29 public health officials suffer from food poisoning

rooster59

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

In all honesty antibiotics don't do sh-t for the sh-ts.

That's because viruses and bacteria are two different things.

The fact that you felt better after taking antibiotics when you had the sh-ts is coincidence. In 99% of cases the best cure for sh-ts from food that is 'unclean' is a couple of days of rehydration and don't eat. Your body will do the rest. 

9 hours ago, norrska said:

Actually could be dangerous, if it is caused by a virus or a parasite like giardia.  Taking antibiotic and thinking it is working could actually delay proper treatment.  Best to stay hydrated and take a stool sample if symptoms continue.  Here's a bit of wiki for ya.

I'll believe my own experiences, thank you. 

You ever try to take a 30+ minute taxi ride to the hospital when you can't get more than 5 minutes away from a toilet without risking a disaster in your shorts?

E-coli and salmonella react very nicely to antibiotics.  Besides, most of my experiences have been in China and there is no way I'm going to a hospital in China and be hooked up to IV's for days and days (their standard treatment for everything)  before I try the antibiotics.  For diagnostic skills, I've also found Thailand's hospitals to be pretty sorry- handing out drugs like candy after a quick look up my nose and ears- and I've never been able to convince them to test a stool sample.

So, yes.  I self treat, and I do it at home.  It's a practical, real world thing, based on trying the other ways.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

In 20 years of visiting LOS I have been hit twice with food poisoning, both times at a buffet in BKK. (No, not piggy, just don't want to pay another 200 for juice or 200 for a bit of extra bacon, and 100 more for a couple coffee refills.) Thought I was dying and had a flight to catch in six hours. Thai lady I had met called to say goodbye, called for doctor to come out (impossible in USA), got shots, meds, infusion, made flight and after connection in Tokyo I was ordering dinner. Best $100 I ever spent.

If you look at Trip Advisers reviews you will note 5 said it was Excellent and 5 said it was Terrible, I always read reviews before I stay at a place, no doubt the hotel will be offering a free buffet next conference the Health Ministry has there, that is if they don't shut them down by then.

Reviews (93)Write a Review
Traveller rating
Excellent5
Very good12
Average6
Poor3
Terrible5
Language
All languages
English (31)
Russian (52)
Chinese (Trad.) (24)
More languages 

7 hours ago, impulse said:

You ever try to take a 30+ minute taxi ride to the hospital when you can't get more than 5 minutes away from a toilet without risking a disaster in your shorts?

E-coli and salmonella react very nicely to antibiotics.  Besides, most of my experiences have been in China and there is no way I'm going to a hospital in China and be hooked up to IV's for days and days (their standard treatment for everything)  before I try the antibiotics.  For diagnostic skills, I've also found Thailand's hospitals to be pretty sorry- handing out drugs like candy after a quick look up my nose and ears- and I've never been able to convince them to test a stool sample.

So, yes.  I self treat, and I do it at home.  It's a practical, real world thing, based on trying the other ways.

Bangkok Pattaya or Bangkok Rayong will do an analysis on your scooped poop anytime. That's how I found out I had a Giardia infection/infestation.?. On/off doses of the trots with the odd time of constipation.

Biggest problem was the two weeks no booze while on the tablets.

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Some types of e-coli and salmonella may react ok to antibiotics but not all. Without knowing exactly what the problem it's more than likely doing more harm than good by self treating based on good luck and misguided self opinion.

Yet, that's exactly what was done for some of the folks in the OP...

Twenty otherss suffered from diarrhea. They were given anti-biotic and anti-dehydration solution without being taken to hospital.

That's 20 public health officials, BTW.  Who probably know what's best- or at least have access to people who know more than I do.

Edited by impulse

14 hours ago, impulse said:
23 hours ago, overherebc said:

In all honesty antibiotics don't do sh-t for the sh-ts.

That's because viruses and bacteria are two different things.

The fact that you felt better after taking antibiotics when you had the sh-ts is coincidence. In 99% of cases the best cure for sh-ts from food that is 'unclean' is a couple of days of rehydration and don't eat. Your body will do the rest. 

23 hours ago, norrska said:

Actually could be dangerous, if it is caused by a virus or a parasite like giardia.  Taking antibiotic and thinking it is working could actually delay proper treatment.  Best to stay hydrated and take a stool sample if symptoms continue.  Here's a bit of wiki for ya.

I have used Po Chai Pills very successfully on the few occasions that I have been struck with a case so bad I had to tie my shoe laces round the toilet so no one else could claim my spot!

Po Chai Pills are a natural herbal supplement, which have been very popular for more than a century since the Ching Dynasty. They act as anti-diarrhea, anti-emetic and relieves nausea.

PO CHAI PILLS BOTTLE FORM IS GOOD FOR RELIEVING FEVER COLD. DIARRHEA, VOMITING, MOTION SICKNESS, STOMACH DISORDER, OVER-EATING, INTOXICATION AND GASTROINTESTINAL DISEASES

Not expensive and available at all Chinese dispensaries.

My Ex partner was a Brit lady, qualified as a Chinese 5 element Acupuncturist and herbalist.

She also had something similar in a liquid form, probably even better than the pills.

Each to his own though.

What works for one may not suit another.

The problem with antibiotics IMO, is that they tend to wreck the microbiome and it may take years to recover as NCC1701A mentioned.in post #9.

22 minutes ago, laislica said:

I have used Po Chai Pills very successfully on the few occasions that I have been struck with a case so bad I had to tie my shoe laces round the toilet so no one else could claim my spot!

Po Chai Pills are a natural herbal supplement, which have been very popular for more than a century since the Ching Dynasty. They act as anti-diarrhea, anti-emetic and relieves nausea.

PO CHAI PILLS BOTTLE FORM IS GOOD FOR RELIEVING FEVER COLD. DIARRHEA, VOMITING, MOTION SICKNESS, STOMACH DISORDER, OVER-EATING, INTOXICATION AND GASTROINTESTINAL DISEASES

Not expensive and available at all Chinese dispensaries.

My Ex partner was a Brit lady, qualified as a Chinese 5 element Acupuncturist and herbalist.

She also had something similar in a liquid form, probably even better than the pills.

Each to his own though.

What works for one may not suit another.

The problem with antibiotics IMO, is that they tend to wreck the microbiome and it may take years to recover as NCC1701A mentioned.in post #9.

Prepared to be corrected but the broad spectrum anti biotics tend to kill off many, if not all, of the good bacteria as well as the one making you ill.

That's why I generally give a dose of the trots a couple of days to let the body do it's own thing before swallowing over the counter meds.

A couple of days drinking sprite allowed to go flat with a quarter teaspoon of salt does it for me.

Any longer than 3 or 4 days then get help.

Any good micro-biologist will suggest the correct treatment and if that means specific anti biotics then finish all the tablets, don't stop when you feel better.

PS.

For some posters 'micro-biologist' doesn't mean a very small doctor. ??

Edit.

A few years ago I ate crab on the beach and not too many hours later it cost me a pick up front seat replacement. Was too embarrased to claim on insurance. ?

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Prepared to be corrected but the broad spectrum anti biotics tend to kill off many, if not all, of the good bacteria as well as the one making you ill.

That's why I generally give a dose of the trots a couple of days to let the body do it's own thing before swallowing over the counter meds.

A couple of days drinking sprite allowed to go flat with a quarter teaspoon of salt does it for me.

Any longer than 3 or 4 days then get help.

Any good micro-biologist will suggest the correct treatment and if that means specific anti biotics then finish all the tablets, don't stop when you feel better.

PS.

For some posters 'micro-biologist' doesn't mean a very small doctor. ??

Edit.

A few years ago I ate crab on the beach and not too many hours later it cost me a pick up front seat replacement. Was too embarrased to claim on insurance. ?

I agree with your assessment about the anti bolix.

Some time after taking them, we should eat fermented veggies. The LIDL Sauerkraut has been pasturised so all the good bacteria are dead! <deleted>, why do they do that!

Kimchee and some Greek yogurt help too but finding good ones where I live - impossible so I get "Good bacteria pills" and take them after all the anti's have left my system.

I try to rebuild a good microbiome. I also eat fibrous veggies, the good bacteria love them and it encourages them to multiply faster.

By the way, taking a complete course of anti's is now though to be wrong and is a reason for MRSA's and other resistant nasties.

Google can help.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, laislica said:

Some time after taking them, we should eat fermented veggies. The LIDL Sauerkraut has been pasturised so all the good bacteria are dead! <deleted>, why do they do that!

Kimchee and some Greek yogurt help too but finding good ones where I live - impossible so I get "Good bacteria pills" and take them after all the anti's have left my system.

I try to rebuild a good microbiome. I also eat fibrous veggies, the good bacteria love them and it encourages them to multiply faster.

By the way, taking a complete course of anti's is now though to be wrong and is a reason for MRSA's and other resistant nasties.

Google can help.

Cheers

Last time I swallowed tablets was for Giardia, not sure where it came from but believe it can even live in ice. As I posted before the worst thing was no beer etc when on the tablets.

Just for info, the old story of can't drink while taking antibio's came from the first use of penicillin for clap, first use was with members of the armed forces and just to punish the soldiers further the MO's told them no alcohol while being treated. From there it became believed everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laislica said:

Google can help.

Cheers

Fibrous veggies good idea but don't half make you fart.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

Fibrous veggies good idea but don't half make you fart.

True, but for me, only when I started to eat them.

After a while, the gut settled down and it even copes with 7 or more bulbs of Raw Chiang Mai Garlic as well as everything else..