Alcohol sales banned on Makha Bucha Day

webfact

On 2/27/2018 at 8:23 AM, faraday said:

Oh, Buddhism's a Religion now......?

Besides which, we are guests here.

Guests well , In Thailand, the freedom of religion is protected through statutory means

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Thailand

So surely as a non religious person I should be able to buy alcohol, and show my "I don't believe in fairy tales" card to prove it or maybe I can only buy  it off another non religious  person or different  believer of  fairy tales that doesn't  disapprove of alcohol sales.

PS I don't actually  drink alcohol but I might take it up depending on your reply obviously:wink:

Wow 7 pages about a non-event that happens every year (and most posts completely irrelevant to the subject in hand)! Fascinating.

Nothing to see here folks- move along please.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Wow 7 pages about a non-event that happens every year (and most posts completely irrelevant to the subject in hand)! Fascinating.

Nothing to see here folks- move along please.

Well, it seems like we turned Makha Bucha day into a school for wannabe 'shiners,' if nothing else. 

So Thailand is celebrating a different Buddhism then - it seems as Cambodia, Myanmar and Lao PDR have never heard of alcohol prohibition on a Buddhist day.

Not that I really would care but if the governments only way of showing power is such regulations, which in turn are totally ignored except the interregional operators like 7/11 and Tesco Lotus ......... 

• Like 1

The only thing I see is that the Thai people, including taxi drivers that may take tourist to the airport, are getting extremely drunk, sitting on the Soi's and drinking while the tourists that had no idea are looking for a beer. Who really suffer from this law? The Thais and expats? No they knew this was coming, so they stacked up. The people suffering are the tourists that may have come in Today with a serious jetlag and wanted a beer or a glass of red wine before sleeping and they see a Muslim country where all alcohol is banned (well in Muslim countries there are ways, but in Thailand, they are rare now and you have to be Thai to know the exceptions). I saw today thousands of tourists (not exaggerating!) looking for a drink - and at the same time loads of restaurants totally empty. The key point is this: The Thai people will NOT be punished by this, when even taxi drivers sit and drink since they knew and planned! The 1000 tourists I saw today asking me multiple times (in 3 hours only) wandering around looking for a drink were suffering. Were they all alcoholics? No, they were people having a holiday maybe on their first day and all was shut down. I am sure some people will say: Well this is a Buddhist country so people should know. Sorry to say, people coming in has NO chance of even checking or knowing this before, try search TAT's webpage (that tourists not even know about) about these days, forget it, since they try to hide it. The Chinese tourists does not even understand. Wake up and stop lying to people!

57 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Did everyone survive the alcohol sales-free day?

Phew!

I'm actually thankful for it. could still buy booze at shop right opposite my house but i thought what the hell. I'll do a dry day and feel as bright as a button today. think i may even lay off it for a while. thanks Buddha

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Did everyone survive the alcohol sales-free day?

Phew!

I just made sure to keep my eyes on the roof edges of tall buildings so I could dodge the distraught expats throwing themselves off.

Edit.

Could have used another word instead of 'throwing'

Max Somebody ????

Edited by overherebc