I have been calculatin'

theguyfromanotherforum

I came to Thailand just over 4 years ago with $200,000 Canadian in my pocket.

In those 4 years I have been able to save additional $100,000

Yet, when converted to Thai baht I have the exact same amount of money as when I arrived.

On that note, I like to bash Thai real estate, but even if I bought an overpriced dud in Pattaya 4 years ago there is just no way in hell I would have lost 33% of my money.

Anyone's else currency in a doghouse?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Can you show the calculations on your post, i dont quite understand what you mean. The exchange rate has changed from 29.6 to 25.06, so how have you lost 33% of your money? Sorry i am bored.

When you convert, you have the exact same money as when you arrived?

Actually when I arrived it was close to 32 baht... most definitely in the high 31s

Today the exchange rate is 24.91 or much lower if you withdraw via ATM, of course.

According to Oanda arrived January 2014 $200,000 total in baht 6,200,000

Today $300,000 total 7,450,000

Ok, it seems I exaggerated a little, but still almost 2 million baht "loss".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Actually when I arrived it was close to 32 baht... most definitely in the high 31s

Today the exchange rate is 24.91 or much lower if you withdraw via ATM, of course.

According to Oanda arrived January 2014 $200,000 total in baht 6,200,000

Today $300,000 total 7,450,000

Ok, it seems I exaggerated a little, but still almost 2 million baht "loss".

Why don't you transfer some money back to Canada? You have really been trying to prove your point, as the exchange rate has got to 31 only once for a day period in January 2014, so you were pretty damn unlucky!

• Like 1

Sounds like your money is still in CAD$. So you have lost nothing, except purchasing power in Thailand. Over time, that will smooth out to some extent. And as another poster has mentioned, you are setting your starting point at an outlier value. In 2003, I saw 40THB to the USD, then saw 28THB 4 years ago, and now 31THB. It is an unsettling ride. I solved the problem by leaving my wealth in the US, and getting paid in THB.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, joebrown said:

You're unlilkely to get any sympathy from a UK pensioner like me. When I came here in 2004 1 GBP = 70Bht. Since then my State Pension has been frozen and the exchange rate is now 43/44Bht. That's a 37% loss of income, so you've really got off quite lightly!

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose

Back in late 2005 I purchased a condo. The 3.6MBaht purchase price plus transfer fees cost me  £54000.

I am of the opinion that if I chose to sell my condo today at the fire sale price of 2.5M Baht and repatriated the money

I would end up with slightly more than £54000.

So in effect I have lived in Thailand for 12 years -and only paid maintemance fees.

This of course is only a paper exercise

That said in terms of day to day living the 37% loss of purcahsing power( that you quote) -also applies to me.

• Like 1

I agree with keeping funds in Canada, and keeping a minimum Baht float.   The best solution I've found for myself, has been opening a Thai and Canadian  "E currency" trading account.  You can fund your "E currency" account when you want, online from your Canadian bank, then send yourself an amount of "Ecoin",  sell it, deposit funds into your Thai bank account.  At this point, you actually make money transferring CDN bought Ecoin, to Thai.Bx.  Example: buy $1000 worth of bitcoin, send it to your "ewallet" here, sell it, deposit approx 26500 Baht into your thai bank account.  The whole process is very quick (usually less than an hour to have funds in your thai account, from time of purchase of ecoin in Canada).

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

The moral of the story if possible keep a buffer in thai baht, to avoid having to change money when the exchange rate is bad. 

Can you foresee how the exchange rate will evolve? I doubt it, because if you could you were rich ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

It looks like there should be a bit of a reversal, if this truly happens: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/finance/1415239/bot-to-keep-a-lid-on-baht-interventions

No reversal in sight. The BoT is stepping back and allowing the baht to become stronger.

"KBank, the country's fourth-largest lender by assets, predicts the baht will appreciate to 31.2 baht versus the dollar next month."

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

No reversal in sight. The BoT is stepping back and allowing the baht to become stronger.

"KBank, the country's fourth-largest lender by assets, predicts the baht will appreciate to 31.2 baht versus the dollar next month."

Well, if you cherry pick, I can too.

But Mr Kobsit predicted the baht would reverse the trend in May in light of a repatriation-driven dividend. 

Mr Kobsit said the local currency will be more volatile throughout the year amid both local and international uncertainties. 

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/finance/1415239/bot-to-keep-a-lid-on-baht-interventions. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.