29 public health officials suffer from food poisoning

rooster59

29 public health officials suffer from food poisoning

By The Nation

d9ff25d0f104672b7c147c3a7c588d71.jpeg

Twenty-nine Public Health Ministry officials became sick with food poisoning on Friday morning while staying at a Pattaya hotel.

Nine of them were taken to rushed to Pattaya Hospital suffering from dizziness, vomiting, chest pains and dehydration. 

53bc0764cb86c89799a9b6b7ca784af0.jpeg

Twenty otherss suffered from diarrhea. They were given anti-biotic and anti-dehydration solution without being taken to hospital.

The affected people were among 140 public health officials from around the country who participated in a seminar at the Aiyara Pattaya Hotel from Wednesday to Friday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339540

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-24
  • Haha 2

Dozens of Thai public health officials come down with severe diarrhea after buffet lunch at top Pattaya hotel

561000001956601.JPEG

Image: Manager

Manager reported that nine Department of Public Heath officials were rushed to hospital and 20 others were treated after they had lunch at the Aiyara Grand Hotel in Pratumnak, South Pattaya.

The officials were part of a delegation numbering 140 people staying at the hotel for a conference.

The nine most seriously affected were suffering from severe diarrhea, vomiting and chest pains when medics arrived at the hotel lobby to give first aid then ferry the victims to Muang Pattaya Hospital. 

Bang Lamung public health department officials were quickly on the scene taking samples to get to the cause of the trouble.

Manager said they spoke to one of the patients who said that they had all been eating only at the hotel and the trouble started after the lunch buffet. 

Twenty others were treated with less severe symptoms.

The officials were from legal teams nationwide attending a conference about doctors' work conditions. 

Rooms at the Aiyara Grand go for about 2,000 baht a night. 

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-24

15 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

..........They were given anti-biotic and anti-dehydration solution....

Yep, must have antibiotics. The Thai medical panacea.

That's what I reach for when I get a bad case of the green apple two step.

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's what I reach for when I get a bad case of the green apple two step.

first time I heard that expression.....I had to google it, but can still not get a visual of the metaphor in my mind's eye.  Do you know the origin of this?

34 minutes ago, norrska said:

first time I heard that expression.....I had to google it, but can still not get a visual of the metaphor in my mind's eye.  Do you know the origin of this?

Sadly, all I can tell you is that I didn't come up with it (as much as I'd like the credit) and that I first heard it over 30 and probably over 50 years ago.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Can anyone tell me why people want/take antibiotics for a dose of the trots?????

Because it works?

Longer version:  In 18 years in Asia, I've had several "cases of the trots" that ended up keeping me laid up for weeks, and drained my energy for months after that.  Since I never know which case is which before it's too late, I take the antibiotics if it's more than just a few trips to the head or if there's nausea along with the squirts.  I've never been laid up more than 24 hours after taking antibiotics, and usually less than 6 hours.

Edited by impulse

A series of close up photos of the kitchen prep and cooking areas, ingredients and equipment storage, etc., taken immediately after problem started would be interesting., plus proven details  of rodent, roach spraying, etc., plus facts about what process is in place to keep all the kitchen areas dry at all times.

Never happen of course.

Why? Nobody thought about it before so not normal practice...

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Because it works?

Longer version:  In 18 years in Asia, I've had several "cases of the trots" that ended up keeping me laid up for weeks, and drained my energy for months after that.  Since I never know which case is which before it's too late, I take the antibiotics if it's more than just a few trips to the head or if there's nausea along with the squirts.  I've never been laid up more than 24 hours after taking antibiotics, and usually less than 6 hours.

Actually could be dangerous, if it is caused by a virus or a parasite like giardia.  Taking antibiotic and thinking it is working could actually delay proper treatment.  Best to stay hydrated and take a stool sample if symptoms continue.  Here's a bit of wiki for ya.

Viral

Rotavirus, norovirus, adenovirus, and astrovirus are known to cause viral gastroenteritis.[18][26] Rotavirus is the most common cause of gastroenteritis in children,[25] and produces similar rates in both the developed and developing world.[20] Viruses cause about 70% of episodes of infectious diarrhea in the pediatric age group.[13] Rotavirus is a less common cause in adults due to acquired immunity.[27] Norovirus is the cause in about 18% of all cases.[28]

Norovirus is the leading cause of gastroenteritis among adults in America, causing greater than 90% of outbreaks.[18] These localized epidemics typically occur when groups of people spend time in close physical proximity to each other, such as on cruise ships,[18] in hospitals, or in restaurants.[1] People may remain infectious even after their diarrhea has ended.[18] Norovirus is the cause of about 10% of cases in children

• Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Because it works?

In all honesty antibiotics don't do sh-t for the sh-ts.

That's because viruses and bacteria are two different things.

The fact that you felt better after taking antibiotics when you had the sh-ts is coincidence. In 99% of cases the best cure for sh-ts from food that is 'unclean' is a couple of days of rehydration and don't eat. Your body will do the rest. 

If it lasts for more than 2 or 3 days then take a dollop 'scoop your poop' to the hospital or doctor and have it looked at to find out if it's viral or bacterial and get the proper treatment.

The fact that so many people stuff antibiotics down there necks because they sneexe twice or get a dose of the runs is behind the continuing research for new antibiotics that work.

Plus if the doctor gives you antibiotics that you should take for 5 days then take the lot over 5 days. Don't stop when you feel better.

Reread your post.

Get your poo analysed for Giardia. 

Been there seen that done that.

??

Edited by overherebc