I'll keep you posted.