Caught with cannabis in the islands

11 hours ago, Mum2 said:

Ok - apparently there is no one at the police station at all to speak to. I am worried this will be considered bribery and that makes things worse. Thank you for your comments 

Sorry but if my son or daughter, I would be on next plane to be with them and give all support possible.

Sorry if you've posted financial constraints  previously.

I wish for the best outcome.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mum2 said:

Thank you - I am hopeful it is sorted in a month he is concerned it may be nearer 2. The interpreter who is apparently a volunteer read him the paperwork (I guess this maybe the fixer - is it worth a conversation with him? He is the one my son has to contact every 12 days to say where he is). I am concerned he needs his passport to get a criminal extension visa from another island and he doesn’t have it. ) what a mess? 

The public procesuter on Koh Samui might need some incentive to get the case to go to court early, I have been volunteering for this kind of stuff before.

3000 baht to the procesuter might make the case go priority on Monday. 

Yes, definitely worth a conversation with the fixer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hobz said:

yes, but he will need to leave clean urine samples every month for like 6 months and then he will get the bail back. at least this is what happened to a thai friend on yaba.

If he meets he requirement of the court or police, whoever grants the bail, then he will get the bail back when the case is over.  This is a tourist who will not be here in 6 months not one of your yaba-addicted Thai friends.  I do not believe that bail refunds can be withheld until 6 months of clear urine tests have been completed after a case has finished.  It's either over or it isn't.  If what you say about your friend is accurate then he was probably on bail for that whole period.

Edited by Just Weird

On 2/24/2018 at 9:24 AM, Mum2 said:

They are saying the 49000 is for bail - from what this forum says bail can only be set by the courts? They know his friend has the 49k but had already put him in a cell before they got it from the bank - it took a while to sort. I guess he just needs to wait until a police officer returns and he can try and pay? Are they likely to give his passport back at this point does anyone know? And should he ask for the embassy to be contacted??  

first of all, bail is a sum of money paid to the office in the courthouse against receipt.
Indeed the court sets the amount.
It is returned after showing up in court.
49.000 sounds like a lot of bail to me for a minor offence.a
He would be let out of the lock-up after payment.
( I assume he is not in jail at this stage but at the court house or police station)
I understand that the passport would be kept at the courthouse.
There is a reporting routine also, if you miss the report, the bail is gone and the suspect goes on the wanted list.
During that period, sometimes a court hearing is held, don't miss it, where police asks for adjournment to gather more evidence.

The logistics of a court session itself and how long you'd have to wait I cannot comment on.
In some cases, so I heard, during lock up stay outrageous demands are said to have been made,
even though the case is dropped two weeks later because of lack of evidence or proof.(and bail subsequently returned)

What you should consider also however, is that it is not good to have a criminal record. 
Makes life not easier, difficulties going to work for police, army, civil service, as a lawyer, security guard, etc.

In any case, be happy that it is cannabis and not some of the heavy stuff.
A yelling match is not likely to help straightening him out though, but you'll need some close guidance of friends, habits, to keep him in the soft stuff circuit.
In any case, it will be a good lesson for a youngster who obviously is not mature enough to be let out of the country alone.

If you want to try to make a deal out of court, get a local involved.
Consular officer can tell you names of known (and trusted) lawyers.
If you do offer money yourself, that may be used against you.

Edited by KKr
oops, seems I missed a few pages of comments overnight ...

21 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

everyone in jail here in thailand has a prison account.in Phuket you just visit the jail and say u wish to have xxx baht placed in the prisoners holding account which he can use for whatever inside

Yes, I know that from personal experience and I also know that he cannot use that account for "whatever", the prisoners never have cash.

The comment I responded to was about having cash that could be shared with others and used to make life easier in police custody before bail was granted in this specific case.  Having a prison account (that does not allow the prisoner to share money with or give to other prisoners or buy favours with, it can only be used to buy personal requirements from official prison sources) and having cash are two very different things!

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2018 at 7:54 AM, harrry said:

It would be very rare for a trial to be heard in 48 hrs, 

Tell him to be well dressed, clean with a good haircut and wear trousers and a shirt with a collar when he goes to court.  It is important here.

and learn how to Wai correctly.

Some more theoretical observations represented as fact and posted before reading the entire thread. I trust the OP is not too confused or upset by them all and has a fairly clear picture of where things are - which I think is in a good position but probably involves a bit of a wait.

Edited by simoh1490

19 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Contrast that to advice you get from your embassy, from people whose names and titles you will know and who are obligated to be responsible for what they tell you.

You may know their names, but they won't be responsible for anything :P

And of course the embassy will only give hints regarding the legal ways, but in a corrupt country like thailand that's not necessarily the best

Edited by jackdd

On 2/24/2018 at 8:32 AM, cornishcarlos said:

Just make sure he doesn't sign anything, unless it's written in English..

That could end up very badly if not careful.

If he had more time, he could wait the cops out and just plead guilty to possession of a small amount. As above, not such a big fine.

Time critical, it's gonna cost for sure...

Euh, any statement is in Thai here......You have no choice then to have an interpreter. We are in Thailand, everything at police station will be in Thai.......as would be expected.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, likewise said:

Euh, any statement is in Thai here......You have no choice then to have an interpreter. We are in Thailand, everything at police station will be in Thai.......as would be expected.

That is the reality, as is the fact that most will get an interpreter provided by the police. Personally, I would not trust a verbal translation by such an interpreter in Koh Tao, especially one involving money or one that might be a "confession", but could imagine being trapped into it.

32 minutes ago, likewise said:

Then he should not sign anything

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

You can have it translated and sign the translation...

FOr Thai court only the Thai version will be used and taken into consideration.....I used to volunteer as a translator many years ago so am well aware how these things work ! Any English version will not be official for the courts.......

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Xaos said:

49k is not a bail its bribe

In Koh Tao, you are almost certainly correct. There will be a bail receipt, but it will probably list someone other than the person who paid the bail as the one who will get it back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 2/25/2018 at 12:20 PM, Just Weird said:

If he meets he requirement of the court or police, whoever grants the bail, then he will get the bail back when the case is over.  This is a tourist who will not be here in 6 months not one of your yaba-addicted Thai friends.  I do not believe that bail refunds can be withheld until 6 months of clear urine tests have been completed after a case has finished.  It's either over or it isn't.  If what you say about your friend is accurate then he was probably on bail for that whole period.

Yes he probably was. And yes, obviously this tourist would not stay here this long, which is my whole point, he would not get his bail money back. He would get out on bail and leave the country,,, the case would then be dropped and the bail money would be held by the state.

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

If only life was so easy!

1. The defendant has and is seeking consular assistance from the British Embassy.

2. There is no way that the British Embassy will issue him with an emergency passport whilst knowing that he is waiting legal proceedings against him.

3. He will be blocked in the Thai immigration system and would not be allowed to leave.

4. Last reports from his Mum were that his passport is being held by the authorities, which is normal procedure.

Then it looks like he has to sit it out. Pretty unusual afaik. 

He should go to get his visa extended so he can avoid overstay charges. Or at least go have it sorted out as good as possible.

Edited by hobz
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

And how does he achieve this without his passport?

Exactly....The kid in my story didn't get his passport back until after he was deported....i.e., not before he was physically on the plane.

• Haha 1