Just changed over to LED lighting

MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Plus, just checked my spare unit ( put ceiling fan in its place) and it’s a 32W lamp with a 32W Ballast, why would this be so different to your 12W ballast ?

32w is the power rating of the lamp your ballast (what it can provide) can drive, what power it uses in the process is around 12w.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Looks like you bought the discontinued style. The new LED replacement is either 18 or 24 watt and connects direct to the power. No ballast. I paid B249 for the new style 24 watt.

There is no such thing. Fluorescent uses ballast, LED uses a driver.

Without a driver circuit, the LED would burn out the first time it was turned on.

All LEDS require a driver circuit, it can either be a separate box, or a circuit integrated onto the LED base.

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Fluorescent 32w bulb + 12w ballast = 44w, LED 18w

Saving 26w/hr/LED.

Out of my 6 lights I'm assuming 2 lights running 6  hrs/night, saving 26x12x2 = saving 0.64 units per day at 3.5bht/unit = 2.24 bht/day

Total savings = 817 bht/year

The LED lamps (159bht/lamp) will pay for 5 in 1 year.

I live in a 2 bed house in a thai village and have just normal lights and elec bill is less than 500b

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

There is no such thing. Fluorescent uses ballast, LED uses a driver.

Without a driver circuit, the LED would burn out the first time it was turned on.

All LEDS require a driver circuit, it can either be a separate box, or a circuit integrated onto the LED base.

Really.. Go check it out at Home Pro Home Hub and report back..

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

"What is a ballast and why they are not used un LED lights"

https://www.ledlightexpert.com/What-is-a-Ballast-and-Why-They-are-Not-Used-in-LED-Lights_b_25.html

From LED Light Expert . com

Edited by MaeJoMTB

16 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

LED lighting does not require a ballast; they only require their driver circuit (fancy name for their power supply circuit).  However, some LED lighting is engineered to work with a ballast from an existing circuit...helpful to those folks who are not comfortable in removing the old ballast/starter and a little bit of rewiring.  Maybe that is what you saw in HomePro.  See below partial quote and full article.

https://insights.regencylighting.com/which-lamp-types-are-ballast-dependent

image.png.3671068c873d54094e217a09262a683d.png

I made the switch to LED from incandescent but, after many tries, I couldn't get that warm colour like real light bulbs. Why anybody would not replace fluorescents the day they move in is beyond me!

But LEDs are not any more pleasant to live with. With such minimal electrical savings and an uncertain bulb life, I went back to real lightbulbs.

In some Western countries, real bulbs are no longer sold. That means the public is being forced a bill of goods. Here, that means a B25 lightbulb is replaced by a B250 LED.

When one considers glaucoma and macular degeneration exacerbated by blue light, I made the right choice.

12 hours ago, Pib said:

LED lighting does not require a ballast; they only require their driver circuit (fancy name for their power supply circuit).  However, some LED lighting is engineered to work with a ballast from an existing circuit...helpful to those folks who are not comfortable in removing the old ballast/starter and a little bit of rewiring.  Maybe that is what you saw in HomePro.  See below partial quote and full article.

The first LED strip light I bought came with a replacement "Starter" .

The idea was you just replace the flourecent tube and starter without having to change the whole fitting, leaving the ballast in place.

I don't know if the ballast actually did anything after the conversion but it did save having to renew the whole thing. Very easy to do.

:smile:

(What did happen to spellcheck :sad:)

7 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

In some Western countries, real bulbs are no longer sold. That means the public is being forced a bill of goods. Here, that means a B25 lightbulb is replaced by a B250 LED.

If you want to see a real bill of goods, watch the video about the conspiracy to make "real bulbs" burn out after a deliberately finite life.

http://www.videoproject.com/Light-Bulb-Conspiracy-The.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

I'm sure the video is on YouTube...  

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, Daffy D said:

The first LED strip light I bought came with a replacement "Starter" .

The idea was you just replace the flourecent tube and starter without having to change the whole fitting, leaving the ballast in place.

I don't know if the ballast actually did anything after the conversion but it did save having to renew the whole thing. Very easy to do.

:smile:

(What did happen to spellcheck :sad:)

Yea...a plug-and-play type approach....and LED light that was engineered to specifically work without any rewiring/removing the ballast, but did require replacing the starter which was really just a "fuse" in the physical form of a florescent starter.  See Youtube video below.

And  different manufacturers sell LED lights which require no-to-very little tinkering by a person other than replacing the florescent lights with the LED lights.  Leaving the ballast in is not really the best way because its unneeded for an LED and the ballast will continue to use (waste) a little power and the replacement starter (fuse) might blow or have dirty contact one day.   But if it prevents a person from having to pay someone else to rewire a fixture (i.e., remove the ballast and starter) then it's still probably a good way to go.   See Plug and Play article below the video.

But for me, like the OP, when it comes to putting LEDs in a florescent fixture I"m going to retrofit the fixture by removing the ballast and starter along with the little bit of fixture rewiring required.   When the dust settles you only have the LED circular/straight tube with its driver (power supply) which might be internal or external to the LED....more and more now days the driver is so small it's just made part of the LED circular/straight tube.

Article on Various Plug and Play LEDs

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/print/volume-11/issue-6/features/led-tubes/how-do-plug-and-play-t8s-stack-up-against-ballast-bypass-led-lamps.html

Yes there are basically three types of LED tubes being sold. The plug and play that has a onboard driver that is designed to work with the old ballast. Tubes that have a separate driver that is wired into the fixture like the ballast was and Line voltage tubes were the driver is internal and the fixture provides line voltage at the tube pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

21 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

Eve lighting has three LED retrofit sets in Buriram.  Prices I have seen inside a store were lower than any I had seen on lazada. 

Buriram Thailand LED retrofit ceiling light options.jpg

As you see in kamalabob2s photo, the one on the right will fit the larger centre dome mount, but the left one wont. Have a look at your mount before shopping...Cheers.

• Thanks 1